Anyone have experience with Ibanez Super 58's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with Ibanez Super 58's

I have an AS103custom. It's my 335ish guitar. It has covered pickups called Super58's. According to the factory website these have ceramic mags.

This rig sounds so warm and smooth that I am completely stupified at the thought of these being ceramics. I hosestly like the sound but it just bugs me a bit. Stupid I know.

I can't help but wonder if maybe some Seth's or 59's are in my future here. I can't seem to leave well enough alone.

A couple pics, natural flame and creme bound everything. I have since replace the knobs with Amber Tophats and pots as well. It is a bit pimped, but cool nonetheless.

Last edited by lowenzz; 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM.
    Carvin CS4 PG-n A4, BBQ-b
    Ibanez AS103NTcustom /Super58's n&b
    G&L ASAT Classic
    G&L ASAT Deluxe carved top undecided

Re: Anyone have experience with Ibanez Super 58's

The pictures are absolutely beautiful. I know that Ibanez uses a lot of ceramics in their pickups. I also know that many sdugf members will come after me with torches and pitchforks when I say that I believe you that the pickups are warm and smooth. I hope that you didn't mean that you are bugged by the fact that you like the tone, even with the ceramic mags. Screw the conventional wisdom. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

On the other hand, to my ears, a good semi-hollow with marginal pickups sounds as good or better than most solid bodies with premium pickups. So there may be room for improvement. I've got a stock Epi Dot that I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. Based on my experiences with the Epi LP that I just rewired, I would lean towards a Jazz neck with some means of coil splitting. I used triple shot rings on my LP, which is a pretty easy way to go. I think a better way to go would be to do spin-a-split wiring on the neck pickup. I'd replace the neck tone pot with a concentric to control tone & split.

I would imagine that blueman335 could give you better advice than me on what would work best in the bridge position. Bridge p'up selection also strikes me as a lot more dependent on the genre or music you are playing. I never use the bridge alone for my style. Mostly I use both p'ups blended. with neck dominating.

Something that I would like to try in a semi-hollow is the Lace Sensor Alumatones. That's mainly because of the widely conflicting reports I've heard on them. I guess I'm a little dubious, because they're single coil, and I love a little HB growl.
    "And I don't want this guy taking you to some sketchy quarry in the middle of Newark to find crack whores huffing turpentine or pit bulls raping each other or whatever else is down here!" - Zach Braff
    http://www.soundclick.com/VekSeleneandGroundTruth

Comment

Originally posted by mudpuppy View Post
      The pictures are absolutely beautiful. I know that Ibanez uses a lot of ceramics in their pickups. I also know that many sdugf members will come after me with torches and pitchforks when I say that I believe you that the pickups are warm and smooth. I hope that you didn't mean that you are bugged by the fact that you like the tone, even with the ceramic mags. Screw the conventional wisdom. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

On the other hand, to my ears, a good semi-hollow with marginal pickups sounds as good or better than most solid bodies with premium pickups. So there may be room for improvement. I've got a stock Epi Dot that I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. Based on my experiences with the Epi LP that I just rewired, I would lean towards a Jazz neck with some means of coil splitting. I used triple shot rings on my LP, which is a pretty easy way to go. I think a better way to go would be to do spin-a-split wiring on the neck pickup. I'd replace the neck tone pot with a concentric to control tone & split.

I would imagine that blueman335 could give you better advice than me on what would work best in the bridge position. Bridge p'up selection also strikes me as a lot more dependent on the genre or music you are playing. I never use the bridge alone for my style. Mostly I use both p'ups blended. with neck dominating.

Something that I would like to try in a semi-hollow is the Lace Sensor Alumatones. That's mainly because of the widely conflicting reports I've heard on them. I guess I'm a little dubious, because they're single coil, and I love a little HB growl.
      What I was saying about ceramics is that every experience I have had with them thusfar and what has been embedded in the grey matter is that ceramics blow big buckets of ass. And I am very surprised by these pickups, shattering my myths so to speak.

This is my bluesy lounge lizard type tone, I don't really use the bridge alone either and prefer to blend as well. This would not have been a first choice guitar for me by a long shot. My wife picked this one out. Her words "you should have a pretty looking guitar". Can't argue with that. This has become my number 2 guitar.

I'm really looking for comparisons on the Super58's, what is up with these pickups. Myth shattering ceramic tone, YES I said ceramic tone. Can't believe it myself.
      G&L ASAT Classic

Comment

I just checked the 2009 Ibanez catalog. It lists the Super 58 as having an Alnico magnet. Guess that clears up that mystery. It's one of the very few p'ups they offer that doesn't have ceramic mags. I'm not sure if it's a 4-wire, but seeing as Ibanez is pretty into coil splitting, I would guess yes. If so, I would be tempted to try a triple shot ring for the neck when they finally are shipping the cream ones. I couldn't find any frequency response specs, unfortunately.
        "And I don't want this guy taking you to some sketchy quarry in the middle of Newark to find crack whores huffing turpentine or pit bulls raping each other or whatever else is down here!" - Zach Braff

Comment

to my ears, a good semi-hollow with marginal pickups sounds as good or better than most solid bodies with premium pickups.
          Can't argue with that. Something about 335's. That Ibanez AS103 is beautiful. Great score. I have the single cutaway hollowbody verion, the AF105, and I put a pair of '59's in mine. Sounds as good as it looks.

Yeah, I'm a 335 fanatic. Start with the basics about PU's. What about the current bridge don't you like, and what do you wish it had? If you want a little more warmth, an A2 or A4 might do it (and I can give you an A2, just let me know).

My approach with 335's (and all my guitars actually) is to get both PU's similar in EQ; a bright, well-defined neck & a warm strong bridge. In most guitars, this means an A5 neck PU with 500K's, although in brighter woods, an A4 sometimes works. In the bridge I'll either use an A5 HB, like a '59B or C5 with 250K's that take some top end off & emphasize the mids, or put in a warmer magnet, like an A4 or A8.

Another option these days is a HB-sized P-90. I've gotten to like Phat Cats, although they need magnet swaps in mahogany & semi-hollows (they each come with twin A2's) to get some treble & definition into them.

So what music are you playing and where do you want the EQ to go with you PU's?
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I just checked the 2009 Ibanez catalog. It lists the Super 58 as having an Alnico magnet. Guess that clears up that mystery. It's one of the very few p'ups they offer that doesn't have ceramic mags. I'm not sure if it's a 4-wire, but seeing as Ibanez is pretty into coil splitting, I would guess yes. If so, I would be tempted to try a triple shot ring for the neck when they finally are shipping the cream ones. I couldn't find any frequency response specs, unfortunately.
            I can verify two wire as I replaced the pots and knobs right when I got the guitar.
            G&L ASAT Classic

Comment

Too bad it's a 2-wire. I've been so happy with the single coil sound on my LP neck pu that I wouldn't even consider not having that option on any future swaps that I do.

One thing you might do is measure the dc resistance of the Super 58s. You can get an pretty accurate reading measuring from the output jack. Just make sure that the volume pots are cranked all the way up. The 500k or 250k resistance in parallel will bias your readings slightly low, but not enough to make much difference. That should give you a ballpark feel for output levels and frequency response for what you currently have. Of course other factors such as magnet alloy and wire gauge are going to make a difference.

I was looking at the Phat Staples on the sticky post and picturing your Ibanez with a set in gold/cream. Don't know how it would sound, but your wife would love it.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Can't argue with that. Something about 335's. That Ibanez AS103 is beautiful. Great score. I have the single cutaway hollowbody verion, the AF105, and I put a pair of '59's in mine. Sounds as good as it looks.

Yeah, I'm a 335 fanatic. Start with the basics about PU's. What about the current bridge don't you like, and what do you wish it had? If you want a little more warmth, an A2 or A4 might do it (and I can give you an A2, just let me know).

My approach with 335's (and all my guitars actually) is to get both PU's similar in EQ; a bright, well-defined neck & a warm strong bridge. In most guitars, this means an A5 neck PU with 500K's, although in brighter woods, an A4 sometimes works. In the bridge I'll either use an A5 HB, like a '59B or C5 with 250K's that take some top end off & emphasize the mids, or put in a warmer magnet, like an A4 or A8.

Another option these days is a HB-sized P-90. I've gotten to like Phat Cats, although they need magnet swaps in mahogany & semi-hollows (they each come with twin A2's) to get some treble & definition into them.

So what music are you playing and where do you want the EQ to go with you PU's?
                No magnet swapping needed here, like I said, I really am happy with the tone as it stands. I just play with a soiled clean tone and noodle 12bar progressions and fills here and there. Not even as much gain as RevBFG or Gary Moore. Just a soiled clean to allmost clean.
                Last edited by lowenzz; 07-18-2009, 11:11 AM.
                G&L ASAT Classic

Comment

Too bad it's a 2-wire. I've been so happy with the single coil sound on my LP neck pu that I wouldn't even consider not having that option on any future swaps that I do.

One thing you might do is measure the dc resistance of the Super 58s. You can get an pretty accurate reading measuring from the output jack. Just make sure that the volume pots are cranked all the way up. The 500k or 250k resistance in parallel will bias your readings slightly low, but not enough to make much difference. That should give you a ballpark feel for output levels and frequency response for what you currently have. Of course other factors such as magnet alloy and wire gauge are going to make a difference.

I was looking at the Phat Staples on the sticky post and picturing your Ibanez with a set in gold/cream. Don't know how it would sound, but your wife would love it.
                  Those staple pups do look schweet. And they have been drooled on more than once allready. The resistance readings of the pickups are 7.1 neck and 7.4 bridge, very PAFish. They are just fine.

I just need to learn to be content as these are truely good pups and really don't need to be replaced. I am a tinkerer at heart and never know when to stop messing with stuff.
                  G&L ASAT Classic

Comment

Well, I have been searching the internet for pickup ID'ing with no success

As near I can tell, it is a 2008 AS103NT Custom. decal inside the hollow section confirms. The pickups have small stampings of S58-N and S58-B.

I assumed this meant Super58. The Ibanez website says they are Custom58's
                    I have also found them specified as Super58Customs. WTF.

58's appear to have been made in both alnico and ceramic. I can honestly say I am kinda burnt on the research. They sound good, They will probably stay anyways, I was just curious if anyone had any additional info to share.

Thanks, Low
                    G&L ASAT Classic

Comment

Howdy,

That's a beautiful guitar! If you are happy with your tone, don't change a thing. I only changed the stock P/Us on my Gibson ES-335 because they were those awful "Dirty Fingers" and not the traditional ES- 335 type HBers. Enjoy that lovely guitar.

Eggman

Comment

I think my Ibanez Artstar AS-120 has Alnico Super '58s. I love these, and I would never change them for something "better".

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I have the same guitar and I love it to pieces. I tried some 59's I had laying around in it.. and they sounded great no doubt, but there was something.. missing.. from the original sound so I went back to the Super 58's and have kept it like that since.

The only, only, singular thing that bugs me is that ceramics sound a bit.. 'crisper' when you hit them hard, so while playing jazz I would go to play a heavily accented downstroke line and the tone starts sounding sharp and weak rather than warm and thick as most pickups tend to do when you really hit the strings.

Me, with my lover:

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                          I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                          Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post

The only, only, singular thing that bugs me is that ceramics sound a bit.. 'crisper' when you hit them hard, so while playing jazz I would go to play a heavily accented downstroke line and the tone starts sounding sharp and weak rather than warm and thick as most pickups tend to do when you really hit the strings.
                            I´m having that EXACT same ´problem´, using the rounded side of my pick, or playing with my thumb helps, but that ´sharp´ tone is there...
                            I´m debating either swapping it out with a Benedetto B-6 (although that 'll be a costly option), or just changing the TOM-bridge to the (guitar) included rosewood bridge...

Comment

the ibanez super 58s need no changing - they are VERY happenin pickups ... the only reason i swapped out my 58s back in the day was because i needed something 'modern' and 4 wire for some switching options i was after so i went with bill lawrence XL500s (ceramic) .... but on their own, the 58s are VERY cool for that warm natural 335ish sound

listen with your ears, not your eyes
                              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                              X