Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jb output in mv?

Hi,

i haven't found the exact ammount of output of a jb, does anybody knows?

thanks

Re: jb output in mv?

It depends.

Comment

Part of the problem is exactly how do you test this? What pickup height, how hard do you play, is it a single string or a strum?

Unless different pickups makers use exactly the same test you cant compare them.

That said, I dont think you need to know the output exactly anyway. Go for the sound not the output.

Comment

Other than designing software or a preamp, I can't think of any plausible reason to know.
        "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

moving target
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Ears, not eyes.
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

my problem is that the only way to test one is buying it. I am thinking buyng an air norton or a paf pro for the neck position, and a jb in the bridge. And since both di marzio's are of medium output, i need to know the output of the jb to be sure that they are going to be balanced.

Thanks for the answers.

Comment

The JB has a wind of roughly 16.4-16.6kOhms of 44awg wire, and an AlNiCo V magnet. So, if there's a product in the DiMaraio line with similar specs, it will probably have similar output. If said DiMarzio pickup balances output/volume wise with an Air Norton or PAF Pro, the JB will probably do so as well.
                Originally posted by ratherdashing
                If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                - You hate your neighbours
                - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                - You love solid state amps
                - You don't actually play guitar
                - You kick puppies

Comment

Originally posted by kivaz View Post
                  my problem is that the only way to test one is buying it. I am thinking buyng an air norton or a paf pro for the neck position, and a jb in the bridge. And since both di marzio's are of medium output, i need to know the output of the jb to be sure that they are going to be balanced.

Thanks for the answers.
                  You donīt understand I think.

To get a number that would do you ANY good at all one would have to duplicate the other manufacturerīs test setup exactly. To do so the other manufacturer would have toi make available the exact specifications of the setup used, i.e. Pickup distance from the strings, polepiece height, string guage, materian and exact pitch, pick material and guage, exact force used to strike the note, position on the string it was struck, material of the jug used to hold everything, brand and model of tuning peg used to achieve tension and, and, and,

If even one of those variables is ever so slightly off, the number will be useless.

And thatīs why mV numbers arenīt worth anything comparing between brands.

As fare as the output goes, a JB will match up just fine with either of the medium output pickups you posted.
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

As far as the MilliVolts things goes, I actually did some playing around during my recent magnet swapping. I only had the meter out to check coil resistance after the mag swapping to make sure I didn't damage a coil during the process.

Using my Fluke DVM with a peak voltage hold capture, I just went for the max, with a strumming of all the strings open. That seemed to generate the most consistent and highest readings-that were repeatable.

Interesting how when striking the strings after a certain point it did not matter how hard I hit the strings, a given pickup would only have so much output. Yes a light strike will give lower readings, but there does seem to be a max saturation point on the output. And the pickup height has a very minor effect on the output shown on my meter. I was surprised that hieght and pole adjustments had as little effect on the output as they did, within reson of extreme settings of course. My meter was reading to the thousanth of a mv. =.001mv

I used a short effects patch cable right at the guitar's jack with some alligator (roach) clips. I know, far from a high tech science lab with a set of quadroid flux capacitors. But it did give me a good feel for how my pickups all related to each other. Having never tried any Dimarzios, I cannot say how cloase or accurate this all compares. But I honestly cant imagine a much more complex test than I did. My results were consistent and repeatable.

Ideally one would probably want to test right on the pickup leads. FWIW as you all might imagine, (gasp, ready) bigger number magnets make for bigger number voltages. OMG. No really it is true.
                    Last edited by lowenzz; 06-09-2009, 09:41 AM.
                    Carvin CS4 PG-n A4, BBQ-b
                    Ibanez AS103NTcustom /Super58's n&b
                    G&L ASAT Classic
                    G&L ASAT Deluxe carved top undecided

Comment

Originally posted by kivaz View Post

Thanks for the answers.
                      a couple important things to bear in mind here are that the same p/up will sound louder in the neck than the bridge position, due to the part of the string over the neck p/up moving more when struck; this is why bridge p/ups are usually wound hotter to compensate.

generally speaking though, you could estimate p/ups' relative output by weighing the amount of wire on the coil (DC resistance) against the strength of the magnet/s, but guitars with unbelievably loud neck slots (ie my LP) may muddy the proverbial waters...
                      eg an A2 single-coil in the neck position of a light guitar may be overpowered by something like an invader or PATB2 in the bridge position; and a P90 in the neck position will often shout down a humbucker in the bridge position.
                      but that's why you can adjust p/up and pole screw heights to compensate.

i would be confident that the p/ups you're talking about would work well together as well, btw

the DC resistance/inductance/output factor is more important in terms of blending p/ups together IMHO.

Comment

mV of a pickup depends on how hard you hit the string.
                        Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                        X