AIIPro,JB,Distortion MEGADETH comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIIPro,JB,Distortion MEGADETH comparison

I took a backing track for Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction" (with vocals too, it's cool) and recorded a short clip for left and right guitar parts using the bridge pickups in my :

Epiphone Black Beauty, Alnico II Pro

Jackson DK2M, JB

"Freya" strat copy (the pink one), Duncan Distortion

Yeah, sorry guys, I didn't do Marty's solo! Eventually I'll give it a go!

Which sounds the best? I used EXACTLY the same settings for each part, and each guitar.

JB: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7735216

Distortion: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7735215

Alnico II Pro: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7735214

Who says the A2P can't do metal?

Here's a link to the three clips in one, save you listening to each seperately - JB first, then the A2P, then the DD:

More!!!!

DiMarzio Super Distortion in my "Dave Murray" Squier copy:

Late 80's/early 90's Squier Fat Strat, stock pickup (I believe). This is the guitar I was asking for info on recently, it sounds alright although I think the pickup is more suited to less high gain styles. Pinch harmonics are still pretty easy to get though.

Finally, a single coil just to see how it'd sound.
    Squier Affinity single coil (in my Marlin "Freya" strat, the plywood guitar that was used here for the first SH6 Distortion clip).

MORE ADDED!

Okily-dokily I did some more. Now, I THINK I used the exact same settings, but I'm honestly not sure. I have one setting I use as my "go to" in Toneport, and I think I've used it for all these clips but I'm really not 100% certain, so bear it in mind when comparing these new ones with the older ones.

Okay first up, Jackson DK2 with an EMG81:

Next, the spiritual home of this song...Jackson KE3 Kelly (with new DK2 neck), JB again:

Another JB equipped Jackson, this time an SL3 Soloist:

And finally, another Jackson, this time my JDR-94 Concept, with a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL:

You might want to skip the Kelly and SL3 clips, since they're done with JBs in the bridge which I already did. Unless you want to compare three different JBs, I dunno. To be honest, everything is starting to sound the same to me.

I have to say, the EMG track was great fun to play, I thought it sounded awesome. But listening back to it, I think it sounds the absolute worst out of the lot. Funny how your ears hear one thing while you're playing, then another when listening back to it.

EDIT again, just added one with the Custom Custom I got off ebay, it's in a late 80's/early 90's Squier:

Last edited by Diocletian; 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Re: AIIPro,JB,Distortion MEGADETH comparison

I gotta say I'm surprised. The JB is my favourite pickup, and it sounds, to me, the worst in this little test. The Distortion sounds nice and tight, and closest to the real song. The A2P sounds loose in a nice way, and seems to let the drums and bass breathe.

I think for my next attempts at this cover I'll use the A2P for one side and the Distortion for the other.

Comment

Hmm... Didn't Dave use a JB for a while?

For your next test, you should compare the Distortion and A2P to something from Peace Sells.

Comment

Yeah Dave and Marty BOTH used JBs.
        Did you listen?

Comment

No, Symphony of Destruction bores the hell out of me. >.>

But I will listen to the Distortion clip in a bit.

Comment

Aye ok then. Don't strain yourself.

How's this ignore list thing work, I knew I shoulda done this when he started that carrot top garbage...

Last edited by Diocletian; 06-21-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

The side-by-side comparison really brings out the looseness in the lows of the JB compared to a pickup like the Distortion. Of the three I really likely the Distortion the most. The A2P had an open looseness to it, and I think if the bottom end could be tightened up without loosing the openness that it might be really good.

Thanks for sharing. That's a really good backing track... where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                The side-by-side comparison really brings out the looseness in the lows of the JB compared to a pickup like the Distortion. Of the three I really likely the Distortion the most. The A2P had an open looseness to it, and I think if the bottom end could be tightened up without loosing the openness that it might be really good.

Thanks for sharing. That's a really good backing track... where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?
                You pretty much heard things as I did Mike. For this particular song, I probably agree, the Distortion was best. Makes me wonder how Dave and Marty got such a tight rythm sound using JBs.

The backing track was from here - most of them don't have vocals I don't think. I'm gonna try "Switch 625" from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
                  You pretty much heard things as I did Mike. For this particular song, I probably agree, the Distortion was best. Makes me wonder how Dave and Marty got such a tight rythm sound using JBs.

The backing track was from here - most of them don't have vocals I don't think. I'm gonna try "Switch 625" from it.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/
                  i agree with the DD sounding closest the original recording, i believe it's because dave doesn't move much when playing that he gets such a controlled sound out of the JB. i quite liked the JB track, but agree that in the hands of mortals it's not as good a metal pickup as the DD. when i had one in an LP i thought it sounded great but it was almost hot enough to pick up the pulse in my picking hand.

sub the JB for the DD when you do your next one? the A2P and JB would sound awesome together IMO

Comment

The Pink strat copy with the DD is made out of plywoood right ?
                    Last edited by bryan the rocker; 06-21-2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I listened to the JB version, I dig ur playin on that, rockin!

Comment

Well in this case the DD sounds best. Of course, the versatility of the APH-1 rules...
                        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                        Originally posted by Sosomething
                        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Thanx for the test!
                          The JB has the right tone to it, the Distortion the right tightnes.
                          The Alnico pro II doesn't have the agressivenes and tightnes.
                          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                            The A2P had an open looseness to it, and I think if the bottom end could be tightened up without loosing the openness that it might be really good.
                            So maybe a Jazz or a 59?
                            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                            Originally posted by Sosomething
                            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I like the way you did this shootout. You might also want to try a separate set of clips where you change the amp settings to best suite each pickup. Just a thought. BTW - Great playing!
                              Guitars:
                              Agile AL 3000 (Custom/59 hybrid, stock neck)
                              Agile LP 2000 (A2Pro Set)
                              Fender JV Strat (Texas Hot bridge, Surfer N+M)

Amps:
                              5150, Bogner Shiva, JTM 45 Clone, Vox AD15VT

Cab: Avatar 4x12

Comment

Working...
                              X