Which speaker size to go in combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speaker size to go in combo?

so at the moment i have a couple different options as far as what amp and speaker combination i can go with. In the near future I will be buying a Dr. Z maz 18 jr NR, i know this for sure i really like that amp.
    i though about just going for the 1x12 combo (which i've played and sounded great) or going for the 2x10 or 2x12 combo. right now i've been playing an AC30 with 2x12 alnico blues speakers (sounds fantastic btw).

what should i expect differently from the 2x10 speakers in the Maz 18 Jr?
    how do they differ from the 2x12's or even the 1x12?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Re: Which speaker size to go in combo?

bump

Comment

all of them have their good points, they are all different sounding and it depends on what actual speakers you use.

Comment

personally I'd go head and cab so if you decided you wanted a different speaker combo at a later date, you can do that. Plus it'll be lighter
        Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
        It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

i thought about that actually, getting a head...i still have a 1X12 cab from mesa boogie (that'd be rather interesting!) that was with my Mark IV. I eventually want to have a rack with some heads in it...

Comment

I'd go with the 2x10 based on my love for the 2x10 AC15 and general dislike of 1x12 combos. Given the same amps, 2x12 always sounds "bigger" and more complex, even at lower volumes.
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

i tried a fender amp with 4X10's and it had a really cool, very punchy in your face tone to it that was kinda cool

Comment

Given the same amps, 2x12 always sounds "bigger" and more complex, even at lower volumes.
                Definately especially compared to 1x10. 2x12 cabs sound like the amp has suddenly stopped being a weeny pre teen and got some realy muscle and a complex personality.
                Gondola Kid
                Bandcamp
                Facebook
                JimijaymesGuitarist
                Youtube

Comment

Two speakers have a wider, bigger sound, one speaker brighter and more focused. Since your AC30 already has two speakers you might want one just for the change of tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X