This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

What guitar do you consider to be your #1? The one you reach for whenever you feel the need to play. Could you explain what makes you gravitate towards that particular one? Pic perhaps?
    Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
    he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Comment

Originally posted by StalePretzel View Post
      Dear Jol, i've never really had much money to invest in guitar repair. If something was wrong I always had to learn to fix it, or live with it. From someone who is pulling his hair out due to stress, could you maybe explain some home-style methods of shaping and slotting a nut on a guitar. It would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

-=Stale=-
      I'm actually in the process of making a video about how we do that. It's pretty basic stuff. We rough shape the blank and put marking slots in with a small saw. Then we use a fixture to determine the overall height of the nut by measuring the difference between the nut platform and the top of the first fret.

We then sand the bottom of the nut down until the entire piece is the correct height, then we glue it down. Next we use files and sandpaper to bring the ends flush with the neck and shape the front of the nut.

It's a lot easier to watch the video, so keep you eyes on the Workshop Blog at: Guitar Designer's Workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
        Hi Jol - Thanks for all the great years of guitars. I have been a Hamer Fan since '76 and a Hamer owner since '82, a '79 Standard.
        My Standard was owned by Dave Hlubek. Any cool recollections of working with him and how many of the Confedrate Flag Standards do you recall making for them?

I have other questions but I got only a minute here at work. Look forawrd to reading the thread at home tonight after work.

THANKS AGAIN For Stopping In.
        I remember Dave's guitars pretty well. I think we made two of those flag guitars. Dave was a great guy to work with, but he could get pretty rowdy when we got to partyin'. The whole rock-star thing kinda got them off course and ruined it for them, but Dave would do anything for you if he liked you. He turned a lot of southern rock bands on to Hamer too.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
          Jol, it's good to know that you're into bass as well.

With all respect to well-regarded makers like yourself, Alembic, Spector, Pedulla and so on, would you say that Fender got it right with the 2nd-gen P and the vol-vol-tone Jazz, or are there still some advances to make in the field?

Also, to echo the above questions, what do you think of environmentally-responsible woods like teak or bamboo laminate for instrument making?
          Sorry, I think I only answered the first part of your question before.

Builders will always keep trying different woods and use what is available to them. I don't think that guitar tone woods are limited to just mahogany, maple, rosewood and so on...

In our segment, we're making a certain kind of article that goes beyond just sound, so in a way we're not bound to those woods, but in a premium priced guitar there are certain expectations, and rarity is one of them.

Comment

I know you answered some Cheap Trick questions earlier but with all the guitars you have built for them over the years do you have a favorite?

I remember Johnny Ramone using a Sunburst for a while and even had an ad with Johnny playing one, any good stories about him?

Oh yeah here is my partner in crime with his 80's Custom Shop Hamer, it is still great guitar!

Last edited by Wattage; 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by fkennjr View Post
              Is there anything, that when you look back on, you think, maybe that wasn't such a good idea?
              Yes.

If I mention them the shred guys will flame me mercilessly.

JUST KIDDING GUYS.

At the risk of sounding all touchy-feely-groovy, I think everything can be a positive learning experience even if it's later dubbed a "bad" idea by some. It does however, depend upon what your goals are. I know a lot of what I know by trying and failing, then trying something different. I encourage all our guys to try stuff (not at the expense of the customer) and learn from their experiences.

But sometimes, passing on that Apple stock in '85 seems like a bad choice.

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
                While we are here, i may aswell ask you to throw your hat into the ring of the never ending poly vs nitro debate. Do you think one has tonal advantages and if so, are they outweighed by the practical aspects of applying one or the other?
                Oh man, that's a barrel full of snakes!

Nitro is nice, but I've played urethane guitars that kicked ass. I prefer thin coats of post-cat lacquer hybrids. There are a few out there including one we helped formulate with McFadden. We've pioneered thin, flat finishes that shine like a ton of poly, but have a warmth like pure nitro. I actually prefer a slightly duller look for my personal guitars and we make thenm on request, such as this Talladega for Jon Herington and this Monaco for Keb' Mo'.

Comment

• Re: Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Jol
                  thanks again for everything - this was terrific
                  i just checked out the herrington clip on your blog
                  OMG that was SERIOUSLY HAPPENIN (any steely dan fans MUST get over there to check it, STAT!) ... the tone was DRIPPING on that thing even through crummy computer speakers of compressed webvideo!

can you get jon to tab those babylon sisters and josie intro grips for us?

peace to you
                  t4d

ps - evan, good on ya for another excellent episode in the new series - blessings, friend
                  Last edited by tone4days; 09-09-2009, 05:33 PM.
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                    this was terrific

another excellent episode in the new series
                    I have to agree with you. Thanks to everyone who participated. Especially Jol.

Newking70 won the contest. PM sent.
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Hi Jol

A couple of years ago, I bought a Studio Custom (shipped from a USA music store down here to Australia). I believe it had a pair of SD 59 pickups, but at the time i was reading everything i could about Hamer, and i got the impression that the pickups were slightly 'tweaked' for use in your guitars. I asked the question here and the most of the replies seemed to indicate that the pickups were not tweaked versions but the stock version any of us would get if we went to the store and bought SD 59 pickups.

So....is it possible for you to clarify the matter?

much thanks either way, this has been a very informative thread that ii know is very much appreciated by all the members.

P.S. Ever do anything with Les Paul (the man)?
                      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                        I know you answered some Cheap Trick questions earlier but with all the guitars you have built for them over the years do you have a favorite?

I remember Johnny Ramone using a Sunburst for a while and even had an ad with Johnny playing one, any good stories about him?

Oh yeah here is my partner in crime with his 80's Custom Shop Hamer, it is still great guitar!

Nice photo! Love the FB.

The checkerboard one is a standout for me... it's an iconic guitar now. But this one is close to perfection in another way:

The Ramones guitar:

Here's a story about Johnny Ramone's guitar. When we were building it, Johnny's main concern was that it be as light as possible. So to do that, we picked out light wood, I made an aluminum bridge instead of brass, and I gutted the neck pickup to reduce weight because Johnny never used the neck pickup. I went to a show when they played Northwestern University's student union! and stood with Johnny on stage during the sound check. He insisted that I play his guitar in order to hear what he was hearing onstage. I knew their songs, so I launched into Blitzkreig Bop and the band just went with me. One of the most surreal experiences of my life... playing with the Ramones while Johnny watched and smiled. The guy was a prince...

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                          Hi Jol

A couple of years ago, I bought a Studio Custom (shipped from a USA music store down here to Australia). I believe it had a pair of SD 59 pickups, but at the time i was reading everything i could about Hamer, and i got the impression that the pickups were slightly 'tweaked' for use in your guitars. I asked the question here and the most of the replies seemed to indicate that the pickups were not tweaked versions but the stock version any of us would get if we went to the store and bought SD 59 pickups.

So....is it possible for you to clarify the matter?

much thanks either way, this has been a very informative thread that ii know is very much appreciated by all the members.

P.S. Ever do anything with Les Paul (the man)?
                          There are a few pickups over the years that we've tweaked with Dimarzio and others, but with Seymour its been easy to find what I want because of the range of pickups that are available. Occasionally we'll specify something or work on a project like the Double D, or Phat Cat to get exactly what we need.

I got to spend some time with Les Paul at his home years ago. The guy was a first-class joker and an amazing musician. His thing was to try to see how much BS he could get away with on you until you had the balls to call him on it. Then he'd just laugh and start all over again. If you fell for the Les Paul Legend stuff, he'd snow you under.

Comment

Jol just called me and said, "Can I go home now?" And I said yes.

Thanks again Jol. You really outdid yourself.
                            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jol Dantzig View Post
                              Once again Keeper, I love all those old designs... they were a lot of fun to do. I think the Washburn resemblance thing is a little overblown. A lot of guitar designs back then were all coming from the same philosophy and background as we were all making strats with humbuckers and trems. There was a lot of cross-pollenization that just came from us all being about the same age and making guitars for the same market. Kinda when all the bands of an era sound similar., so I wouldn't say anybody at Washburn ripped anybody off. I actually went to high school with Greg Bennett and Dean Zelinsky was a roadie for my band, so we all were coming from a similar place. As for making the Cali again... we'll see. We have an import model, and it's not very popular. Our shop rate is at a point that any guitar we build starts at around $4000, so if there's a reason to build $5-7000 Calis, you never know.

Ill buy one of the Import Calis! I just havent Yet because I cant play one first and Im leary of the imports based on experience with some in the past.
                              I think that is the only reason they arent more popular.. Only on ebay.. People need to see them to lust for them!!.
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks for sharing your time with us, Jol. I know you've probably moved on to real work (or home time), though I was wondering if you've considered doing a Tally with a swamp ash body?
                                Originally posted by 56jnr
                                I`m told that fitting fossilized walrus ivory bridge pins gives you"toasted wheat underpinnings"to your tone. Sounds more like the bread department of Tesco`s to me!

Comment

Working...
                                X