X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Hi Jol,

I'm a huge fan of Hamer guitars even though I don't own any. I particularly like some in the import line as well.

Out of all of the instruments that have been made, which model is your favorite out of all of them?

How many guitars have been made for Rick Nielsen?

When building, are there certain woods that you just would not use at all or is there experimentation going on to see if something sounds good that hasn't been done before?

Thank you for your time.

Erik

Comment

What (if anything) did you have to take out of the 8 knob Quad when you dropped 4 of the knobs? Was that the pan control? Or did you use concentric pots or something to leave that possibility in there?

Comment

Jol,

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Who's idea or decision was to to venture into the "superstrat" market with artist like Vernon Reid and Steve Stevens?

Are you happy with the designs from that time (eg: Centuara)?

Could you see Hamer getting back into that market with something more along the lines of what Suhr offers (high end superstrat)?
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Hello and thanks for taking the time to do this.

At one time I had a custom left handed version of the Standard Custom it was by far the sweetest guitar I have ever played, and am sad to say I no longer have it, I am trying to get it back from the guy I sold it too.

The neck had the best fret work I have ever seen, what steps do you think are necessary to have a fret job stand out from the average?
          And, were differnt neck profiles made depending on the guitar?

Comment

Welcome Jol! It is a great treat to have you here!

I just have to say that I love hearing Jimmy Olander of Diamond Rio play his assortment of Hamer guitars. I had no idea he was such a Hamer lover. I saw him live several months ago and the tone that he gets from his Monaco III gives me chills up my spine.

Does Hamer have a working relationship with Jimmy or does he just happen to have a whole stack of Hamer guitar when he plays live?
            Last edited by B Bent; 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM.
            I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Jol,

1. I'm currently working on restoring an '85 Phantom A-7
              http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=30842
              I'm trying to set it up as Glenn Tipton did with the active EMG in the bridge. I have the original Roland schematics but haven't yet figured out how to integrate an active pickup into that system. Did you guys wire Glenn's A-7 at your factory with the EMG or was that done later on by his guitar tech? Just wondering how you did it if you guys did the install.

2. Do you recall what pickups you were installing for Glenn and K.K. over the years?

3. This may be a sore subject (and I'm not trying to bust your chops), but what happened to the new custom guitar you guys were building for Glenn that you featured on your blog? I was dying to see some photos of the finished guitar. That finger board was awesome with the black pearl inlays. Just wanted to see it all together.

Thanks

Comment

Hi, Jol. Thanks for joining us today. I'm a long-time Hamer lover (if not owner). I remember the very first Hamer ads in the back of GP - just a couple column-inches, a black-and-white photo of some weird geeky-looking guy, making a funny face and posing all bunched-up, with a fancy Explorer-shaped instrument. The backdrop said CheapTrickCheapTrickCheapTrick, with no other explanation. I remember thinking, "What the heck is a Cheap Trick?" Hamer and the band have come a long way since then.

I have hanging over my desk a page I saved from the Hamer calendar a couple years ago - it shows what is in my book one of the coolest guitars of all time, a sunburst Standard with three Firebird pickups. Whose idea was that guitar?

Along with it, lurking off to one side, there is what appears to be a vintage Vox AC30. What is your favorite amp? Do you anticipate ever leveraging the Hamer name and getting into amplifiers, as PRS did recently?
                Last edited by Rich_S; 09-09-2009, 09:30 AM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Hi Jol.

I was introduced to Hamer by picking up a used '81 Cruisebass that I ablosute adore. The ergonomics are simply the pinnacle.

Love the attention to detail throughout.

Thanks for the great insturments.

Any future bass plans?

Comment

Hi Jol!
                    I add my thanks to you for your time in doing this as well as pursuing your passion for all of our benefit. I really appreciate your comments on the most underrated tool in the shop!
                    I have just a few questions for you:
                    1. Is there more myth than substance to the "hand wiring" of pick-ups?
                    2. Do you have a preference for certain strings on your guitars vs. others?
                    3. How much body is necessary to provide a solid resonant base in an electric?

Thanks again!

Comment

Jol,

My main guitar is a 2006 Hamer Newport Pro (jazzburst finish) with SD Seth Lover pickups. I am very happy with the tone of the guitar. Why were the SD Seth Lovers chosen for this guitar? Have you done any Newports wired with coil tapping capability? What pick-ups would you recommend for this?

Thanks!

J

Comment

Mr. Dantzig,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking time to come and answer our questions, up to now, this has been a very interesting and informative read.

I have a very basic question, but I always like to ask it to get some perspective.

If I was to ask you to recommend me a guitar that was to be my main instrument, knowing nothing about my particular style and taste in guitars, what would you suggest within your instrument line? Why would this instrument be your recommendation?

Thanks,
                        Phil
                        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Jol,
                          First, it's truly an honor! I've lusted for Hamers since I was a teenager and couldnt afford any. My current dream guitar that I am going to treat myself to when my chops are more proficient, is a Hamer Standard with a black quilt top. (Im also very tempted by a blue stain they have at one of the online dealers!) To me, that is the Grail!
                          My first question: That certain online dealer sells a Standard model that is tone chambered. How does this alter the tone? And do you believe it is an improvement to the tone? I dont care for the chambered bodies that Ive played of the LPs, but havent been able to play the Standards. Is the chambering going to become a standard design feature?

The Standard is my favorite shape Ever, so naturally, I always liked the Blitz too. Are there any plans to reintroduce some of the 80s models back, with the Boomerang inlays and pointed headstock? Californian, etc.. I know the Californian and Scarab are avail as imports again. I would love to add some of those superstrat shapes to my collection as my 5 kids get older and I have funding to purchase the nicer guitars.

Speaking of the imports, how involved is Hamer in the import line? No offense, but I was less than impressed by some of the Slammer and low end models a few years ago. So Im leary of going after the Import Cali or Scarabs since I cant play them first.

I have always marveled at the quality and innovation of Hamer and once personally played (attempted) a 12 string bass. Was really a work of art.

I guess it is good you and Rick N ran out of beer on the 5 neck or he would have ended up with a wrecked back!!

What is next for Hamer?

I thank you for your time! All the best for continued success! And PLEASE don't discontinue the Standard!!!
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

What would you say is the most common mistake you have seen people making when selecting, modding, or setting up their gear?

Or, put another way, if there is one piece of information that you could impart to to people in relation to their equipment, what would it be.

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            "If I wasn’t a musician, I’d probably play the drums." - Clay Cook

Comment

Hamers have been my favorite brand ever since I got my first one in 1999!

Anyway, if it's possible to do without burning too many bridges, could you let me know who your favorite Hamer player is either from a music perspective or just because you like hanging out with them, etc...?

Thanks for stopping in Jol!

-Austin
                              "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

Boomerang Inlays - that's a Hamer original.

Why have they been discontinued? I have tried unsuccessfully to order a Standard, Vector and a Watson over the last 18 months. Was told no each time. Not long ago Rockateria shipped a new Standard with the Boomerang inlay.

So Jol, please bring them back.

Comment

Working...
                                X