Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

Default SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

I'm thinking about swapping the pickups in my SG Standard. The stock pickups are good but, in my opinion, ehh when it comes to power and clarity. My other guitars have Duncan Distortion's, love the tone, and are constructed of Maple neck-thru with either mahogany or walnut wings. Would an SD Distortion work well in a mahogany SG?

I prefer the aged nickel covers but can find them stocked anywhere. Would this be a special order pickup?

I assume the spacing would be SH.

Thanks!

Default Re: SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

I like Distortions in SGs. Actually, SGs are the perfect guitars for Distortions, in my opinion. The aggressive top end and tight bass of the Distortion complements a thin mahogany body very nicely, adding some clarity, articulation and punch without getting thin.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your tastes, but I think you'd probably like the combination.

I like the Custom better in my SG's for the big bottom. But the Distortion set I had was a huge improvement over the stock 490's. Definately made it a killer tone machine.

On a side note if you stuff a A5 mag in the neck 490 and switch out the bridge with a Custom or Distortion you won't be sorry. I like the 490 neck, but with the A2 mag in it it can get muddy when you EQ your amp for the bridge pickup. The A5 tightens it up just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyking View Post
    I like the Custom better in my SG's for the big bottom. But the Distortion set I had was a huge improvement over the stock 490's. Definately made it a killer tone machine.

On a side note if you stuff a A5 mag in the neck 490 and switch out the bridge with a Custom or Distortion you won't be sorry. I like the 490 neck, but with the A2 mag in it it can get muddy when you EQ your amp for the bridge pickup. The A5 tightens it up just right.
    +1. The 490R is a whole new PU with an A5; big improvement. Makes it a very good PAF. And the 490T is better with a mag swap too, either an A4 or A8 for more output & better bite.

I agree about the Custom in an SG too, although I prefer it in the form of a C5 or C8.

Quote Originally Posted by Fikealox View Post
    I like Distortions in SGs. Actually, SGs are the perfect guitars for Distortions, in my opinion. The aggressive top end and tight bass of the Distortion complements a thin mahogany body very nicely, adding some clarity, articulation and punch without getting thin.
    This basically nails what I'm going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyking View Post

I like the Distortion so I may just go with that.

A mag swap in the 490 sounds cool. I've never been particular with neck pickups aside from not liking them muddy.

Blueman335, I've noticed you're big on mag swaps. I've been wanting to try one. Is there a tutorial posted?

Thanks!

I hate the Custom in my SG standard.

JB/A2 didn't go as well as in a LP either.

I'll dry a DD next but then it's into the land of dual-magnet pickups.

DD is the best pickup for me in my SG. I've tried a few others throughout the years but always came back to the DD in the SG. Neck I added a 496R which is similar to my ears as a DD neck. Also modded both with hex poles.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

bah

Riffologist Extraordinaire GoDrex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Time Stood Still View Post
    This basically nails what I'm going for.
    Blueman335, I've noticed you're big on mag swaps. I've been wanting to try one. Is there a tutorial posted?
    http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm

this is what I learned from...

Blueman335, I've noticed you're big on mag swaps. I've been wanting to try one. Thanks!
    I used to buy a lot of PU's, try them, been disappointed, & sold them. But once I found out about replacement magnets, I found out that every HB & P-90 has multiple personalities, and if you've only tried it with the stock magnet, you don't know what that PU is capable of. Guys here have bought half a dozen PU's searching for their magic tone, and some have given up after taken a financial beating. That's just too expensive & time-consuming.

Once you have a PU that makes sense for your needs, if the EQ is close, but not quite what you want (the guitar's wood is the usual culprit), then a magnet swap may give it the nudge it needs. I've done it with dozens of PU's. With a $5 magnet & 10 minutes, you have a new PU. Classic example is the Duncan Custom (ceramic) which becomes the C5 (A5) or the CC (A2), not to mention the wildcat versions that are popular here, the C8 & C4. That's five different PU's just from magnet changes. Don't like one? Try another magnet. There's a very good chance that if you want a high output bridge PU, there's a version of the Custom that you'll like.

The Gibson day and night 498T/490R set, which many players think is mismatched (it is), is greatly improved with an A5 in the neck & an A8 in the bridge. Completely different, and better sound.

There's been a recent trend here to try unusual mag swaps, like putting A8's in low output bridge PU's ('59B, PGB, etc), and combining different magnets in twin magnet PU's (P-90's and HB-sized P-90's) to get a blend of EQ's. You're only limited by your imagination.

If I can help, let me know.

In a sunny place for shady people, Central Ohio

I just put a DD in a 61 reissue SG.....it's now the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. I had a gig last weekend and got a ton of compliments on the sound of that guitar! I kept the stock pots, I assume they're 250k or 300k.....I have no desire to change them. I left the stock 57 Classic in the neck. I'm very happy with that guitar.......
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

I'm about to order the Duncan Distortions for my SG Standard. What spacing should I go with. SH?

Does anyone have pics of their Seymour Duncan'd SG?

I'm about to order the Duncan Distortions for my SG Standard. What spacing should I go with. SH?

Does anyone have pics of their Seymour Duncan'd SG?

Nice uOpt !

Here's mine --

1975 Fender Stratocaster W/ Floyd Rose + mods
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Floyd Rose, Scalloped neck, EMG 81/85 Combo
    Marshall FJA Signature modded JMP 1979 50 watt
    Marshall JVM205H
    Marshall 1960AX cabinet(w/ 2 V30's & 2 G12M Greenbacks)
    Empty(unloaded)Laney 2x12
    + a bunch of pedals

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    I hate the Custom in my SG standard.

JB/A2 didn't go as well as in a LP either.

I'll dry a DD next but then it's into the land of dual-magnet pickups.

Can you tell us a bit more about that A2 JB please !

Sounds like something i might like, on B&W anyways !

Thanks
    James
    Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Gibson SG Special w. SD A2P's ->pedal board ->Bassman

I haven't had mine long enough for proper pictures, so this will have to do. I went with covered pickups to retain the stock look. DD in the bridge and the factory Gibson 57' Classic in the neck............and Yes, I'm a poser, and proud of it!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Nice Metlking ! How do you like the 61 Reissues in comparison to the Standards ? I played one, and only seemed to look different (mounting rings,half guard)
    Marshall JVM205H
    + a bunch of pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Invader09 View Post
    Nice Metlking ! How do you like the 61 Reissues in comparison to the Standards ? I played one, and only seemed to look different (mounting rings,half guard)
    Hard to answer that one! I played a Standard SG years ago, it was a nice guitar but I couldn't look past the larger pickguard. No offence to anyone who likes them but it just doesn't do it for me. Plus, I'm finding I prefer the 60's neck better these days. I always liked the look of the 61RI and bought one on another forum recently when a deal I thought was too good to pass up came along. Now, My Les Paul Classic has the 60's neck and it's tiny! The SG I bought is suppose to have the 60's neck, as the 61RI comes than way. But I find it much more beefy than my LP Classic neck, but not like a 59 RI LP I once owned..........I describe it as wide, but rather thin. I always thought the 60's neck was narrow as well as thin, but thats not the case with my SG. I don't know what other differences there are. Mine has a one piece body, the standard I think are two or more.......which is better? I don't know but I really like mine!

Sounds good ! I like both style of pickguards actually, I know my SG Standard is a one piece.. ? I too also really perfer the slim 60's gibson neck, and my SG has it (probley why the sg is my main guitar) I grip my guitar like a bear claw, and I have fairly long fingers, but if the neck is too thick i'll get serious finger pain in my index finger (this happens to me on my Les Paul Studio, which I guess is a 59 medium profile neck, or maybe even a 50's ultra thick neck) Also this guitar can get the lowest action i've ever seen possible ! (I think I got blessed when I picked it up used off craigslist last year!)

Cheers to all SGs !!
    Marshall JVM205H
    + a bunch of pedals