X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well Infinitium: Frito's Better Half

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    What gauge are your ears stretched out to?
    My ears were at 5/8's of an inch. I'd kept them there for quite some time, but realized that when you're trying to make a name for yourself in the world of guitar repair, it's best to be as "normal" looking as possible. Although the tattoos make it a little difficult.

I don't regret stretching my ears, nor do I regret letting them close up.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I saw you writing about Dallas from your experiences in the Texas thread a week ago. Im prolly movin to Dallas in a month for work. Where are the good clubs/bars in the Dallas/Fortworth area?

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
        I saw you writing about Dallas from your experiences in the Texas thread a week ago. Im prolly movin to Dallas in a month for work. Where are the good clubs/bars in the Dallas/Fortworth area?
        They're all over man! It really depends on what you're in to, and what you're going for.

There's Key's Lounge, Hat Tricks, Hot Shot's, Rockin' Rodeo, Electric Cowboy (where I work), and literally thousands others. If you let me know what area of the D/FW metroplex you'll be in, I can let you know some places to check out.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

How can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from falling down?
          How can you stop the sun from shining? What makes the world go 'round?
          How can you mend a this broken man? How can a loser ever win?
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
            How can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from falling down?
            How can you stop the sun from shining? What makes the world go 'round?
            How can you mend a this broken man? How can a loser ever win?
            1. With time
            2. A weather controlling machine
            3. Lots of dynamite to create a nuclear winter, or just a big dust cloud
            4. Momentum and the suns gravitational pull
            5. A six pack and a heart to heart
            6. By apparently purchasing a 232 million dollar winning lotto ticket in a town that no one's ever heard of in a state that few ever visit.
            Last edited by beandip; 06-08-2009, 11:05 PM. Reason: I can't believe I typed "clowd". WTF is a clowd?

Comment

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
                I carry birdseed in my pocket. Most folks are oblivious to it, but the birds know wassup.

Comment

when / where / under what circumstances did you meet your wife
                  how long between meeting and marrying
                  how long did it take for the adoption to be finalized
                  what does little guy call you
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I met my wife the day I moved here to DFW. She worked at the music store I went and applied to (and the one that I've had so many problems with). She was a "road guy". Basically her job was to go around and check on band directors and see if they needed anything. Reeds, metronomes, bring their repairs to the store and back, etc. I was in one of the studios in the store trying out my now sold Alvarez Yairi (I bought it from a customer friend) and she hear me singing. And the rest is history.

It wasn't long between meeting and marriage. We didn't have a huge ceremony or reception. It was immediate family at the JP (we're saving up) and all was done. I wanna say 7 months between getting together and marrying.

The adoption was extremely quick. There was no father on Lane's birth certificate (not getting into it), so everything went without a hitch. There were no parental rights to be taken away or anything such as that.

For the post part I'm daddy, every once in awhile it's a bunch of gibberish.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                      Have you ever ben working a door and after watching folks act like twits think 'Yeah,I don't think I wanna touch alcohol for a while so I don't look like that guy'?
                      No, not really. While I'm young, and do have my stupid moments in life, but when it comes to things that are harmful to to the body I'm usually pretty responsible (I know, I'm a recovering addict, but ya know). Especially when it comes to alcohol, I don't mess around. If I drink to excess, it's in my own home, and I'm a quiet drunk anyway. When I go out to a bar or nightclub, for the most part I like to keep it at 2 drinks the first hour, and 1 drink for every hour I'm there. If It's at a bar (which has to offer food all night in the state of TX) I'll grab something fried and breaded. Many folks think it's bad for the body to eat fried foods, but when consuming alcohol it actually fights the booze for the chance to absorb into the blood stream. It doesn't make you any less intoxicated if you are already at that point, but it will slow it down if you're consuming alcohol at a responsible rate. Also, it's hard to slurp it down when you're stuffing your face.

But, working as a bouncer has made me hate most of those in my generation (MOST, not all) for their completely idiotic actions and such. While I might have a "cool" job working in night clubs, I pretty much stay out of late night alcohol joints. The exception being when I'm opening at a local bar for some Texas Country artists, or I'm checking out a band.

Comment

Where do you want to be in 5 years?
                        Guitars:
                        2017 Epiphone dot
                        2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
                        2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
                        (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

how did you get skilled up in guitar repair?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Cearlock View Post
                            Where do you want to be in 5 years?
                            Well, emotionally I'd like to be a little more like my mother, and less like my father. I have a tendency to be cold to those I don't know, and I have a short fuse.

In the game of life, I'd like to have had our wedding ceremony, and moved into a small house. Whether I'm renting or have bought matters not to me at the moment. I'd prefer to have a workshop, or at least one spare room with no carpet so I can turn that into a small work area. Whether I do work for myself and friends, or run a gainful business, I don't care. I found out today that the government considers me a dislocated worker (I'm trained in a certain area, and am unable to find gainful employment using my training).

I don't mind if I'm still bouncing in night clubs as a second job. I would prefer not to, so that I can spend quality time with my family, but it needs done I'll do it. I'd like to see my son getting in trouble in kindergarten for the same **** I did. I once got in trouble for calling a kid asinine, and I used it correctly in a sentence.

Really, if my life continued just the way it was, in five years I'd be extremely happy. I'd like to have my bank account back into the positive amount, and not have to worry about bills. That's not saying that I want to be crazy rich or anything. I just would like to know that I don't have to risk having my cable turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                              how did you get skilled up in guitar repair?
                              By being a curious little ****. I took every screw loose on my old Squire Affinity Strat when I was 11 or 12. Took me WEEKS to get that thing back together, because I desoldered everything, and you can't find wiring diagrams for a straight line 5 way switch.

After I started showing some interest in it, my mom would drop me off after school at the local guitar shop. I would be there for HOURS picking the repairman's brain. He was by no means a luthier, and looking back on it, his work sucked too. But he was kind enough to answer my questions, and if I had one that he didn't know he'd find out.

Then I bought my first copy of Dan Erlewin's Guitar Player Repair Guide. I've gone through four copies since that first one, five total. Four of the 2nd edition, and I just picked up the 3rd a few months ago. I read it so many times cover to cover that the binding failed and the pages would fall out. I have the entire book memorized. When I was younger, I had all this knowledge was in theory, and I couldn't have that. Luckily I didn't have a "Number One" except for my old beat to **** Marlboro acoustic, so every guitar I had save the acoustic was free game to practice everything on. And I did, trust me.

It then got to the point that I was doing setups and repairs for my friends in high school. I started the Guitar Club in school, and most folks thought I just loved guitar that much. I did, but I really did it because that meant I could have 2 periods (2 hours) of "Guitar Club Time" every other day to sit in our sponsor's room and jam out. Anyway, since the store said repairman worked at was the only shop in town, word got back to him about what I was doing. He offered me a job to help out around the store. Basically be a shop *****, and when I didn't have anything to do, I could setup store guitars and fix the ones that came in broken (from shipping, not customer's stuff). I was paid a poor 50 bucks a week for the amount I did, but I didn't care. I had the coolest job in school.

During that time, I'd gained a great amount of knowledge just from experience and common sense. I moved to Denver, had a short stint at Gravity Music Gear, and worked at Music Go Round in Aurora as the in house tech. That job was probably the most informative since the owner (MGR is a franchise) had been a "tech" for years and years. He showed me a lot of short cuts and tricks of the trade.

Since then, I've either been working out of my home, or a music store of some kind. I've also read and reread everything written by Dan Erlewine, Frank Ford, and numerous other luthiers/repairmen.

Comment

^And I thought I had problems....
                                Guitars:
                                2017 Epiphone dot
                                2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
                                2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
                                (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

Working...
                                X