SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD Distortion in an SG Standard?

The SD sh pickup covers came today and they don't line up evenly.

I'm not sure what I want to do now. Leave'em and deal with it, go uncovered(don't like the look), or leave'em and swap'em out for stock covered pu's eventually.
    Last edited by Time Stood Still; 05-24-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

After a moment of stupidity, I realized the screw poles needed to be raised. All is well. duh!

Comment

I have a set of S Duncan '59 SH-1 humbuckers on my SG Special, I love the sound, typical vintage PAF sound

Comment

I am sorry to necro bump this thread but I am looking for a great sounding bridge pickup for an Ibanez SCA 220. They are saber style guitars but a little different. They have the thin saber body, solid mahogany, wraparound bridge, with a bolt on 25.1' scale maple neck & rosewood finger board. I was searching there because I figured that an SG would be similar body wise but of course different due to neck construction and joint. I am guess those differences would make the Ibanez be a little brighter. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCA 220.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	5820720

Comment

I have a DD in my Iceman, mahogany w maple cap, that I love. I also have a ESP LTD with an all mahogany body with a bolt on maple neck that has a Custom 5 in the bridge, like that almost as much as the DD.

But that may also depends on the music you are playing. The DD will cover from 80s hair to little past Metallica, the C5 is great from 70s hard rock to about Metallica really well, but havent gone heavier than that with it.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I have 2 of them 1- tuned in Drop B the other in Drop Db. I’ll be playing mostly heavy stuff but may tone it down some on the Db from time to time, Classic Rock, Hair etc... So does the DD sound like the ticket? How is it when split?

Totally off topic but you mentioned Custom 5, I have a Custom Custom that I’ve not found a good home for. Do you have much experience with that one? What’s it good for? Reviews I’ve read are kinda all over the place.

Comment

Mine isnt split but have heard decent things about it being split, other may have different opinion on the split. For what you are looking for, I would say the DD would fit the bill quite well.

The CC is a great classic early hard rock pickup. It may be able to do some of the harder stuff, thats just from listening to clips of it. CC and C5 are the same pick up with different magnets, C5 with alnico 5, CC with an alnico 2. A2 has a bit softer edge and sweeter tone than the C5 which is a bit scooped
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The Custom Custom is one of my favorite bridge pickups, but I don't play anything close to metal, and don't use anything much more than Tube Screamer-level of overdrive. It is mostly true mids more than anything. The lows aren't very tight, but it has this sweet thing going on, that makes me love it. Great sustain in alder or mahogany. It splits well, too.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

DD will do you right. Especially if hitting the Db.

Split is pretty good, if a touch less than "organic" like a Strat. Crunchy as all get out! Most of the hot pups split great because they are ~7k or so who split, so legit Strat levels, not weak.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X