X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well 69: ImmortalSix

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    What is the single biggest disappointment you have ever had to deal with?

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

-Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Comment

Were you not aware

that WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN

CANNOT BE UNSEEN
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I was pretty disappointed by the actions of Seung-Hui Cho on April 16, 2007. That's a pretty heavy topic, though.

Comment

In as much detail as you can disclose, describe your job/worklife.

Comment

What's your greatest fear? Do you consider it an irrational fear?
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  In as much detail as you can disclose, describe your job/worklife.
                  Up front, I'll tell you guys, I went to school for Geospatial Analysis --- GIS, mapping, etc. Right now, what I'm doing is mostly "comms" focused --- everything from mapping (as in, showing the geospatial extent of) commercial telecommunication infrastructure dependecies to telecom analysis all the way down to circuit level and equipment level as in "What port on an ESS 5 switch will be used for this circuit?"

It's not perfect for my brain, but it keeps my wife well taken care of.

I spend a lot of hours figuring out what homes to what (parent-child analysis) and figuring out what telecom facilities will serve a given asset --- e.g. a DHS facility on 123 Main St. gets it's voice and data service from what end office (EO)? What signalling transfer protocal equipment (STP's) does that EO rely on for signalling service? What access tandem (AT) does that EO use for inter-LATA trunking? Stuff like that.

I'm a consultant, though, so I move around to different tasks.

I used to work at FEMA Headquarters, making maps of wildfires, incoming hurricanes, flooding. That was a cool job but I quit it to become a consultant where there's more room to grow.

I used to work at The Pentagon, where I did just exactly whatever the hell I was told. Loved that work environment --- nobody's afraid to hurt your feelings in a military setting, and it's very efficient as a result.

I know I'm not fulfilling my total potential, but I yam where I yam.

One day I'd like to get into localized energy production, but I'll need to tuck some more education under my hat before I can go charging off in that direction.

-Hunter
                  Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-11-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

^ Does your head hurt often?!?

Apart from music, what do you do to relax?
                    👣
                    👣
                    💀

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                      What's your greatest fear? Do you consider it an irrational fear?
                      I never think about what my "fears" are. I certainly have a list of things I 'd never like to experience (death by getting dragged under a bus, for example) but there's no single thing that, if it happened, I'd say "There it is, my worst fear, realized!"

I don't have a capstone "fear" but here is a list of things I don't want to do / experience:

Death of a child
                      Untimely death of my wife
                      Getting dragged under a bus until I die
                      Death by fire
                      Getting tortured
                      Involuntary eyeball removal

Pretty localized stuff, most of which is, ahem, avoidable.

I am not one of those people that fear they may lose all their money, or lose the love of their family --- my life will happen as I influence it's course with my decisions, and I'll be glad to take everything I get.

-Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Redmist View Post
                        ^ Does your head hurt often?!?

Apart from music, what do you do to relax?
                        Yeah, the job is pretty techy / nerd stuff, and yes, there are many days where I come home and grab a guitar and a beer and just sit there and do "nothing" for about 15 minutes to let my brain defrost a little bit

To relax, and this may sound totally crazy to some of you, I really like to just be by myself, with no hurry or vectors of need pulling me in any direction.

I feel like I always have to be some place at a certain time or I have to do something tough, or I have to go to the **** grocery store, and I really, really just like to have a few hours (minimum!) to just do anything or nothing or just whatever the hell I decide.

My wife was out of town this weekend and I got home after the musical I'm playing in on Friday night, and I put in a concert DVD, turned the A/C down to refrigerator temperatures (she hates that!), got a beer and just sat there and enjoyed the solitude. Some guys want to go crazy when nobody's watching, but not me, I just want a little R&R.

So much of my life, as a husband, an active musician, a consultant, is dictated by what other people want. It's truly relaxing to be the only one controlling my actions for a spell.

-Hunter
                        Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

(assuming you watch television)

What is your favorite TV show to watch with your wife?

What TV show do you love but your wife doesn't like?

Why does Firefox think all my contractions are misspellings?
                          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Ms. Spelling

Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                              (assuming you watch television)

What is your favorite TV show to watch with your wife?

What TV show do you love but your wife doesn't like?

Why does Firefox think all my contractions are misspellings?
                              To watch with her: Arrested Development on DVD --- she's got the brains to enjoy it, and I appreciate that. How I Met Your Mother --- it's a well written and funny show that she enjoys as much as I do. 30 Rock, The Office.

Love but she hates: the usual guy shows: King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Simpsons. I love to put on King of the Hill because it reminds me so much of my dad (=Hank Hill), but she just doesn't "get" the humor.

We are strictly internet tv watchers --- no cable in our house, and we get terrible, terrible, terrible over-the-air reception at our place. We get all our TV from hulu.com and the stations' websites.

I'd don't know'st. I hate that too, I'm glad somebody else in the universe has "the didn't problem" too!

Comment

Fun Fact: I hold a Class B CDL (Commercial Driver's License), and I used to be a bus driver.

I could thread a needle with that thing man, I loved driving the bus!

Every so often, we would have a "Roadeo" and run a challenging course with our 42 footers --- you'd have to back up around corners, do slalom, diminishing clearance at speed (hold a speed within 2 mph and the cones get closer and closer together), drive your rear duals over a tennis ball without knocking it over (there was enough space between the 2 tires to not knock it off if you did it perfectly) and all sorts of other fun tests of skill.

Comment

Working...
                                X