Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $359 for an EVH pickup?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    If that's a Duncan CS model, then probably so.

I like Duncan & DiMarzio prices, and think that once you get above those, it's past the point of diminishing returns for pickups.
    Well, when you consider that a pick up is really comprised of just $10-$15 worth of plastic and metal, the phrase "past the point of diminishing returns" takes on an entirely different, even more cynical dimension doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jjimi1647 View Post
      Well, when you consider that a pick up is really comprised of just $10-$15 worth of plastic and metal, the phrase "past the point of diminishing returns" takes on an entirely different, even more cynical dimension doesn't it?
      I don't think the way I used the phrase was cynical. When I buy a DiMarzio or Duncan, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the deal. Around $70 is what I feel a pickup is worth in the tonal equation. There is probably a boutique pickup that would make me happier, but not for more than twice the cost.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        Around $70 is what I feel a pickup is worth in the tonal equation. There is probably a boutique pickup that would make me happier, but not for more than twice the cost.
        I suppose you're right, $70 is the acceptable threshold. I've paid half as much ($35 for a GFS VEH) and over twice as much ($160 for an SD EVH '78) and I am extremely happy with both pick-ups!

Comment

as odd as it sounds i could see myself trying an EVH PU just out of curiousness.. i was always a huge VH fan... these days i am not trying to copy his tone but i get close enough on some standard gear i have here... a modded 1999 MIM Strat with a Duncan Custom bucker gets me so close to the sounds on Diver Down that it's scary... a cheap $199 used strat with a $50 used PU..... a few used heads bought for cheap, a 5150 and a JCM800... mind you a 5150 is the later day EVH amp... EVH in his youth did the same thing, bought used cheap gear... but in his case he rocked the world with it...

when it comes to copying players sounds i've been finding that really fine tuning your guitar to the recording is more important then finding the exact amp and PU.... as long as your gear gets ya close and you can do the rest!

but in a Warmoth build or something i could see trying a EVH Humbucker for kix's...

Comment

Originally posted by jjimi1647 View Post
            These arguments about cost of materials remind me of the old joke about the consultant who charged 1,000 to put an "X" on a faulty part that stopped an assembly line. His itemized invoice read
            • Chalk Stick: $1
            • Knowing where to put the "X": $999
            If you think you can wind a pickup for 15 bucks and have it turn out as good as a commercial pup without investing scores of hours and thousands of feet of wire learning to do it right, knock yourself out.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
            My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
              If you think you can wind a pickup for 15 bucks and have it turn out as good as a commercial pup without investing scores of hours and thousands of feet of wire learning to do it right, knock yourself out.
              Never even impiled that, I was referring to the actual price of the parts used in manufacture, not the labor, or the "research" and experience that goes into building one.

Comment

I don't get the Ed greediness thing. He does not need the $. The pickup is worth every penny, IMO. I realize it's expensive, but try it before you have an opinion.
                Do YOU get ToneWoodys? Then go to WoodyTone.com!

And check out my NEW blog too: AmpGAS!

Popular WoodyTone blog posts:
                > Is the New EVH Pickup ‘the’ Pickup? Sorta!
                > Review: EVH Frankie Pickup Worth Every Penny

Comment

Originally posted by WoodyTone View Post
                  I don't get the Ed greediness thing. He does not need the $.
                  He doesn't, but Wolfgang will most likely inherit his father's company someday so, maybe Ed's just making sure he's taken care of.
                  Also, let's face it, it cost FMIC big bucks to get Ed onboard. They need to get their share too!

Originally posted by WoodyTone View Post
                  The pickup is worth every penny, IMO. I realize it's expensive, but try it before you have an opinion.
                  It is a great pick up! To me, it sounds like what would happen if you combined the most desirable elements of the sh-11 Custom Custom and the EVH '78... you have all the sweet mid range with just the right amount of warm crunch and harmonics when opened up and a nice clear, defined sound when pulled back to clean.
                  Here's what it sounds like:
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The relic is a heavy hit, but the obvious choice is the "clean" version which can be bought for $139.95!...

...or you can order the "IM1" from the SD Custom Shop for $160.
                  Last edited by jjimi1647; 03-30-2009, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X