X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    I hate the Custom in my SG standard.

JB/A2 didn't go as well as in a LP either.

I'll dry a DD next but then it's into the land of dual-magnet pickups.

Can you tell us a bit more about that A2 JB please !

Sounds like something i might like, on B&W anyways !

Thanks
    James
    Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Gibson SG Special w. SD A2P's ->pedal board ->Bassman

Comment

I haven't had mine long enough for proper pictures, so this will have to do. I went with covered pickups to retain the stock look. DD in the bridge and the factory Gibson 57' Classic in the neck............and Yes, I'm a poser, and proud of it!
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Nice Metlking ! How do you like the 61 Reissues in comparison to the Standards ? I played one, and only seemed to look different (mounting rings,half guard)
        1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
        Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
        Marshall JVM205H
        Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
        Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
        + a bunch of pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Invader09 View Post
          Nice Metlking ! How do you like the 61 Reissues in comparison to the Standards ? I played one, and only seemed to look different (mounting rings,half guard)
          Hard to answer that one! I played a Standard SG years ago, it was a nice guitar but I couldn't look past the larger pickguard. No offence to anyone who likes them but it just doesn't do it for me. Plus, I'm finding I prefer the 60's neck better these days. I always liked the look of the 61RI and bought one on another forum recently when a deal I thought was too good to pass up came along. Now, My Les Paul Classic has the 60's neck and it's tiny! The SG I bought is suppose to have the 60's neck, as the 61RI comes than way. But I find it much more beefy than my LP Classic neck, but not like a 59 RI LP I once owned..........I describe it as wide, but rather thin. I always thought the 60's neck was narrow as well as thin, but thats not the case with my SG. I don't know what other differences there are. Mine has a one piece body, the standard I think are two or more.......which is better? I don't know but I really like mine!
          "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Sounds good ! I like both style of pickguards actually, I know my SG Standard is a one piece.. ? I too also really perfer the slim 60's gibson neck, and my SG has it (probley why the sg is my main guitar) I grip my guitar like a bear claw, and I have fairly long fingers, but if the neck is too thick i'll get serious finger pain in my index finger (this happens to me on my Les Paul Studio, which I guess is a 59 medium profile neck, or maybe even a 50's ultra thick neck) Also this guitar can get the lowest action i've ever seen possible ! (I think I got blessed when I picked it up used off craigslist last year!)

Cheers to all SGs !!
            Marshall JVM205H
            + a bunch of pedals

Comment

Sounds good ! I like both style of pickguards actually, I know my SG Standard is a one piece.. ? I too also really perfer the slim 60's gibson neck, and my SG has it (probley why the sg is my main guitar) I grip my guitar like a bear claw, and I have fairly long fingers, but if the neck is too thick i'll get serious finger pain in my index finger (this happens to me on my Les Paul Studio, which I guess is a 59 medium profile neck, or maybe even a 50's ultra thick neck) Also this guitar can get the lowest action i've ever seen possible ! (I think I got blessed when I picked it up used off craigslist last year!)

Cheers to all SGs !!
              I agree, the action is the lowest I've ever had on a guitar. So low I raised it a bit just so I could feel the strings! I bought mine site unseen and couldn't be happier that it turned out so good. I hear about Gibsons quality being so hit and miss....luckily for me it's been all hit!

My band has a Halloween gig this year. I'm gonna put together a schoolboy uniform and raise the SG up to my chest and go as Angus.....should be a blast!

Comment

HAHAHA ! You'll have to post a pic of that !
                Marshall JVM205H
                + a bunch of pedals

Comment

Wow, great SG's! Thanks everyone!
                  uOpt, the white pickguard looks . Nice rosewood! What do you use on it?

Metlking, great pic. Nice reissue, I've got one on my wish list.

I have a set of uncovered sh-6(n/b) but I prefer the covered look. Is there a difference between factory covered p/u's and the aftermarket covers? Is installation as simple as soldering the cover to the p/u base plate?

Comment

HAHAHA ! You'll have to post a pic of that !
                    Yes, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Time Stood Still View Post
                      Wow, great SG's! Thanks everyone!

Metlking, great pic. Nice reissue, I've got one on my wish list.

I have a set of uncovered sh-6(n/b) but I prefer the covered look. Is there a difference between factory covered p/u's and the aftermarket covers? Is installation as simple as soldering the cover to the p/u base plate?
                      cover differences may or may not be an issue, but are usually off by a couple millemeters from brand to brand. you could re-use your stock covers, but if they're off and it really bothers you you could always order duncan covers. this place has'em, along with aftermarket magnets:
                      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by SlowGroove View Post
                        Can you tell us a bit more about that A2 JB please !

Sounds like something i might like, on B&W anyways !
                        The JB/A2 is a great pickup in a Les Paul. More treble than the CC but the round sound of A2 in a powerful coil.

Unfortunately my SG cannot "drive" it, so to speak, it's pretty lame in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Time Stood Still View Post
                          It's cream, the second picture is more real.

I had Antiquities in there, a Custom, a 59 and a JB/A2 as mentioned. The Ant neck seems perfect, bridge I dunno yet.

Comment

I installed the Sh-6(n/b) today. What a difference! I'm looking forward to hearing this guitar cranked at practice tonight.

I've got nickel SD covers heading my way as I type.

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                            It's cream, the second picture is more real.

I had Antiquities in there, a Custom, a 59 and a JB/A2 as mentioned. The Ant neck seems perfect, bridge I dunno yet.
                            Sorry. The cream looks cool.

I never tried an Antiquities pu's.

Comment

Congrats ! Let us know how you like it !
                              Marshall JVM205H
                              + a bunch of pedals

Comment

I used the SG at practice the past two night, it rocks! The sh6's are a huge improvement over the stock pickups and fit my style and playing well.

The SD nickel covers are due in today. I'd like to install them but the guitar is set up purrrrfectly!!!

Maybe I'll go for it. I was getting a little bit of uncontrollable feedback but nothing to the point of the pickups being bad. I think there's too much open space under the pickups and a bit of room around them that create, somewhat of, a semi hollow vibe. (?) I'll have to install some foam in the cavities.

Comment

Working...
                                X