This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: By Request: How to Add an LED to Your Wah

Same LED setup as before, except the white negative wire from the LED is running back to the audio output jack’s sleeve (same place as the grey power wire in the step above).

Note also that this pedal uses true bypass – the audio wiring takes up both the right side and center poles of the switch. The LED switching is on the left.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Viola! A simple, old-school Vox pedal with a power jack and LED. Comparing the amount of open space in this pedal to Phil's 535Q makes my head hurt.
      Last edited by Rich_S; 03-27-2009, 02:27 PM.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

Comment

If you haven't seen this, here are the three wahs I worked on this week.

On the left, my personal, modded-all-to-hell old Cry Baby. No board-mounted jacks in this old thing.

Center, my Boss' Vox, as featured above. I put in the power jack, LED, and true bypass.

On the right, my Boss' Cry Baby, also featured above. This one just needed the LED and a new pot.

He also has a RMC Picture wah. I put in an LED and replaced its busted stomp switch a few weeks ago. Modding pedals might seem like a boring hobby to some folks, but let me tell you... drilling a hole in your boss' $235 wah pedal is plenty exciting.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

Comment

Here's what I would do with the 535Q.

First, make sure there's room for a 3PDT in place of the existing switch.

Second, carefully trace the pattern on the little PC board on the back of the switch, and sketch how the four wires in the ribbon cable connect to the six terminals on the switch.

Next, unsolder the ribbon from the old switch's little PC board. Slice the ribbon apart into four separate wires as needed. Re-solder them onto the new 3PDT switch per the sketch. Test the pedal at this point to make sure it still works.

Finally, mount the LED as described previously. You might need to find a different location for the LED - that corner of the 535Q looks pretty crowded in the pics. Either remove the boards & stuff before you drill, or be reeealleeey careful you don't run your drill through something vital and complicated.
          Last edited by Rich_S; 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

Thanks for this thread Rich!

I was already planning on putting an LED in my BYOC Wah, but I had planned on putting it on the top, not the side. I like the side-mounted idea.

Also, I was either going to bezel mount it, or use some epoxy to glue it to the inside of the case. Even with the 11/64" hole, I'd be concerned that a wayward foot at a gig would knock it back into the case. Is this concern unfounded?
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
              Thanks for this thread Rich!

I was already planning on putting an LED in my BYOC Wah, but I had planned on putting it on the top, not the side. I like the side-mounted idea.

Also, I was either going to bezel mount it, or use some epoxy to glue it to the inside of the case. Even with the 11/64" hole, I'd be concerned that a wayward foot at a gig would knock it back into the case. Is this concern unfounded?

Not with the smaller hole. I did that on the Boss' RMC, then put a small tie-wrap around the LED leads, bundling them to the rest of the switch wiring. That held the LED in its hole, but gave a little bit of spring-action if it got pushed.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

Comment

Thanks for the info Rich! I really appreciate it! Me and Bass_Bear will scout out the inside of the pedal, and try to figure it out without destroying something important.

Once again, thank you for posting this, total vault material.
                - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Working...
                X