banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guest Luthier Series - Peter Crossley (Crossley Guitars)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Peter Crossley (Crossley Guitars)

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
    If you had to pick two guitars in the world that influenced you to build your own instruments, based on

1. The one that you looked at and thought "I could do a better job than that"

and

2. The one you looked at and said "I Wish to be able to build that well one day."

What were they?
    First of all
    love the Avatar... Nectar of the Gods

Without specifically naming brands lets just say that 1./ was named after a recently deceased great guitar player, and 2./ the maker of Carlos Santana's guitar of choice.
    I gotta say here though that I used to own a 1,/ and the quality of late just aint there.... sad huh
    www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post
      First of all
      love the Avatar... Nectar of the Gods
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Just a few more questions, I promise!

What's your favorite amp?

Have you ever thought about branching out into amp/effects building?

I've noticed most of your guitars have humbuckers - do you prefer them over single coils, and if so, why?

What sound do you go for with most of your guitars? Is there a particular tone you're aiming for, or are you going for something unique?

Thanks again for doing this, you really do make drool-worthy guitars!
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Me again, pete. I was just in the lab (i work as a research scientist) and someone at the bench next to me had an "OH SH!T" moment. You know, where the second you've done something you realize you just made a horrible mistake and screwed something up oh so badly.

Have you ever been building a guitar and had one of these moments? If so and you dont mind sharing it, what was it and were you able to fix it?

Also, while we are at it, id like to learn a little about Peter Crossley the man and not just the luthier. Do you have any hobbies/pass times you love to do when you arent busy with guitars? Also what kind of music inspires you and your playing?

Cheers, and thanks again!
          Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

If you were younger and less experienced and had the opportunity to apprentice with any guitar builder in the world, who would that be?
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Hi Pete! Great to have you here and thanks for doing this!

How much capital (monetary or otherwise) did you have to obtain in order to start and sustain your business?

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                Just a few more questions, I promise!

What's your favorite amp?

Have you ever thought about branching out into amp/effects building?

I've noticed most of your guitars have humbuckers - do you prefer them over single coils, and if so, why?

What sound do you go for with most of your guitars? Is there a particular tone you're aiming for, or are you going for something unique?

Thanks again for doing this, you really do make drool-worthy guitars!
                My favorite amp is the one I'm playing now which is a MI Audio Revelation
                4 channels of madness. If I didnt have that, maybe a Cornford Hellcat

No I used to be an Electrical Engineer, and I am well and truly over circuits!!

Yeah I like humbuckers, I also wire the bucker so that they individually split via the vol-neck tone-bridge to get a quasi single pole sound.
                I like the buckers because they get closer to the sound thats in my head.. if that makes any sense...
                I have noticed that my guitars dont sound like the usual suspects. Yet they all exhibit the same "type" of sound. I like it, but its hard to describe.
                www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
                  Me again, pete. I was just in the lab (i work as a research scientist) and someone at the bench next to me had an "OH SH!T" moment. You know, where the second you've done something you realize you just made a horrible mistake and screwed something up oh so badly.

Have you ever been building a guitar and had one of these moments? If so and you dont mind sharing it, what was it and were you able to fix it?

Also, while we are at it, id like to learn a little about Peter Crossley the man and not just the luthier. Do you have any hobbies/pass times you love to do when you arent busy with guitars? Also what kind of music inspires you and your playing?

Cheers, and thanks again!

you betcha !!!
                  sometimes they can be saved other times they become expensive firewood!!

I have had a guitar body on the spindle cutter and just drifted slightly in the attention game. The body bit hard and splintered a 3" piece straight off a lovely piece of quilted maple............. agggggghhhhh.
                  nothing could save it i'm afraid.

A couple of years ago I used to competively race yachts. I have a 26' foot racing yacht moored in Port Phillip bay.
                  I got quite good at it, winning the club Aggregate championships for a few years running.
                  I lost interest in it and havn't raced for quite a while now.
                  What I love is Aussie Rules Football, my team has just finished on top of the ladder. St Kilda. We are now favorites for the Grand Final, but we have only ever won one Grand Final in 150 years..........
                  So as a supporter this is all very new and unfamiliar territory.
                  The music I love is very mixed. from classical to metal..and back again.
                  if it is played with heart and soul I'm all for it.

I have a trio that is rehearsing some original stuff, no vocals just instrumentals..
                  guitar/bass/drums

Oh and drinking beer...

but thats more of a religeon than a pastime here in OZ...
                  www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

I'm sneaking a sec on the computer.

First, Peter, It's been a pleasure just having you as a forum Bro and glad you are part of the family! Sometimes retailers or what have you only make appearances to advertise.. So, I respect that you are involved.
                    You're creations appear amazing and with you and some of the other builders we have on the sight, Ive been inspired to build my own one day! (Thanks to all !)

Im sorry if this has been asked, I am sneaking a minute on the comp and havent had the chance to read all the others yet.
                    My main question is the development of your neck/body joint. First, are they neckthru or set? The neck/body contours on yours appear to be completely unobstructed. Ive always wondered why that isnt more common. If they are set, how do you do it?

Also, my biggest fear of building a guitar is truss rod installment. Is that a difficult thing to learn?

If these have been covered, please just say covered and I'LL read thru when I get the chance.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing further creations from you!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                      If you were younger and less experienced and had the opportunity to apprentice with any guitar builder in the world, who would that be?

Definetly Robert Benedetto.

The guy is a genius.
                      www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

My favorite amp is the one I'm playing now which is a MI Audio Revelation
                        4 channels of madness. If I didnt have that, maybe a Cornford Hellcat
                        That amp is very interesting, yet there seems to be very little info on it in the net excluding the MI Audio site. So, could you tell us something about this amp?
                        Guitars:
                        http://my.opera.com/KK91/albums/slideshow/?album=969652

Comment

What led you to choose the Master Volume/Master Tone control setup over VVT or VVTT (or something else)?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                            Hi Pete! Great to have you here and thanks for doing this!

How much capital (monetary or otherwise) did you have to obtain in order to start and sustain your business?

Well I use the workshop that i built in my backyard as a workplace, so I dont have any overheads for factory/studio rental. Thats a big plus.

I slowly accumulated tools, with every guitar sale I put money aside for tools/materials.

Hard to put a monetry figure on it, other than it is fairlly substantial. and I'm never going to get rich!!!
                            But thats not why I do it..

I did have to work as an engineer for a long time to be able to get to a point of being relatively self supporting.
                            www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Definetly Robert Benedetto.

The guy is a genius.
                              And a great guy to boot. Thanks, Pete.
                              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                                I'm sneaking a sec on the computer.

First, Peter, It's been a pleasure just having you as a forum Bro and glad you are part of the family! Sometimes retailers or what have you only make appearances to advertise.. So, I respect that you are involved.
                                You're creations appear amazing and with you and some of the other builders we have on the sight, Ive been inspired to build my own one day! (Thanks to all !)

Im sorry if this has been asked, I am sneaking a minute on the comp and havent had the chance to read all the others yet.
                                My main question is the development of your neck/body joint. First, are they neckthru or set? The neck/body contours on yours appear to be completely unobstructed. Ive always wondered why that isnt more common. If they are set, how do you do it?

Also, my biggest fear of building a guitar is truss rod installment. Is that a difficult thing to learn?

If these have been covered, please just say covered and I'LL read thru when I get the chance.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing further creations from you!
                                The guitars are set necks with a tenon joint.
                                The angle is equally divisible into 360 degrees, making it a "natural" number.
                                the tricky part is that I have to also incorporate the neck angle, which ranges from 1.75 to 3.5 degrees (depending on bridge type) into this cut as well. So I have one angle in one plane and another in the adjacent plane.
                                Its a bit hard to describe, and it took me quite a bit of development time to get it right. Could be why its not more common.

Dont freak out about truss rod installation, thats an easy one. Check out the "Make your own Electric Guitar" book by Melvyn Hiscock. He explains a couple of ways to do it, in easy to understand words.
                                Well worth the few bucks it costs.
                                www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X