Loose Inlay...Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Inlay...Help

So I just got an Epiphone Elitist SG used on Ebay, and I'm restringing it and cleaning/oiling the fingerboard when I see that the first inlay (3rd fret) is coming loose. It's lifting out just enough to make a lip that might snag in a bend. I thought maybe it wasn't properly sanded at the factory, but I can push the inlay down into place and have it pop up again (proving there is space under the inlay, not just an inlay that's too thick for its slot). My first thought was to pop it all the way out using an X-Acto knife to pry at the lifted end (and then just reglue with it some super glue), but the inlay is such a snug fit in the slot I'm scared I will crack the blade or chip the inlay itself...it's just too risky. Here's a picture:

Any ideas?

It's a shame because it's really a beautiful guitar. The fingerboard looks dry as hell, I'm thinking lack of humidity may be the cause.
    Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM.
    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Re: Loose Inlay...Help

By the way it's the bottom that's lifting out (body side, not headstock side) in case it's hard to tell in the pictures

Comment

Wax off the fingerboard so that you don't get any glue in the wood. Use Hot Stuff super thin super glue with a pinpoint applicator to put it right on the edge of the inlay. It'll seep down, press and hold. Once it's dry, 0000 steel wool the fretboard, condition and you're good. No need to pry it out. If you don't have Hot Stuff, any water thin super glue will work.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Hey, thanks beandip. Two questions though...
        What do you mean 'wax off' the fingerboard?
        And will regular Krazy glue work in the place of Hot Stuff? I'm pretty sure it's a super glue but I'm not sure.

Comment

Use a beeswax or the like. Something that can be removed easily. Take a small bit and rub it on the fretboard about 2mm out from the inlay. It'll buff away with steel wool.

Crazy glue will work, as long as it's the pinpoint tube and very thin. You need it to be thin enough to run under the inlay.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

The Krazy glue I have doesn't seem to flow well enough to make it down into that crack. I'm gonna order some of that Hot Stuff glue you recommended. Thanks again for the help, beandip.

Comment

best of luck dude

Comment

Bumping back an old thread with a follow up question. How's it going guys, I haven't been around in a while.

I had another two inlays lift up on this same guitar. Apparently Epi Elitists are prone to this (I read a few other owners with the same issue). The first repair, in 2009, went as planned with no issues. Repairing one of the new inlays this afternoon didn't go so smoothly. After applying the CA glue, I couldn't get the inlay to sit completely flat, and the glue set with the inlay lifted. I can feel a prominent raised edge with my fingernail.

The way I see it, I have a few options, each with their own risks.

I can leave the glue as-is, and attempt to scrape and sand the inlay flush with the wood around it. Or I can attempt to remove the inlay, clean it up, and re-glue it with one of these methods...
                1. Attempt to release the glue with acetone, which will likely melt the inlay as well since they appear to be pearloid plastic.
                2. Attempt to release the glue with steam (soldering iron through a wet cloth), which may deform or otherwise the damage the inlay.
                3. Score around the inlay with a knife and attempt to pry it out.

Or some other option I haven't thought of? What would you do in my shoes?

Comment

Do these things have warranties for manufacturer's defects? That seems like a lot of inlays with the same issue.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

at this point it doesnt matter
                    the attempted repair voids the warranty

I would try to shave it down

trying to get it out in one piece and clean it would be more damaging
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Like ehdwuld said, I'm sure I've already voided any warranty.

There's got to be a trick for removing and reinstalling the same inlay, but I haven't found it yet...

Comment

Don't try to remove it. Not only will you probably break the inlay but you might chip the fretboard. If it is solid just scrape and sand. If you're not sure it is glued solid add more superglue around the edges first and let it soak in and cure first.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yep. Scrape with blade.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. I'm sure that's the answer. I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                            X