banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JJ ECC83s or Tung-Sol 12AX7 current production?

It really depends on the amp and cab you are using. I hated JJ's in my laneys in the v1 and v2 positions. Muddy and mushy. The Tungsols sounded fantastic, brighter and much more clarity and punch. Unfortunatley in my GH50l they added hum. They work great in my Lionheart in v1 though.

I generally use a mixture of Tunsol for the punch and clarity and use Penta Labs and maybe a single JJ to add a little chewiness to the tone, if that makes any sence.

As I said one tube may sound great with one setup but will sound terrible with another.

Comment

The new TS's are killer...brighter and more articulate than the JJ's but not brittle at all...I much prefer them to the JJ FWIW...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have had very mixed luck with microphonics and them just quitting way too soon or being DOA. The ones that have actually worked seem OK to me. I honestly need a few X7s right now and will not be ordering the Tung Sols. I am just scared of the shottyness I have experienced thus far.
        I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

I don't have any problem with either but choose for sound in the various amps I use tubes in. I'd never load any amp up completely with either tube.
          Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
          Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Im a tube whore! i tried a few, best bet is getting used or new nos tubes. I was surprised that the sovtek lps sounded very close to the nos tubes, well worth it IMO.
            tone slut
            Marshall DSL 40C
            Fender EVH Striped Series
            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
            Fender Squier Tele Affinity
            Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords View Post
              I don't have any problem with either but choose for sound in the various amps I use tubes in. I'd never load any amp up completely with either tube.
              Great advice as usual Wixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                Im a tube whore! i tried a few, best bet is getting used or new nos tubes. I was surprised that the sovtek lps sounded very close to the nos tubes, well worth it IMO.
                I just installed 2 sovteks LPS and one EI tube which all replaced JJ tubes in my Engl Screamer. The amp sounds so much better now o.O Clear but not harsh, smooth really.

The problem I have with the sovtek is, that they don't glow so bright as the other tubes, does it mean I got some duds altough it sounds good?
                Last edited by StrangeSound; 04-17-2009, 12:56 AM.
                Originally posted by Guitarist
                Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

I'm interested in the Tung-Sol 12AX7s for use in some of my Mesa amps. I agree that the JJ's are a little too dark. I've used the EH 12AX7s, but the Groove Tubes GY12AX7-M "Mullard clone" sound the smoothest and creamiest in the Mark Series amps. I gather these are hard to find now; and some have reported them to be noisy and short-lived. The Mesas need a very high quality tube in the V1 socket: durable, with low-noise, and it must be non-microphonic.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the Tung-Sol versus the EH, and the GT 12AX7-M? The New Sensor Mullard looks interesting, too.

TIA.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I use Tung-sol in the pre-amp and a JJ el84. The Tungsol is bright and grittier by a lil bit in my amp. I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeSound View Post
                      I just installed 2 sovteks LPS and one EI tube which all replaced JJ tubes in my Engl Screamer. The amp sounds so much better now o.O Clear but not harsh, smooth really.

The problem I have with the sovtek is, that they don't glow so bright as the other tubes, does it mean I got some duds altough it sounds good?
                      its normal for those tubes.
                      tone slut
                      Marshall DSL 40C
                      Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeSound View Post

Yeah I have the LPS in my Screamer too and they sound amazing. Much better than the JJ ones or stock tubes. I did test drive a gold pin Tung Sol in the V1 for a couple days though. Its a nice tube but the LPS suit this amp so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan View Post
                          Yeah I have the LPS in my Screamer too and they sound amazing. Much better than the JJ ones or stock tubes. I did test drive a gold pin Tung Sol in the V1 for a couple days though. Its a nice tube but the LPS suit this amp so much better.
                          I wanted to sell the amp but it was just the stoopid JJ preamp tubes, it sounds really great now. Cheers
                          Originally posted by Guitarist
                          Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                          http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

good deal man
                            tone slut
                            Marshall DSL 40C
                            Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulPlayer View Post
                              I made my comparisons with an 18 watt Marshall clone 1x12 w/Greenback RI and an LP with Seths and 500K CTS pots.

To my ears (and with my particular tube samples), the JJ 12AX7's were more compressed than the Tung Sols. The seemed to lop off the initial attack and had a slower, longer decay...literally as if a compressor effect was put into the signal chain. The JJ's had a low-mid emphasis which gives them that "warmer" sound, but they still had plenty of high-treble bite. The midrange was slightly fatter. I have an older GT-labeled version that is not as compressed with a slightly darker character that I like better. The test samples above were too compressed and "sterile" to me.

The Tung Sol reissue 12AX7's were more open with better touch sensitivity and dynamics. They had less apparent sustain due to a lack of relative compression. They are very detailed with nice upper-end harmonics and complexity. They are not sterile sounding. They are brighter than the JJ's and have a slighly scooped midrange to my ears along with a stronger low bass response; low notes were a bit too bassy. Although they sound very nice, they thinned out the tone of this particular amp. They sound more "Fender" than "Marshall."
                              I agree with this assessment, but I will add how this applies to the Marshall JCM2000 TSL100, of which I own two of them. In regards to JJecc-83s, the have a much quicker pick attack than the Tung Sols, tighter low end, fuller more even midrange, and are not harsh on the top end, no spickyness or twang that the Tun Sols suffer from. They are perfect with the JJ-ECC803 I have in the PI position. I currently have ecc-83s in V1-2-3, replacing my Tung Sols.

The Tung Sold have a tendancy to die in the V3 cathode follower of these amps, I have lost 2. As you mentioned " They are brighter than the JJ's and have a slighly scooped midrange to my ears along with a stronger low bass response; low notes were a bit too bassy", in my Marshalls the TOO BASSY part means flubby mud to these Marshalls.

My current Power Tubes are the JJ E34L in one amp (going to change soon to the JJ-EL34II), and my main amp JJ-EL34II, which I absolutely love. Tried Tung Sol EL34B's, Winged C's, Mullard RI, Svetlana S, and the JJ-EL34II just tops them all.
                              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                                I agree with this assessment, but I will add how this applies to the Marshall JCM2000 TSL100, of which I own two of them. In regards to JJecc-83s, the have a much quicker pick attack than the Tung Sols, tighter low end, fuller more even midrange, and are not harsh on the top end, no spickyness or twang that the Tun Sols suffer from. They are perfect with the JJ-ECC803 I have in the PI position. I currently have ecc-83s in V1-2-3, replacing my Tung Sols.

The Tung Sold have a tendancy to die in the V3 cathode follower of these amps, I have lost 2. As you mentioned " They are brighter than the JJ's and have a slighly scooped midrange to my ears along with a stronger low bass response; low notes were a bit too bassy", in my Marshalls the TOO BASSY part means flubby mud to these Marshalls.

My current Power Tubes are the JJ E34L in one amp (going to change soon to the JJ-EL34II), and my main amp JJ-EL34II, which I absolutely love. Tried Tung Sol EL34B's, Winged C's, Mullard RI, Svetlana S, and the JJ-EL34II just tops them all.
                                The reason that V3 is killing your tubes is that the voltage is higher in that slot. I had the same problem in my JVM. There are a couple of times on the market that can handle V3. Off the top of my head the only one I can remember for sure is TAD. Iirc, it can handle up to 180v. You’ll need to look at the spec sheets for whatever tube you’re thinking of installing in V3.
                                I can’t speak to your amps, but this issue is known with the JVM. If you google it you’ll find lots of info on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X