banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it matter where you put your tuner in pedal chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it matter where you put your tuner in pedal chain?

I have a bunch of pedals and I was wondering if putting the boss tu-2 or whatever it is called in front or at the end of the pedal chain. All of my pedals are true bypass except for my TS9 and my DS-1 keeley mod (edit: AND FL9).

Guitar > Keeley 2 knob comp > TS9 (soon to be modded by analogman) > Keeley DS-1 > Keeley Time Machine Boost > Ibanez FL9 reissue > Keeley Ibanez AD9 > Ernie Ball Volume > Fender Hotrod Deville 410 or Egnator Rebel 20.

So where would you say I should put the tuner? I have heard something about the buffer in it because it is not true bypass but I don't really understand what that effects. Any light that you could shed would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by weisserj; 05-25-2009, 08:57 PM.
    Guitars: 1978 Fender Mustang, 1997 Guild S-100, Strat type guitar with 1960s Shecter neck and 1980s SD hot stacks, 1990 Guild Bluesbird, 1991 Guild Starfire IV, 1995 Amer. Tele, Guild D55, Guild F212, MARTIN HD-28v, Seagull Artist Series

Pedals: Keeley Time Machine Boost, Keeley Compressor, Keeley'd DS-1, Chandler Tube Driver

Amps:
    Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10), Egnator Rebel

Re: Does it matter where you put your tuner in pedal chain?

Alot of guys put it first in the chain...You could use an A/B box,but they tend to suck tone away....I use a peterson strobe tuner,but only when I'm really out of tune(Which is seldom),otherwise I tune by ear....This I guess comes from years of playing though? ;o)

It's ok to ask others,but best to experiment and see how things work in your setup...Everyone has different ideas..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

It doesn't matter really. Personal preference. I like mine at the end of the chain so it mutes the entire pedalboard. Some like it first so it mutes just the guitar and some put it in it's own loop altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        It doesn't matter really. Personal preference. I like mine at the end of the chain so it mutes the entire pedalboard. Some like it first so it mutes just the guitar and some put it in it's own loop altogether.
        I also like it at the end of the chain for the same reason.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I have mine in the dry out of my Whammy to keep it out of the signal chain. Since it doesn't do anything to enhance the tone it might as well not be in there.

Comment

Originally posted by weisserj View Post
            I have heard something about the buffer in it because it is not true bypass but I don't really understand what that effects. Any light that you could shed would be appreciated. Thanks.
            Some pedals, like a fuzz face won't work all that well if there's a buffered pedal in front of them. Personally I like having the tuner towards the front, and on its own send (mute to tune) if possible. Mostly because I'm a knucklehead... often I'll either forget or simply be unwilling to turn off modulation effects, and tuners don't like to be after a phaser or flanger. Sort of affects their accuracy... lol
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I have 3 pedalboards that I use with different amps. They are all pretty basic and I don't have a lot on them. My main boar that I use at home has a loopmaster A/B/Y so I can switch between 2 amps. I have effects setup in each amp. I plug my guitar into my tuner.

My main board that I have been using at rehearsals (a Fender Twin at the Studio) has a Ch1, DD3, TS9, Wah & tuner again I plug into the tuner.

My board for my Marshall is setup similar. A DOD TR3 running into the loop a Marshall Bluebreaker straight in, then my Wah & tuner. I plug into the tuner in all cases.

I use a TU2 at home, my other tuners are a Matrix 3000. It has a monitor out that I just snipped an old jack and plug it into the monitor out. This mutes the signal when I turn the tuner on.

Loopmaster does make an A/B/Y with a tuner out feature. These A/B/Y pedals are awesome for the money. I have one (without the tuner out feature)...... they are great for the money!!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

have it coming out of the tuner out on my volume pedal...the volume probably takes away tone but it's alright

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  My Peterson is at the end of the chain so that it can mute the entire board also. Additionally, the Peterson has a low impedance output jack. If my mic'd amp failed I could run straight to the mains out of the tuner.
                  I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

First I have to ask...how are your AD-9 and FL-9 True Bypass???

Anyway, here is the thing to think about with your set up...the Keeley Time Machine Boost is a transister boost pedal loosely based on the Dallas Rangemaster from the 60's. Much like a Fuzz Face those pedals tend to not want a non true bypass effect in front of them. Now, Robert might have ma de some changes to the circiut to make them more user friendly in that respect but I don't know.

What you need to do is get just the TMB and a non true bypass pedal, the tuner should work just fine and using just those 2 pedals see if the tone with the Time Machine running changes with the tune before it...I suspect it will. If it does then all your non true bypass pedals need to be AFTER thte TMB, if it doesn't then you have no worries and you can put your tuner where ever you want.
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      First I have to ask...how are your AD-9 and FL-9 True Bypass???
                      Good eye!

The FL-9 was an oversight on my part but the AD-9 was modded by Keeley also and is now true bypass I just forgot to write that.

Thanks for the info on the TMB and buffers
                      Guitars: 1978 Fender Mustang, 1997 Guild S-100, Strat type guitar with 1960s Shecter neck and 1980s SD hot stacks, 1990 Guild Bluesbird, 1991 Guild Starfire IV, 1995 Amer. Tele, Guild D55, Guild F212, MARTIN HD-28v, Seagull Artist Series

Pedals: Keeley Time Machine Boost, Keeley Compressor, Keeley'd DS-1, Chandler Tube Driver

Amps:
                      Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10), Egnator Rebel

Comment

I'd say the beginning is a good idea...just because it will give you the most accurate reading.
                        Originally posted by kilphody
                        There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                        X