This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Without Further Ado: SDUGF's Top 100 Albums

Thanks for an awesome job awesomely done, Keith !

I simply cannot believe that Trout Mask Replica didn't make the number one spot. (is there something fishy about that ??)
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords View Post
      Good stuff Keith.

A very special thanks to you for your time investment.

Greatly appreciated.
      Yeah, Thanks dude.
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

If I understood the directions correctly my compatability score is 39.8%. Suddenly I'm feeling the love.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Well, this was certainly interesting. I have to say, the one thing this list says to me, besides "Keith has way too much time on his hands and wants a marketing job" is that we have way too many old classic rock farts here!

I don't mean that in a bad way, it just really stuns me at the whole first page of Zepp, VH, Beatles, and Floyd. There is a lot of great music out there besides that (Not that I voted for any of it either!!!!)

Makes me think I need to expand my horizons a bit...There is very little 80's, and even less 90's in in there. I'd think the best albums would be fairly well distributed over the years.
          Classic Rock is a guitar heavy genre and I think the top 100 isn't very surprising.....we are guitar players after all.

If this was a horn player's forum....classic rock wouldn't even be represented.

Kudos to Keith for all the hard work!
          Originally posted by tone4days
          we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Excellent, excellent work!

I know what you're saying Aceman, but those classic rock/classic metal albums really shaped my current musical personality. I have 9 of my choices on the list, the only one not on there I knew wouldn't be. I had two albums (AEnima, Jar of Flies) form the 90's and one (Mogwai) from '00's. I'm very pleased to see how well Jar of Flies did too.

Again, great work Keith! (Time to see whaich albums I don't have that I need to get)
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

not a single one that I voted for is up there
              Originally posted by kilphody
              There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

PS - Future math tip; Don't use a 1 unit weight count equal to the inversion (i.e.; top ten, number one gets 10 points, number two gets 9) Spread the score/weight a bit - #1 gets 20, #2 18, #3 16, #4 14 #5 10, ect....You'll get a better spread and less ties.
                That's a great idea!

Quid pro quo: When dealing with discrete quantities, you should use the word "fewer" in place of "less."
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by cream123 View Post
                  not a single one that I voted for is up there
                  +1... A few years ago, I would've listed Division Bell and Animals, but eh. They're on my top 30.
                  Love,
                  /Andy

Comment

This list confirmed what I suspected - I'm not representative for the consensus music taste of the SDUGF. I've got two from my favorite list finding their way to the top 100: Dark Side of the Moon, and And Justice for All.
                    My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                      This list confirmed what I suspected - I'm not representative for the consensus music taste of the SDUGF. I've got two from my favorite list finding their way to the top 100: Dark Side of the Moon, and And Justice for All.
                      Tor, your compatibility rating for this list is 16%.
                      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

awesome.

but no superunknown?! you people should be ashamed of yourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                          Tor, your compatibility rating for this list is 16%.
                          Thanks! I said 20%, but I figured the real number was around 10%. The range was right though.

Makes me think I need to expand my horizons a bit...There is very little 80's, and even less 90's in in there. I'd think the best albums would be fairly well distributed over the years.
                          I think you're right, but I'll toss in a hypothesis that might explain it a bit: the 60s and the 70s could offer less artists and bands, and thus the list-making on this forum has concentrated on these few big shots. The 90s and 00s exploded with a lot more artists joining, but for each new, the cake piece diminished - people today are perhaps much more able (than the generation prior to this) to tailor their own music taste by seeking out "obscurities", or semi-obscurities. Therefore the newer music won't get as many votes. I have no idea if this is plausible though.

Plus, I really believe that kids can adopt their parents' music taste much easier than the case for the opposite direction. Case in point, I voted for DSOTM as my #4 favorite, as I believe a lot of other youngsters did as well. My dad would never embrace Ghost Reveries.

Plus II, I don't remember last time there was a survey over the members' ages here, but I think the bell-curve was skewed towards the ol' geezers.
                          My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                            awesome.

but no superunknown?! you people should be ashamed of yourselves
                            Superunknown just missed the list, coming in at #118.
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                              Thanks! I said 20%, but I figured the real number was around 10%. The range was right though.

I think you're right, but I'll toss in a hypothesis that might explain it a bit: the 60s and the 70s could offer less artists and bands, and thus the list-making on this forum has concentrated on these few big shots. The 90s and 00s exploded with a lot more artists joining, but for each new, the cake piece diminished - people today are perhaps much more able (than the generation prior to this) to tailor their own music taste by seeking out "obscurities", or semi-obscurities. Therefore the newer music won't get as many votes. I have no idea if this is plausible though.

Plus, I really believe that kids can adopt their parents' music taste much easier than the case for the opposite direction. Case in point, I voted for DSOTM as my #4 favorite, as I believe a lot of other youngsters did as well. My dad would never embrace Ghost Reveries.

Plus II, I don't remember last time there was a survey over the members' ages here, but I think the bell-curve was skewed towards the ol' geezers.
                              That and, to me at least, albums were more concise and didn't have as many throw away songs on them from that era.
                              Originally posted by tone4days
                              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill View Post
                                That and, to me at least, albums were more concise and didn't have as many throw away songs on them from that era.
                                Yeah, I didn't think about that, but I fully agree with you.

Edit: thanks a bunch, Keith, for this effort! Very entertaining and interesting. Vault?
                                Last edited by Tor; 08-09-2009, 10:31 AM.
                                My Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                                X