X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well Infinitium: Frito's Better Half

Originally posted by Mark Cearlock View Post
    ^And I thought I had problems....
    Your problems stem from the fact that you actually sat there and let me ramble.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
      By being a curious little ****. I took every screw loose on my old Squire Affinity Strat when I was 11 or 12. Took me WEEKS to get that thing back together, because I desoldered everything, and you can't find wiring diagrams for a straight line 5 way switch.

After I started showing some interest in it, my mom would drop me off after school at the local guitar shop. I would be there for HOURS picking the repairman's brain. He was by no means a luthier, and looking back on it, his work sucked too. But he was kind enough to answer my questions, and if I had one that he didn't know he'd find out.

Then I bought my first copy of Dan Erlewin's Guitar Player Repair Guide. I've gone through four copies since that first one, five total. Four of the 2nd edition, and I just picked up the 3rd a few months ago. I read it so many times cover to cover that the binding failed and the pages would fall out. I have the entire book memorized. When I was younger, I had all this knowledge was in theory, and I couldn't have that. Luckily I didn't have a "Number One" except for my old beat to **** Marlboro acoustic, so every guitar I had save the acoustic was free game to practice everything on. And I did, trust me.

It then got to the point that I was doing setups and repairs for my friends in high school. I started the Guitar Club in school, and most folks thought I just loved guitar that much. I did, but I really did it because that meant I could have 2 periods (2 hours) of "Guitar Club Time" every other day to sit in our sponsor's room and jam out. Anyway, since the store said repairman worked at was the only shop in town, word got back to him about what I was doing. He offered me a job to help out around the store. Basically be a shop *****, and when I didn't have anything to do, I could setup store guitars and fix the ones that came in broken (from shipping, not customer's stuff). I was paid a poor 50 bucks a week for the amount I did, but I didn't care. I had the coolest job in school.

During that time, I'd gained a great amount of knowledge just from experience and common sense. I moved to Denver, had a short stint at Gravity Music Gear, and worked at Music Go Round in Aurora as the in house tech. That job was probably the most informative since the owner (MGR is a franchise) had been a "tech" for years and years. He showed me a lot of short cuts and tricks of the trade.

Since then, I've either been working out of my home, or a music store of some kind. I've also read and reread everything written by Dan Erlewine, Frank Ford, and numerous other luthiers/repairmen.
      That's awesome dude.

Where could I find some information (online, or books) about short cuts, tricks, and basically start to finish wiring?

How long has music been in your life? Does music revolve around your life, or do you revolve around the music?
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Soooooooooooo, You've obviously never encountered SlayerSlaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlayerSlaughter View Post
        That's awesome dude.

Where could I find some information (online, or books) about short cuts, tricks, and basically start to finish wiring?

How long has music been in your life? Does music revolve around your life, or do you revolve around the music?
        As far as wiring goes, Guitarnuts.com is a great resource. Wiring schematics for almost everything you can think of, as well as the SD wiring diagrams you can access from the home page. For general tips and information, Frets.com ran by Frank Ford is a godsend for those who want more info. It's not that tech savy (the man is too busy fixing guitars to be writing 10,000 word articles), but there's a huge amount of knowledge contained in that site. Another would be the free tech articles available at stewmac.com. Everything you can think of, there's something there. The problem I have with the stew mac articles though, is they're not very in depth. They just give you the general idea of what you're supposed to do, and you need to figure out the rest on your own. Great for trial and error, not so much when you've only got one shot.

Music has been in my life since I was a child. My Ma and Dad argue (well, they used to anyway) about what my first concert was. My dad SWEARS it was Stevie in Houston a few months before he passed, but my mother is certain it was Robert Earl Keen when I was 2 and he played a house concert a the Budwiser House in Huntsville (My home town).

I was raised on a very eclectic and classic mix of music. Everything from Nirvana, to Jimi, to Tom Petty and more. When I was younger I would stay the summers with my grandparents on their ranch. My granddad has this HUGE vinyl collection of old blues, rockabilly, and early rock 'n' roll records that I would spin for hours. No Led Zep, but tons of Jerry Reed and Elvis.

As far as music revolving around my life or my life revolving around music. It alternates. I'm always thinking about music, or something musically oriented, but my life revolves around my family. Without them, there is no reason for music, and without music...well they wouldn't have very much fun with me.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I would've thought you guys would've had more questions for me. Oh well, rock out!

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy
            Got any interesting Bouncer stories: funny, sad, pathetic, etc etc (come up with some other categories :-p)
            I second this. Just turn this thread into crazy bouncer stories.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I've got several good stories, when I get a minute this evening, I'll give you a few good ones. I've got some scary ones, funny ones, almost ban-worthy ones, and a few others.

Comment

I know that you touched on this a bit in the Seagull thread in the gtr room, but could you expand on acoustic mics? I ask because I've usually been dissatisfied w/what is out there. However, I also realize that I have not tried many. As it stands, I prefer a good mic in front of me, because it sounds natural, not processed.

What acoustic mics can sound natural?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                  I know that you touched on this a bit in the Seagull thread in the gtr room, but could you expand on acoustic mics? I ask because I've usually been dissatisfied w/what is out there. However, I also realize that I have not tried many. As it stands, I prefer a good mic in front of me, because it sounds natural, not processed.

What acoustic mics can sound natural?
                  Internal mics, most anything by the "big names", are good. Each has their own flavor, a tad touch on the natural sound. But, it's always good to combine an internal mic with something else, such as an under saddle, or soundboard transducer. Sometimes a soundhole pup with an internal mic can get a good sound.

Sign up for the D-TAR forum. I'm a member over there, and welcome to the acoustic world

Comment

As for bouncer stories, there's the one where the guy was covered in blood, surprised I asked what happened. He looked a me and says "she was on her ****in' period, man!".

There's the time where the russian guy I tossed out demanded payment for his blood because he caught his elbow on the door hinge when I pushed him out.

The guy who's eyeball popped out of it's socket because he was blindsided by a redneck.

One of my waitresses was dropped acid into her drink by some scumbag, and she wound up loosing it and stripping naked in the club while running around screaming.

The time a gang fight broke out between 20 or so black guys, one left comatose in the parking lot, a female bartender with a broken nose, me with two broken knuckles, and 17 arrests.

The time Scott showed up at the front door and I was too wired to make the most of it.

Then there's the stories from my short (2 month) stint at a swingers club, but those would surely get me banninated.

I could tell stories, or I could tell you what it's like from the other side. Your choice, or take your pick of what story you'd like to hear.

Comment

Internal mics, most anything by the "big names", are good. Each has their own flavor, a tad touch on the natural sound. But, it's always good to combine an internal mic with something else, such as an under saddle, or soundboard transducer. Sometimes a soundhole pup with an internal mic can get a good sound.

Sign up for the D-TAR forum. I'm a member over there, and welcome to the acoustic world
                      Cool, thanks!

edit: Signed up!
                      Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 06-12-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

As for bouncer stories, there's the one where the guy was covered in blood, surprised I asked what happened. He looked a me and says "she was on her ****in' period, man!".

There's the time where the russian guy I tossed out demanded payment for his blood because he caught his elbow on the door hinge when I pushed him out.

The guy who's eyeball popped out of it's socket because he was blindsided by a redneck.

One of my waitresses was dropped acid into her drink by some scumbag, and she wound up loosing it and stripping naked in the club while running around screaming.

The time a gang fight broke out between 20 or so black guys, one left comatose in the parking lot, a female bartender with a broken nose, me with two broken knuckles, and 17 arrests.

The time Scott showed up at the front door and I was too wired to make the most of it.

Then there's the stories from my short (2 month) stint at a swingers club, but those would surely get me banninated.

I could tell stories, or I could tell you what it's like from the other side. Your choice, or take your pick of what story you'd like to hear.
                        far out, that's pretty hectic

so you can look after yourself pretty well then? ; ]
                        a good thing, from the sound of it...

Comment

Most bouncers over here are fairly sound these days, but there was this one time, about 15 years ago, when a bouncer threw me head first down a flight of stairs at the end of the night. I was both ill from man flu and drunk, and probably over lippy - but still he was very out of order. The other bouncer at the time even insisted that I report him.

Have you encountered any colleagues who are a bit heavy-handed?
                          👣
                          👣
                          💀

Comment

I've only worked with one guy who let his emotions run wild. It's a job where you're constantly going to be mentally and physically stressed, and it's not for everyone.

The fella I worked with lost his cool a few too many times, and I had many reports that he was the one to throw the first swing. He lasted about 2 weeks in a packed night club.

Speaking of which, I opened up a new night club last night, and it was quite possibly the best grand opening I've ever been a apart of. Max cap. is 1020 and we had a few over 900.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                              I saw you writing about Dallas from your experiences in the Texas thread a week ago. Im prolly movin to Dallas in a month for work. Where are the good clubs/bars in the Dallas/Fortworth area?
                              They're all over man! It really depends on what you're in to, and what you're going for.

There's Key's Lounge, Hat Tricks, Hot Shot's, Rockin' Rodeo, Electric Cowboy (where I work), and literally thousands others. If you let me know what area of the D/FW metroplex you'll be in, I can let you know some places to check out.
                              very cool bro. Im moving to DFW in a week or two - I wanna move to a place where the jobs are plentiful and the rent is low haha so I have alot of lookin to do, definitely want to be close to some cool bars/clubs like the ones you listed, cheers

Comment

where did you learn latin? you used an accusative form of infinity without a preposition such as ad to make it mean motion towards. right now you have a direct object with now subject or verb!!! bad beandip, bad!
                                Originally posted by kilphody
                                There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X