• Show
Clear All

Re: The Well, Part LXXVI: 76 Trombones?

Originally posted by JohnJohn
    Fire a couple your way you asked me:

2 pieces-your opinion on them.

1.Vivaldi-The Four Seasons

2.Holst-The Planets
    1. The Four Seasons, for me anyway, has kind of just become part of my consciousness. I don't think I could sing for you any of them besides "Spring" but I always recognize them instantly. The real upside (or downside) to a piece being so widely popular is that you get dozens of recordings of it, *most* of them quite good. My personal favorite lately has been Janine Jansen's cut for Decca. As far as the piece itself is concerned, it's a real masterpiece... and I don't think too many people would argue that. While the melody/harmony/form/arrangement are all undeniably "Baroque," I think it remains timeless and tireless.

2. Holst's Planets Suite is far and away my favorite orchestral piece. My mom always liked "Jupiter" when I was growing up, so I part of it is the early exposure. It's one of the few orchestral pieces that calls for tenor tuba/euphonium, so it has that going for it. Its relatively short movements and widely varied moods keep it interesting so in that regard I find this piece to be a very good "gateway" piece into classical listening. (Although I'm totally into classical music, I'll be the first to say it can be a drag sometimes...). As far as classical music goes, I am mostly a fan of Romantic/Post-Romantic composers - I like some power and emotion in my music... and I like it out in front. The Planets definitely has that. Beyond the listening aspect, I find the score fascinating to study (yes I own a copy), and the astronomical/mythological/astrological side is fun to look at as well. Like the Four Seasons, this piece has been recorded TONS of times, and I've listened to a good portion of them. My very favorite is Charles Dutoit conducting the Montreal Symphony Orchestra from the mid 80s. Interpretation and production are top quality on that recording. Other good picks are Levine/Chicago, Gardiner/Philharmonia and Previn/Royal Phil. In my opinion, of course.

Comment

A while back you posted a picture of yourself in a dress. What's the story behind that one?
      Facebook - My facebook page
      Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
        A while back you posted a picture of yourself in a dress. What's the story behind that one?
        Haha... I'd forgotten I posted that. I think it was just a matter of me saying something stupid like "I make [this] look good... I make [that] look good." and my friend (the owner of said outfit) saying "Well see if you make that look good." It was not the first time I'd been caught in drag, nor will it be the last I am sure. For whatever reason, that sort of stuff just kind of happens to me sometimes. I think it's my "long, pretty hair."

Comment

Do you know any members of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
            Do you know any members of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils?
            I can't say that I do.

Comment

Ever been to Funky Munky Music in Shawnee?
              Aint no pro but I know what I like....
              Guitar to sound output:
              Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Ok, BTMN is up next!

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                  Ever been to Funky Munky Music in Shawnee?
                  Nope. I'll look into it!

Comment

Great Stuff, Tell Jon I said Hi!
                    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                    Guitar to sound output:
                    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Working...
                    X