SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

I'm thinking about swapping the pickups in my SG Standard. The stock pickups are good but, in my opinion, ehh when it comes to power and clarity. My other guitars have Duncan Distortion's, love the tone, and are constructed of Maple neck-thru with either mahogany or walnut wings. Would an SD Distortion work well in a mahogany SG?

I prefer the aged nickel covers but can find them stocked anywhere. Would this be a special order pickup?

I assume the spacing would be SH.

Thanks!

Re: SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

I like Distortions in SGs. Actually, SGs are the perfect guitars for Distortions, in my opinion. The aggressive top end and tight bass of the Distortion complements a thin mahogany body very nicely, adding some clarity, articulation and punch without getting thin.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your tastes, but I think you'd probably like the combination.

Comment

I like the Custom better in my SG's for the big bottom. But the Distortion set I had was a huge improvement over the stock 490's. Definately made it a killer tone machine.

On a side note if you stuff a A5 mag in the neck 490 and switch out the bridge with a Custom or Distortion you won't be sorry. I like the 490 neck, but with the A2 mag in it it can get muddy when you EQ your amp for the bridge pickup. The A5 tightens it up just right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyking View Post
        I like the Custom better in my SG's for the big bottom. But the Distortion set I had was a huge improvement over the stock 490's. Definately made it a killer tone machine.

On a side note if you stuff a A5 mag in the neck 490 and switch out the bridge with a Custom or Distortion you won't be sorry. I like the 490 neck, but with the A2 mag in it it can get muddy when you EQ your amp for the bridge pickup. The A5 tightens it up just right.
        +1. The 490R is a whole new PU with an A5; big improvement. Makes it a very good PAF. And the 490T is better with a mag swap too, either an A4 or A8 for more output & better bite.

I agree about the Custom in an SG too, although I prefer it in the form of a C5 or C8.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Fikealox View Post
          I like Distortions in SGs. Actually, SGs are the perfect guitars for Distortions, in my opinion. The aggressive top end and tight bass of the Distortion complements a thin mahogany body very nicely, adding some clarity, articulation and punch without getting thin.
          This basically nails what I'm going for.

Originally posted by Dirtyking View Post

I like the Distortion so I may just go with that.

A mag swap in the 490 sounds cool. I've never been particular with neck pickups aside from not liking them muddy.

Blueman335, I've noticed you're big on mag swaps. I've been wanting to try one. Is there a tutorial posted?

Thanks!

Comment

I hate the Custom in my SG standard.

JB/A2 didn't go as well as in a LP either.

I'll dry a DD next but then it's into the land of dual-magnet pickups.

Comment

DD is the best pickup for me in my SG. I've tried a few others throughout the years but always came back to the DD in the SG. Neck I added a 496R which is similar to my ears as a DD neck. Also modded both with hex poles.

Comment

bah
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Time Stood Still View Post
                  This basically nails what I'm going for.
                  Blueman335, I've noticed you're big on mag swaps. I've been wanting to try one. Is there a tutorial posted?

this is what I learned from...
                  my soundclick page

Comment

Blueman335, I've noticed you're big on mag swaps. I've been wanting to try one. Thanks!
                    I used to buy a lot of PU's, try them, been disappointed, & sold them. But once I found out about replacement magnets, I found out that every HB & P-90 has multiple personalities, and if you've only tried it with the stock magnet, you don't know what that PU is capable of. Guys here have bought half a dozen PU's searching for their magic tone, and some have given up after taken a financial beating. That's just too expensive & time-consuming.

Once you have a PU that makes sense for your needs, if the EQ is close, but not quite what you want (the guitar's wood is the usual culprit), then a magnet swap may give it the nudge it needs. I've done it with dozens of PU's. With a $5 magnet & 10 minutes, you have a new PU. Classic example is the Duncan Custom (ceramic) which becomes the C5 (A5) or the CC (A2), not to mention the wildcat versions that are popular here, the C8 & C4. That's five different PU's just from magnet changes. Don't like one? Try another magnet. There's a very good chance that if you want a high output bridge PU, there's a version of the Custom that you'll like.

The Gibson day and night 498T/490R set, which many players think is mismatched (it is), is greatly improved with an A5 in the neck & an A8 in the bridge. Completely different, and better sound.

There's been a recent trend here to try unusual mag swaps, like putting A8's in low output bridge PU's ('59B, PGB, etc), and combining different magnets in twin magnet PU's (P-90's and HB-sized P-90's) to get a blend of EQ's. You're only limited by your imagination.

If I can help, let me know.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I just put a DD in a 61 reissue SG.....it's now the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I had a gig last weekend and got a ton of compliments on the sound of that guitar! I kept the stock pots, I assume they're 250k or 300k.....I have no desire to change them. I left the stock 57 Classic in the neck. I'm very happy with that guitar.......
                      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I'm about to order the Duncan Distortions for my SG Standard. What spacing should I go with. SH?

Does anyone have pics of their Seymour Duncan'd SG?

Comment

I'm about to order the Duncan Distortions for my SG Standard. What spacing should I go with. SH?

Does anyone have pics of their Seymour Duncan'd SG?

Comment

Nice uOpt !

Here's mine --

1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
                            Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
                            Marshall JVM205H
                            Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
                            Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
                            + a bunch of pedals

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X