X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well LXXXII: Fender_Punk Sees The Well As Half Full

Originally posted by DLT View Post
    Fender Punk...good to see you back!
    Thanks DLT. Good to have your aroma of BBQ roadkill permeating my well.

Any Q.s?
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

tell us a bit about your collection, what was that LP-shaped hollowbody like?
      and compare your two teles, they look interesting

Comment

O darn. Is the attention off of me? What the hell guys? hehe.

Someone explain this to me. Is this some sort of SD Forum tradition? Like a roast or something?

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
          tell us a bit about your collection, what was that LP-shaped hollowbody like?
          and compare your two teles, they look interesting
          I kind of miss the hollow-body, it was all-maple except the rosewood fretboard, but there were a few dead frets and the Strat I traded it for has nice neck and middle pickups, comfy neck and no dead frets, just want to replace the bridge pickup and I'll start using it more.

The two Teles are really neck in neck, can't really pick a favourite. I guess the Fender is a bit more versatile in the tones it can coax but the Squier having the Phat Cat is heavier and crunchier under the same amount of gain, and has a couple nice clean tones, but not as great as the Fender in that department. The necks are the same shape but the Fender is a tad thicker, both feel great though. Both have alder bodies, the Squier being a bit lighter, no more than a pound lighter though. In terms of craftsmanship the '90s Korean Squier (Standard series) seems on par with the '04 MIM Fender.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my Squier Jazz Bass. Great axe for the $150 I paid. Alder body, bare maple neck, nice dark rosewood board with pearl dot inlays. The pickups could be better but I bring it to open jams and it has no problem keeping up or sounding good through the house bass-amp (which granted is fairly big). I want to eventually give it a new pickguard (red) and maybe new pickups.
          Last edited by Fender_Punk; 09-05-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: Didn't even mention the bass
          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by StalePretzel View Post
            O darn. Is the attention off of me? What the hell guys? hehe.

Someone explain this to me. Is this some sort of SD Forum tradition? Like a roast or something?
            It's a way to get to better know your forum bros and sisters. It goes for about a week or less if the well has "dried up" (no new questions) or the holder is tired of answering questions.

Comment

I'm currently listening to "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" by Bad Religion. What do you think about that album?

Who are the bands and musicians who have been most influential in your own development as a musician?

Why is it that you answered t4d's question "tell us one thing that is not true today but that is likely to be true about you in 5 years but that you hope to avoid?" with 'Death'?
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                I kind of miss the hollow-body, it was all-maple except the rosewood fretboard, but there were a few dead frets and the Strat I traded it for has nice neck and middle pickups, comfy neck and no dead frets, just want to replace the bridge pickup and I'll start using it more.

The two Teles are really neck in neck, can't really pick a favourite. I guess the Fender is a bit more versatile in the tones it can coax but the Squier having the Phat Cat is heavier and crunchier under the same amount of gain, and has a couple nice clean tones, but not as great as the Fender in that department. The necks are the same shape but the Fender is a tad thicker, both feel great though. Both have alder bodies, the Squier being a bit lighter, no more than a pound lighter though. In terms of craftsmanship the '90s Korean Squier (Standard series) seems on par with the '04 MIM Fender.
                all maple? shame it needed so much work, the photo's cool

interesting re the teles; have you considered putting the fender neck on the squier?

Comment

If you could only play one guitar for the rest of your life, but could pick(or create) anything, what would it be...be specific....
                  Last edited by elscorcho; 08-30-2009, 09:03 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                    I'm currently listening to "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" by Bad Religion. What do you think about that album?
                    The same thing I think about EVERY other Bad Religion album; "MAN THIS %$*#@!^ ROCKS!!"

Who are the bands and musicians who have been most influential in your own development as a musician?
                    The biggest is probably The Clash. I've been listening to them as far back as I have memories, and the lyrics speak to me while the music pleases my ears. Joe Strummer is also a big influence on me picking up a Telecaster, although Hefe from NOFX, The Specials, Strza of Leftover Crack, East bay Ray of Dead Kennedys, Tragically Hip, and Gang of Four all played a part in that too.

Other bands/artists who have influenced my playing and/or gear tastes are Anti-Flag, The Ramones, Bad Religion, Mescaleros, The Jam, Bouncing Souls, Good Riddance, Against Me! Operation Ivy, Sublime, Nirvana, Rancid, Rage Against The Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Motorhead, Foo Fighters, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Robert Johnson, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, and Woodie Guthrie....

Why is it that you answered t4d's question "tell us one thing that is not true today but that is likely to be true about you in 5 years but that you hope to avoid?" with 'Death'?
                    5 years from now will be 2014. It's also not true today that I'm dead and it's something I'd like to avoid but with all the possible ways to die in this world and my goals on affecting society it could be likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                      all maple? shame it needed so much work, the photo's cool

interesting re the teles; have you considered putting the fender neck on the squier?
                      Nah, I like them each how they are now, no need to swap necks.

Originally posted by elscorcho View Post
                      If you could only play one guitar for the rest of your life, but could pick(or create) anything, what would it be...be specific....
                      It would be a honey blonde blackguard Telecaster with an ash body with a shallow waist contour. All maple 1 piece neck, thick C shape. SD 1/4 lb Tele bridge pickup with a Phat Cat neck pickup and 4-way Tele switch. bridge would be vintage with compensated brass saddles and control plate would be reversed. Bone nut and locking tuners.

Comment

I noticed you have a sunburst by the name of Sunny Jim. Is this partly based on Keith Richards "Sonny" 1974 sunburst tele?

Also, If you had to choose between a relic telecaster, would you choose Keith Richards "Micawber" or Springsteen "Tele-Esquire"?

Comment

Originally posted by StalePretzel View Post
                          I noticed you have a sunburst by the name of Sunny Jim. Is this partly based on Keith Richards "Sonny" 1974 sunburst tele?

Nope, I just have a friend who's mom will call people Sonny or Sonny Jim and one time after being called such I thought it'd make a good name. I spell it Sunny as a pun on it being Sunburst.

Also, If you had to choose between a relic telecaster, would you choose Keith Richards "Micawber" or Springsteen "Tele-Esquire"?
                          Good question. If I chose Micawber could it have the Low E pole piece put back in it's pickups and strung with all 6 strings? If so I'd take Micawber as it has a humbucker in the neck. If I had to take either guitar "as-is" and leave it as such, I'd take the Tele-Esquire.

Comment

Great Well so far!
                            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                              Great Well so far!
                              Thanks. Now what is it you want to ask??

Gee this well-holding business is easier than it looked. Or are you guys just going easy on me?

Comment

Any more questions?

Comment

Working...
                                X