banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guest Luthier Series - Peter Crossley (Crossley Guitars)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Peter Crossley (Crossley Guitars)

Well Pete, i cant think of too much more to ask so im just gonna say thank you very much. Been a pleasure talking to you and reading your answers. Thanks again for pulling an all nighter to make this possible.

One last one for you. You mentioned the steeply rising costs of quality timber, have you ever considered trying some more sustainable options like laminate birch (cough gibson cough) or more realistically, something like carbon fiber?
    Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Originally posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
      To follow up my previous question:

What's one memorable job where the sum was just "what do people THINK is possible?!" *ie: pickup wirings, body stylings, and which one was the most interesting?

Can a person supply his / her own pickups (ie: a set of duncans that are really liked, etc.)

Are there any woods (besides the endangered BRW) or parts that you simply will not use

What part of the guitar, that most people would think is insignificant, do you feel is the greatest factor on tone / sustain / resonance? (ie: pound for pound, which is the most important?)

What types of caps and pots (companies) do you find brings out the best in a guitar, and with the greatest consistency, and why?

Jason
      I am in the middle of a build at the moment for a player up in Sydney. He plays in a progressive band , along the lines of Robert Fripp Brian Eno etc..
      His brief was to build a P series, Hollow, Tremolo, standard passive pickups 2 x humbuckers a Roland G3 midi pickup and assorted circuitry.
      This has been probably the most interesting build, because of the hollowing of the body, yet still retaining enough "meat" to install a tremolo, and still have space for all the paraphinalia associated with the Roland system.
      so the controls are
      vol pus/pill neck split
      3 way selector passive
      tone push/pull bridge split
      vol G3
      LED g3 operational
      3 way toggle midi/guitar/blend
      2 push pad operators
      standard 1/4 jack
      13 pin midi jack
      This has been a lot of fun so far, the body is sooo hollowed it weighs next to nothing.

I'm always open to the clients take on pickups/wiring etc. from these differences many good designs are found. Supply of items like favorite pups etc is all part of the deal.
      The idea is "custom" guitars, built to the customers spec's. with as much guidance as I can provide.

I honestly dont think any one part of the guitar outweighs another in the importance stakes.
      without the various components and parts, different timbers etc it just would not be a guitar.
      I believe that the fretboard plays a big part on the tone of the guitar, Pickups- most definetly, body/neck timbers also important. I cant think of one that takes precedence, although the sound is primarily determined by the pups.

I dont really get too much into the relative values of different components such as caps and pots.
      I have used CTS and Alpha pots and I cant hear any difference.
      I have used Orange drop caps by Sprague, metal film, plastic film 5% tolerence and 10% tolerance.
      The only difference I noticed was with the Sprague caps.
      and I'm not sure if that was me wanting to believe there was a difference in tone, or whether there really was a difference in tone....
      www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
        Well Pete, i cant think of too much more to ask so im just gonna say thank you very much. Been a pleasure talking to you and reading your answers. Thanks again for pulling an all nighter to make this possible.

One last one for you. You mentioned the steeply rising costs of quality timber, have you ever considered trying some more sustainable options like laminate birch (cough gibson cough) or more realistically, something like carbon fiber?
        yes I have thought about carbon fibre. I'm a great admirer of Ken Parker, he really went out there with the fly.
        I'm still investigating different timbers, part of the trouble is that everyone wants a flame or quilted top. so the market determines the build...
        yeah been great talking, the sun is just starting to come up 6.21 AM nearly bedtime !!!!
        www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Pete,
          Thanks for doing this! Sorry that I have not been able to read all the previous posts (I'm at work), but will definitely get to it later tonight. Anyway, how did you get into guitar building? Is it rewarding work or simply work? Do you consider making a guitar a process or an art form? I know these all seem off point, but I enjoy business and would love to do something that allows me to use creativeness as well as being rewarding, beyond just the regular paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
            Pete,
            Thanks for doing this! Sorry that I have not been able to read all the previous posts (I'm at work), but will definitely get to it later tonight. Anyway, how did you get into guitar building? Is it rewarding work or simply work? Do you consider making a guitar a process or an art form? I know these all seem off point, but I enjoy business and would love to do something that allows me to use creativeness as well as being rewarding, beyond just the regular paycheck.
            It is rewarding work, ther is something really cool about building a guitar for a client, then watching and hearing him play it.
            Its making an instrument that is a window to a players soul. and that is very special. I count myself as a very lucky person to be able to do this.
            www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

OK guys, get your final questions in. Peter will be with us for around 30 more minutes.
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Evan,
                Thank you for the opportunity to share a little of my life on the other side of the world with a bunch of great people.
                I have really enjoyed my time here tonight/today even though I am a little weary at the moment.

Thanks to everybody for the great questions, what you have done in many cases tonight is make me look at what I am doing, and my principles and reasons for doing it. It really has been an eye opener for myself, and I thank you again for this opportunity.

I hope you all have a great evening, as I watch the sun come up. Isnt the world a crazy place !!!!

Cheers
                Pete
                www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

If one wanted to start building guitars, where would you recommend starting? Mastering the skills of woodworking (i.e. cut & shape guitar bodies), electronics, or simply assembling (buying pre-made parts and slapping it all together)? What's the best learning process for one to work their way to building their own, completely custom guitars?

Comment

Any other Aussie builders you think are doing good work and what is/are the best guitar(s) you have played that was made outside of Australia?

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                      If one wanted to start building guitars, where would you recommend starting? Mastering the skills of woodworking (i.e. cut & shape guitar bodies), electronics, or simply assembling (buying pre-made parts and slapping it all together)? What's the best learning process for one to work their way to building their own, completely custom guitars?
                      I really think that getting some good hand skills in woodworking would be the best place to start.
                      It also has added benefits in the form of impressing the ladies by making pieces of furniture !!!!

Putting together kit guitars such as Warmoth etc. is a valid way of getting a guitar. but It wont lead to a career as a luthier. That takes a different set of skills.
                      If you are looking to do it, good luck, you wont ever get rich, but you might just get happy..
                      www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                        Any other Aussie builders you think are doing good work and what is/are the best guitar(s) you have played that was made outside of Australia?

Craig O'Donnel is a good luthier,
                        Ian Noyce, psooibly the godfather of Aussie luthiers

best o/s guitar..... Parker fly
                        www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Has anyone had a guitar built by you and then later sold it? If so, how did you feel ?

Will you come along to the next SDUGF Melbourne get-together and meet people like Will_ST, Dr. Ad, Golden Vulture and as many other Melbourne/Victorian members as we can get ? (it's pencilled in for sometime this month as far as I know).
                          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                            Has anyone had a guitar built by you and then later sold it? If so, how did you feel ?

Will you come along to the next SDUGF Melbourne get-together and meet people like Will_ST, Dr. Ad, Golden Vulture and as many other Melbourne/Victorian members as we can get ? (it's pencilled in for sometime this month as far as I know).

yes,

I can handle that, people move on for different reasons, and I have to respect that.

I would love to , PM some details.
                            www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Peter, on the question about "woods that were off-limits", I think it was slightly vague the answer, does that mean that only endangered woods are off-limits, nothing has every consistently just "sucked" to where it's on the "do not use" list, or a mix of both.

Also, as for the prog-guitar... what's a G3-switch?, and what's it look like? (pics!)

Jason
                              <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

Originally posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
                                Peter, on the question about "woods that were off-limits", I think it was slightly vague the answer, does that mean that only endangered woods are off-limits, nothing has every consistently just "sucked" to where it's on the "do not use" list, or a mix of both.

Also, as for the prog-guitar... what's a G3-switch?, and what's it look like? (pics!)

Jason
                                sorry Jason, also getting a little fuzzy,
                                yes timbers that are CITES listed are definetly no-go.
                                of all the timber out there, probably only 5% is any good for guitars building. a lot of it is just plain wrong, no tone, etc.
                                If its used for building a house/boat/pier its no good for a guitar. generally speaking of course.

A G3 is a midi system.
                                makes a guitar sound like a synthesiser, or a banjo, or a piano, or a police siren etc.
                                www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X