X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Jol,

I'd known about Hamers for years, but my introduction was in 01 (9/11 related, long story). Picked up a used Special FM which played and sounded like nothing I'd ever touched before. Have been hooked since. Custom ordered my main player in 04; Studio Custom (bound and victoried), all korina, chambered.

A couple of Qs. Have you have thought of making a slightly smaller version of the Standard on a regular basis? Just love the shape, sound, and comfort, but having the frets near the nut closer in would be a world of difference. Yeah, retooling is expensive, but had to ask, lol.

Also, ever thought of reviving something else in the flat-top vein? Not a redo of the Eclipse, Firebird, TLE, Special, etc, but a new twist. Sonically, there is just something about a flat slab that is different (and appealing).

Comment

Hi Jol!! Super nice of you to donate your precious time for us!!

1. What guitar(s) inspired you to build because you knew you could do a better job?

2. What guitar(s) inspired you to build because you hoped to be able to make a guitar as well one day?

3. The idea of cutting a neck blank in half and inverting one side so the twisting force is evened out is brilliant. Did you come up with that one? Either way, kudos for implementing it.

-Tom
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

hi jol, just a word of appreciation and thanks for engaging with your customers in such a cool way. i look forward to reading your responses and i'll be sure to check out more hamers in future

Comment

Jol --- I'd like to take a moment to thank you for the draw that you've brought --- which has apparently resulted in a surge in membership!

To all those posting for the first time, thanks for stopping in; we hope you take a look around and enjoy the forum. We hope you stick around to swap information about pickups, guitars, amplifiers, effects, recording, and all things music!

Cheers,
          Hunter
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

How do you guys come up with new models? Is there generally a pretty specific plan which you follow, or do you kind of let a prototype form from a rough idea?

Comment

Man... I can barely keep up with this! My friend Chris Flemming (Fender Gretsch/Guild custom shop) is here visiting and we got to chatting and looking at stuff... but I'll try to keep pace here! Sorry if I forget to acknowledge every question or person... I'll do my best.

ErikH, The Newport Pro was a calculated step from the original Newport (which was more of a Rockabilly guitar) towards the Improv, which is a more pure jazz guitar. The Seths just seemed to work in that configuration with the trapeze tailpiece, to give the guitar that ol'-skool semi hollow sound. In the end guys, it's all about finding the pickup that brings out the character that's inherent in the guitar.

Years ago, I worked with the amazing Don Gehman, a producer whose resume is deep and wide. At one point we were testing some new tube mics in the studio for a manufacturer. We set up the new mics next to Don's collection of vintage tube mics, some of which were worth tens of thousands of dollars. As we had a singer (in this case Tommy Shaw) go from mic to mic I tried to determine which one sounded "best". I had a hard time deciding, so I asked Don what he looked for. More bass? More presence? More warmth?

Don just said something like, "pick the one that makes Tommy sound like Tommy." I asked him to clarify, to which he responded, "well, you know Tommy's voice right? Yo'u'd recognize him on the phone if he just said hello. That's because his voice is unique, so the best mic is the one that makes him sound most like himself."

The point I learned, can be applied to pickups and guitars. Pick the one that makes the guitar sound most like itself. When you find it, it will just open up the guitar to do what it does best. Sometimes you can try to bend an instrument to be something it isn't, but that's usually a recipe for failure.

That's why we audition every new design with a boatload of pickups before picking the ones we like. The guitar will tell you the truth if you're willing to hear it.

Comment

+1 to what ImmortalSix said.

Jol, thanks for taking time out of your day to answer our questions.

What kind of advice would you give to someone who wants to get into in the world of lutherie (repair work,custom guitars, etc.)?

Do you think they are better off going to some school, learning from a pro (who is willing to teach), or are you better off learning on your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Jol Dantzig View Post
                  Man... I can barely keep up with this! My friend Chris Flemming (Fender Gretsch/Guild custom shop) is here visiting and we got to chatting and looking at stuff... but I'll try to keep pace here! Sorry if I forget to acknowledge every question or person... I'll do my best.

ErikH, The Newport Pro was a calculated step from the original Newport (which was more of a Rockabilly guitar) towards the Improv, which is a more pure jazz guitar. The Seths just seemed to work in that configuration with the trapeze tailpiece, to give the guitar that ol'-skool semi hollow sound. In the end guys, it's all about finding the pickup that brings out the character that's inherent in the guitar.

Years ago, I worked with the amazing Don Gehman, a producer whose resume is deep and wide. At one point we were testing some new tube mics in the studio for a manufacturer. We set up the new mics next to Don's collection of vintage tube mics, some of which were worth tens of thousands of dollars. As we had a singer (in this case Tommy Shaw) go from mic to mic I tried to determine which one sounded "best". I had a hard time deciding, so I asked Don what he looked for. More bass? More presence? More warmth?

Don just said something like, "pick the one that makes Tommy sound like Tommy." I asked him to clarify, to which he responded, "well, you know Tommy's voice right? Yo'u'd recognize him on the phone if he just said hello. That's because his voice is unique, so the best mic is the one that makes him sound most like himself."

The point I learned, can be applied to pickups and guitars. Pick the one that makes the guitar sound most like itself. When you find it, it will just open up the guitar to do what it does best. Sometimes you can try to bend an instrument to be something it isn't, but that's usually a recipe for failure.

That's why we audition every new design with a boatload of pickups before picking the ones we like. The guitar will tell you the truth if you're willing to hear it.
                  Thank you for sharing that. Very insightful.

Comment

What changes have you noticed since FMIC bought out Kaman?
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Dear Jol, i've never really had much money to invest in guitar repair. If something was wrong I always had to learn to fix it, or live with it. From someone who is pulling his hair out due to stress, could you maybe explain some home-style methods of shaping and slotting a nut on a guitar. It would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

-=Stale=-

Comment

Originally posted by StalePretzel View Post
                        Dear Jol, i've never really had much money to invest in guitar repair. If something was wrong I always had to learn to fix it, or live with it. From someone who is pulling his hair out due to stress, could you maybe explain some home-style methods of shaping and slotting a nut on a guitar. It would be very helpful. Thank you very much.

-=Stale=-

done for fellow bros on the forum, and can be completed with simple household items.

Of course you won't get amazing professional results, but you'll get a lot better than "ok".
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Hi Jol - Thanks for all the great years of guitars. I have been a Hamer Fan since '76 and a Hamer owner since '82, a '79 Standard.
                          My Standard was owned by Dave Hlubek. Any cool recollections of working with him and how many of the Confedrate Flag Standards do you recall making for them?

I have other questions but I got only a minute here at work. Look forawrd to reading the thread at home tonight after work.

THANKS AGAIN For Stopping In.
                          Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                          Guitar to sound output:
                          Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                            Hi Jol!! Super nice of you to donate your precious time for us!!

1. What guitar(s) inspired you to build because you knew you could do a better job?

2. What guitar(s) inspired you to build because you hoped to be able to make a guitar as well one day?

3. The idea of cutting a neck blank in half and inverting one side so the twisting force is evened out is brilliant. Did you come up with that one? Either way, kudos for implementing it.

-Tom
                            It seems hard to believe today that when we started out, there were no "custom" or boutique shops as we know them today. The large manufacturers were the only real choices, and they had grown to the point where their products were lacking quality. We started as a vintage guitar shop that did restorations too, so in effect, everything we did was to improve upon what was available at the time. Our first guitars were an alternative to a vintage guitar, and an upgrade from a mass produced guitar. It's still the same today.

Yes, the "stressed neck" system is something that grew from my love of architecture, it's a builder's trick to get natural forces to help you. We've been building that way since 1980.

Comment

Jol,

Hi. Just wanted to thank you for all the great info. and candid responses. (Great questions too, guys)

I've been a huge fan of Hamer guitars for quite a while. I also have one of the 1st two prototypes for the Sunburst Archtop model (confirmed by Kim Keller a number of years back). It's a '91 I believe, and is all mahogany, with a mahogany top instead of the usual maple cap. Sounds absolutely incredible.

Thanks again,

Jeff
                              "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                                Mr. Dantzig,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking time to come and answer our questions, up to now, this has been a very interesting and informative read.

I have a very basic question, but I always like to ask it to get some perspective.

If I was to ask you to recommend me a guitar that was to be my main instrument, knowing nothing about my particular style and taste in guitars, what would you suggest within your instrument line? Why would this instrument be your recommendation?

Thanks,
                                Phil
                                This is a hypothetical case that runs against my nature. There is no one perfect guitar, and everyone's needs are somewhat different. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose for you, I would probably say the Talladega, because it really covers a lot of ground sonically, and it's very very musical when played clean but it stands up to a lot of distortion too. If you've ever heard the Greg V soundclips, they prove my point. Sound clips here

Comment

Working...
                                X