banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The reason that V3 is killing your tubes is that the voltage is higher in that slot. I had the same problem in my JVM. There are a couple of times on the market that can handle V3. Off the top of my head the only one I can remember for sure is TAD. Iirc, it can handle up to 180v. You’ll need to look at the spec sheets for whatever tube you’re thinking of installing in V3.
    I can’t speak to your amps, but this issue is known with the JVM. If you google it you’ll find lots of info on it.
    Thanks dude! I will ask my amp tech too
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
      Thanks dude! I will ask my amp tech too
      No problem. It frustrated me to no end until I found out what was happening! Hate to see you going through the same thing.
      Iirc, V3 only had about 5v extra running through it. That’s probably why the tube functioned for a short time until it eventually failed. Just enough extra voltage to become a problem.

Comment

Do think JJ ECC83s would suffer the same? In the past I never had issues with them or sovtek LPS 12ax7. Juts Tung Sol and Eh12ax7's
        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
          Do think JJ ECC83s would suffer the same? In the past I never had issues with them or sovtek LPS 12ax7. Juts Tung Sol and Eh12ax7's
          You would have to check the spec sheets. Any answer I could give you would be a guess.

Comment

I dont know, but I have JJs and Tung sols of the same type made with different heater sizes, vacuum measurements, socket materials by the same companies. So just saying JJs sound like this compared to Ting Sols or vice versa is really not telling the whole tale. This thread needs more detail if it's going to come to any real conclusions or value.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1sx1aj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	5816599

Comment

^^^ LOL

JJ's are fine in cathode followers, as are the Chinese 12ax7s

I do think it's funny people speak of the power tube changes in such drastic terms. Are you biasing each time? IMO especially with a marshall, the differences are subtle.. when the tubes are of like condition

I swear a lot of these internet reviews are 'oh these were better than my X and there's way more low end and detail'...yeah but your X were 3 years old with 50 gigs on them and biased cold...
                Playing:
                Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
                Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
                Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
                Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Working...
                X