WTB - PJ Marx pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - PJ Marx pickups

WTB PJ Marx pickups. Lemme know whatcha got. Thanks!

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Re: WTB - PJ Marx pickups

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
    WTB PJ Marx pickups. Lemme know whatcha got. Thanks!
    You said earlier that you know PJ Marxx? Unfortunately there is little information on the Internet. There's a Brad Gillis bucker on eBay, but I think it is overpriced. I have an 812 that I am keeping until I get an idea what it sounds like in a Baritone I am building, I know the 412's I sold to Fusion1 would be too dark for a Baritone.

Comment

I have a Brad Gillis humbucker that came with my HM Strat (not original of course).

What's the deal with these?

It reads 12.84K.

I took it out because I trying to restore the HM Strat to the original wiring.

Comment

Did it suck or what?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I have a Brad Gillis humbucker that came with my HM Strat (not original of course).

It reads 12.84K.

I like the Brad Gillis P/U. Years ago I installed one for a friend in his RG550. Sounded good. It's ballsy and rather dark. I WAS pretty surprised that the harmonics weren't all that great compared to other rock 'n roll pickups.

I own a Jeff Watson model which is brighter and harmonics FLY out of it!.
          Last edited by JohnnyGuitarCA; 03-16-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

The latest one on eBay went for $150 and that's WAY overpriced.

There was a Brad Gillis p/u on eBay that sold for $39.95 a week or two ago. I should have snagged it but we're getting a new house so everything is going toward that right now. Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
              You said earlier that you know PJ Marxx? Unfortunately there is little information on the Internet. There's a Brad Gillis bucker on eBay, but I think it is overpriced. I have an 812 that I am keeping until I get an idea what it sounds like in a Baritone I am building, I know the 412's I sold to Fusion1 would be too dark for a Baritone.
              Yep, I know PJ. He's a great guy. Known him since he was 15, which was back in '81. He was a monster guitarist even back then!

I collect pickups and change them a LOT in my guitars, so if you decide that you want to sell your 812 please let me know. Thanks!
              Last edited by JohnnyGuitarCA; 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I bought three PJ marxx humbuckers and I was surprised! The two 412's were a very low K reading, but yet they were loud and clear! The 412's had a very deep bass, that I hadn't heard in a passive pickup. They also had a raspy high end that gave them presence. Big, round, punchy bass with a raspy high end. Since they are epoxy potted they are very transparent and they had massive balls, with fuzzy hair.

The 812, I really can't judge yet? I had it hooked up for a little while and it sounded like ass! The magnet was dead and I needed to recharge it. I recharged the magnet and it sounds like Tonni Iommi on Born Again. Dipped mids, solid and steathly bass and a piercing high end. I hope it works well with a Baritone guitar.

Comment

It reads 12.84K.

Are you getting a DiMarzio Super 3 to restore your HM Strat to original specs?

If you decide you want to sell the Brad Gillis p/u, please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

I recharged the magnet and it sounds like Tonni Iommi on Born Again. Dipped mids, solid and steathly bass and a piercing high end. I hope it works well with a Baritone guitar.
                    Born Again is my favorite Sabbath album, so lemme know if you decide to sell that 812!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
                      Are you getting a DiMarzio Super 3 to restore your HM Strat to original specs?

If you decide you want to sell the Brad Gillis p/u, please let me know. Thanks!
                      I have a Super 3, but someone drill it for a direct mount.

The Brad Gillis was direct mounted in the HM strat as well. Kind of ironic, huh?

BTW, this pickup isn't the prettiest. It's made out of an orange resin/epoxy or something, that's been painted black. There is a couple of dings where the orange is showing through the black.

The Brad Gillis sticker on the back has a couple of pieces of tape over it.

I'll post pictures, but can someone else so that I can see if this is even legit or not?
                      Last edited by DonP; 03-17-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                        Did it suck or what?
                        Impossible to tell. The guitar wiring was so hacked up you didn't know what was on when you switched pickups.

For one, someone put Aria dual rail singles in the neck and mid positions. These are humbucking singles of course.

But then they tied all of the middle connections together to a push/pull pot to go into single coil mode. Well, it you have every pickup tied half way to each other, what do you really have? Who knows.

I just started ripping stuff out. My hangup at the moment is the Super3 having the mounts drilled. I need a couple of nuts to solder to the baseplate so that I can install it correctly.

Then, I need a pair of correct single coils.

Comment

I have a Super 3, but someone drill it for a direct mount.

The Brad Gillis was direct mounted in the HM strat as well. Kind of ironic, huh?

BTW, this pickup isn't the prettiest. It's made out of an orange resin/epoxy or something, that's been painted black. There is a couple of dings where the orange is showing through the black.

The Brad Gillis sticker on the back has a couple of pieces of tape over it.

I'll post pictures, but can someone else so that I can see if this is even legit or not?
                          Yes, it's most likely legit. PJ Marx used to do all kinds of freaked out colors and mixtures of colors.

Comment

My 812 is black with lime green splatter. I painted it black.

Comment

My 812 is black with lime green splatter. I painted it black.
                              I don't blame ya! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X