Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyd Rose: Original or Licensed

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
    I disagree on the build quality, as almost all parts of the Schaller are identical and interchangeable to those an an OFR, the only notable difference is the baseplate itself (as you said powdered steel with hardened knife edge inserts). Whether on not one likes the tone and feel is of course debatable, but I donīt find the quality any worse in any way. Especially after they started using brass inserts for the intonation screws in 1992 becasue people were letting gorillas cinch the saddles down causing the holes to strip.

Side note: the Schaller plate is the diecast one, the OFR plates are laser cut and bent from a solid sheet, Iīve seen it first hand
    Agreed - even on Schaller web page they admit that they make both the OFR and their own Floyd and parts are interchangable.

Comment

The new ones Zerb..not the bloody old ones

Comment

I though we were living on the ī00s ?? Did I miss a decade?

Or you mean say in the last 2-3 years or so? Haven`t bought one new since like 2k5 or so, jsut saying I havenīt noticed it untlil at least that point
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Dunno....I feel like I missed two by now
          Hehe
          Anyways had a FRII on my Heartfield super....was identical to one of my Schallers...except is was lighter, prolly the materials and a zinc block...
          Found a replacement this weekend, from an old Lag strat...lol
          That is a real Schaller.

Comment

^^ Zinc block should be a very noticable weight difference compared to brass I think, with it being more noticable the bigger the block gets... Iīd say probably 100 grams or so at least...

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Right - getting really confused now!!

I mentioned zinc in an earlier and it seems to have spawned debate. I;m not saying its inferior - just quoting whats on the Schaller website...

"Great sustain, great response, finest Floyd Rose sound thanks to a zinc base plate."

http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp135...e_-Tremolo.htm

My only other point is that the factory "Fender Floyd Rose II" fitted on my guitar was not of equal quality with a retail Schaller unit.

Schaller units are extremely well made - I have had some recent experince with them. No hesistation in ordering a Schaller Floyd Rose unit.

Comment

^^ ah, thatīs new to me that the plates are diecast zinc, but if Schaller posts it on their site themselves then I have no reason to doubt it.... I am however fairly certain the old ones were diecast steel and not zinc, though..

Comment

Just did some reading on the Ping Floyds - they seem a reasonable replacement.

However, maybe I'm drawn in by that big ol brass sustain block

Anyone had experience of these??

Can only find one stockist on the net... no stock

http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=132

Comment

Eh the Gotoh usually has a big block of brass....well mine has, and all the others I have seen and such.
                    My old Schaller has the usual steel block...
                    The zinc is news to me...
                    Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 04-22-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I donīt think Ive ever seen a steel OFR /Schaller block..

At least magnets donīt stick to any of mine, and the corners I just filed off of 2 were pure brass... Not saying there arenīt steel blocks around, but I donīt think Schaller makes them...

Comment

Doh.....haha just had a magnet to check it out....
                        Must be zinc then

Comment

Some real good comments on this thread - thanks for your input guys!

Though, we still havent heard those who have bought a OFR in the last couple of years with comments on quality.

Has the quality taken a turn for the worst?? Or has the quality of licensed Floyds improved, therefore closing the gap.

Any recent OFR owners out there for comment??

Comment

My 2001 CIJ Fender Iron Maiden Strat has a newer OFR (the one that came on it) and my Kramer has an OFR from the time (late 80's). I honestly cannot feel a difference between the two. The biggest differences between them is the newer one has an aftermarket brass block on it that was put on by its previous owner and the newer ones mount with a stud/post system where the old ones mounted with a screw post right in to the wood. The stud/post system has been around a long time though.

Comment

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

Most of my guitars have the jackson JT580LP, Schaller (I believe/usually says so) FR licensed copies.

These fit Dinkys and Soloists - well, that's mostly where I have/use them.
                              I also have an OFR that came installed on a higher end USA made soloist, as well as a new model of (Chinese made) Charvel!

So, are these jackson trems good/bad/worse than for example, the FR 'special' made in Korea, or the FR II?
                              These jackson/Schaller trems seem to work fine and sound fine, rarely go out of tune.

After playing an OFR on the 2 guitars I have that have them, I am looking for an upgrade path for the non-OFR guitars and can't realistically spend full pop for a full-fledged OFR, for many guitars. Any recommendations?
                              Do I need to be concerned with the low-profile designation-does that mean string height is lower than OFR?

Also, these jackson trems are expected to wear/fail where: knife edges? baseplate adjustment threads?
                              A lot of my guitars are from the early 90's, but it's not like I play all of them everyday.

thanks guys.

beck

Comment

welcome to the forum beck. your best day that will be to start a new thread and ask your questions. you will get more responses that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X