This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well, Part LXXVI: 76 Trombones?

Thanks to Brian/Newking for passing The Well on to me for this week.

Fire away!

Re: The Well, Part LXXVI: 76 Trombones?

(First questions, woohoo!) Why are you so awesome?
    David Lee Roth VS. EVH, winner?
    Pepsi or Coca-Cola?
    Last edited by Ninja Monkey; 07-06-2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
      (First question, woohoo!) Why are you so awesome?
      David Lee Roth VS. EVH, winner?
      Pepsi or Coca-Cola?
      1. Congrats on being first
        • If you are implying that I am awesome and asking why, thanks, but I wasn't aware that I was "awesome."
        • If you're asking me if and why I think I am awesome, I don't really think I am. I see myself as pretty middle-of-the-road. I'm good at some things, but nothing earth-shattering by any means.

EVH.
      When I was little, I was a huge Pepsi fan, then for the last 8 years or so I've been more of a Coke person, but the new Pepsi Throwback is pretty good too. My loyalty is still with Coke, but I've been keeping the Pepsi pretty close.

Answering to resume at 10am Central tomorrow.
      Last edited by dd12939; 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

what do you think of those two co-hosts from "that metal show" on VH1 classic?
        what's your favorit song from each year from 1970 all the way up to 1985?
        what brand trombone do you own?
        do you listen to ska music because of the brass affiliation?
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

from your posts it seems to me that you have pretty sophisticated yet diverse tastes in music; how did this start out and do you have favorites?

Comment

also, how in the hell didja find that one stop motion pig/wolf video!??!
            Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
            ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

favorite:

food

pickups

guitar

booze

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Better version of "My Humps?"

Black Eyed Peas

Alanis Morissette

?
                *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Have you ever mic'd your euphonium and ran it through distortion boxes and an amp?

The reason I ask this is because back in my early 20's, there was a band from Michigan that did the mid-west bar circuit that, instead of a lead guitarist, had a dude playing trombone (bell baffled and mic'd) through dirt boxes and a Marshall. The sounds he could produce were other-worldly!
                  Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
                    what do you think of those two co-hosts from "that metal show" on VH1 classic?
                    what's your favorit song from each year from 1970 all the way up to 1985?
                    what brand trombone do you own?
                    do you listen to ska music because of the brass affiliation?
                    1) Haven't watched it. We don't really have live TV right now, I mostly just watch Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on Hulu.
                    2) I'll come back to that
                    3) Right now, a Conn 88H. I prefer Bachs, but you can't always get what you want, especially when it's a secondary instrument anyway
                    4) I haven't listened to much ska. I have old No Doubt and some Fishbone that get spun sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                      from your posts it seems to me that you have pretty sophisticated yet diverse tastes in music; how did this start out and do you have favorites?
                      Well, for whatever reason (I'll blame my mother and grandfather), I've enjoyed classical music for as long as I can remember. Of course, now I'm doing that all the time so there's the classical side. My dad was/is a big music fan and appreciates a huge variety of artists/genres. So when I was growing up (I mean like... 6 years old) some of my favorites were ZZ Top's Tres Hombres, Talking Heads' Naked and Neil Young's Live Rust. (It should also be noted here that I grew up with the California Raisins, who spawned a lifelong love of all things Motown) As I got a bit older (into elementary school) I liked Elvis and the Beach Boys. On about Fourth grade I made the biggest discovery I could have imagined by flipping the Beach Boys cassette tape over... The Beatles. I just couldn't get enough of them! Through middle school I got into Hendrix, Traffic and Zeppelin. Once I got to high school, I actually started sometimes listening to what was "popular" at the time, so I got some Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine sometimes.
                      I picked up the guitar at the end of my Freshman year and soon after, started picking up the guitar rags. I've actually found a lot of my favorites via those magazines - Gov't Mule, Megadeth, Opeth, Karate...

I can go on for days about this stuff... As for favorites, for the last several years it's been back and forth between Gov't Mule and Porcupine Tree. They're not always my "flavor of the week" but I never get tired of listening to them. Honorable mention to Gustav Holst's "The Planets" for being my favorite classical piece ever.

Edit - I guess the bottom line is that I like music that I can enjoy on different levels. Being "classically trained" part of me is always trying to do some harmonic analysis and sometimes I like something that's a bit more complex than I - IV - V7 - I... so I guess that leads to the "sophisticated" part. But I have absolutely nothing against three-chord rock and roll either. Or catchy pop songs for that matter! I try to keep an open mind.
                      Last edited by dd12939; 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
                        also, how in the hell didja find that one stop motion pig/wolf video!??!
                        Just one of my friends. I don't know where she found it.

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                          favorite:

food

pickups

guitar

booze

Food: a good Thai curry is hard to beat
                          Pickup: It's a toss up between my Custom 8 and my Alnico 8 PATB-1 One of these days I'd like to switch them in my guitars and see how that goes. I think the PATB might be too big for my SG's pickguard though.
                          Guitar: I split about 50/50 between my Strat and my SG these days, but the SG is still my #1.
                          Booze: To be honest, I don't drink all that much these days. Most of my drinking-friends were from undergrad and I just haven't made an effort to go find new ones. Fortunately, I'm living with two of those friends starting in August. All that said, I usually order a Long Island when I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
                            Better version of "My Humps?"

Black Eyed Peas

Alanis Morissette

?
                            Alanis Morissette, no question.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
                              Have you ever mic'd your euphonium and ran it through distortion boxes and an amp?

The reason I ask this is because back in my early 20's, there was a band from Michigan that did the mid-west bar circuit that, instead of a lead guitarist, had a dude playing trombone (bell baffled and mic'd) through dirt boxes and a Marshall. The sounds he could produce were other-worldly!
                              Yes. And it's awesome. Fuzz, chorus and a low octave make for some sonic madness.

Comment

Working...
                              X