Where to put a wah pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to put a wah pedal

This is why I've always loved this forum.Alot of great info!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks

Just making sure that my wah and my other pedal circuits are safe

thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by rashayritto View Post
        you CAN put your wah in front of the amp but really modulation effects generally need to go in the effects loop to be at their best. wah pedals are a good example of this. as for where it should be if you run it in front: wah into distortion is more subtle sounding, and distortion into wah is more dramatic....if i remember that correctly

running distortion into another pedal should cause no damage at all
        I have never heard of anyone putting a wah in an effects loop. Furthermore, a wah is NOT a modulation effect. It's pretty much an adjustable band pass filter (a.k.a. an EQ pedal).

I guess you could put a wah in the effects loop, but I would only recommend doing that with a true bypass wah (i.e. NOT a Dunlop or a Morley). I have learned the hard way that effects with a crappy bypass kill your tone in the effects loop.

My wah (BYOC) is second in my chain after the volume pedal.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I have tried my Dunlop Crybaby from Hell in the loop of a few amps in the past and I didn't like it. The wah effect was way too subtle for my liking. In front of the amp I find you actually get a much more pronounced wah sound which is the entire reason I own a wah pedal to begin with. My effects chain is exactly as it's written in my signature.

That said, as always you can try it in the loop and decide if you like it better there or not. The order of effects won't do anything to internal components so all your pedals should remain in perfect working order.
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

My whah is after my TS9, and yes it a lot more dramatic and expressive on top my amp just giving a much better tone this way rather than keeping whah as first pedal in the chain. If you ask Rid, he will tell you that pedals were not designed for signal level they will get from the pre-amp vs instrument level signal. My CS-9 totally changes my tone in the loop vs being the last pedal after Whah and TS9, it makes my amp a lot more cleaner but the over all tone becomes really flat and sterile. My two cents.
            Active Duty Rig:
            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I have a tuner before all effects, is it ok to run wah wah before the tuner or should I put it right after the tuner?

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              I like to go wah -> fuzz -> phaser -> distortion -> chorus/flanger -> delay -> reverb

Wah and Fuzz can sometimes act funny depending on other pedal's buffers. Phaser is very similar to wah, I like it before dirt, unless I'm specifically going for wild effected sounds. (Then I could go distortion -> tremolo -> phaser, etc.) Also depending on the tone I'm going for, flanger can definately be before gain, a la 70's flanger users like Gilmour and EVH.

But yeah, wah first. and any cascading order is fine, pedals are pedals, you won't damage any of them at instrument level signals.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                You can put it anywhere...running distortion through a wah is not gonan hurt it in anyway. I run mine before dirt pedals but thats me...
                +1

Separately, I tried both of my Wah pedals in my effects loop the other day and didn't like the result - it was way too "wet" - but it is all a matter of taste - you may like it. Give it a try.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by harryhat View Post
                  I have a tuner before all effects, is it ok to run wah wah before the tuner or should I put it right after the tuner?
                  It is ideal to put a tuner first in the signal chain, not due to any concerns about damage (which I don't there is any risk of anyways), but because you want to give the tuner the cleanest signal you can in order to ensure accuracy of its readings.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Amp department:
                    JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
                    Class 5 (pure class...)
                    Hughes&Kettner TM18H
                    Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
                    Gibson Les Paul Standard
                    Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

My wah has always been at the end of my chain. I just like it that way no overly technical reason. I suggest moving it around and finding out where you like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X