X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

Originally posted by Steve Haynie View Post
    Hello, Jol.

I have been elected to ask this question. Is there any chance of ever seeing an official Hamer checkerboard strap again? The originals have gotten extremely expensive if you can find them for sale.
    Steve, I like those checked straps.

Here's the first one on my 1960 sunburst before I gave it to Rick Nielsen in 1974.

We're not in the accessory business, so I'm not the person to ask about these. I'm sure that somebody can make them.

Comment

Anytime I get to talk to a person who's known for building amps, I'm always interested to see which guitars and pickups they use with them.

So my question to you, being known as a guitar builder, is what amps are in your collection, and which amps are you particularly fond of?
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Jol,

Here's a reason to build the Cali again

Now what about those Boomers!

Comment

If you're still checking... did you see my question?

Comment

Thanks for answering my question.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy
              This was on the first page and I think it also fell through the cracks. I think it might have been asked loosely through the other posts but here it is.

How does it feel to have a part in molding the sound of Rock and Roll?

What were some of your favorite custom guitars you made for someone famous?

What is your personal favorite tonewoods for your guitar... If you had unlimited access to money/material and had a perfect clone of yourself to build it (so you don't have to spend time doing it yourself)? What fret size, fret number, pickups etc... to sum it up what's your perfect dream guitar that you would build for yourself.
              I've lived quite a satisfying dream, getting to work with creative people in our shop and great artists who have used our instruments to make amazing music. It still stops me in my tracks when I see someone playing something I've designed and we've made. The thrill is not gone.

I liked the Andy Summers projects a lot. The Phantom A5 and A7, the harp guitar:

The Jimmy Scott and Pete Farndon era Pretenders guitars were satisfying too. Ilove working with Keb' Mo' who is a genuine and brilliant artist.

I got goose-bumps hearing Elliot Easton play the solo to "My Best Friend's Girl" in a stadium, and Sammy Hagar put a red Scarab on his album cover.

I watched Sting play his Cruisebass on stage in dozens of venues.

Lately, I've worked with Jon Herington who is an amazing guitarist who plays with Steely Dan. To hear Jon play those Dan tunes on one of our guitars is a thrill.

Nope, the thrill ain't gone yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
                I'm afraid I don't have any thought-provoking questions for you; I just wanted to say I've been reading your excellent blog and have gained a lot of respect for you. I really appreciate your outlook in life and the results it garners. It's nice to know there's someone out there who's still doing things the right way. I also love it when you post pics of weather and animals and other things that make me want to move up there immediately and apply for a job with you.

Actually, I do have a question:

There's something about the guitars you guys make that transforms them into something greater than the sum of their parts, something with "soul", a "real guitar". Is this something you consciously do, and what would you say contributes the most to this result?
                You've really articulated the whole essence of what we strive for. Art carries its beauty in an unconscious way that make it seem easier than it is to do. The only way I know how to do that is to relax and have fun with it, but don't take the easy way out either. Yes it's a conscious goal, but in the act of doing it we rely upon years of training to know what to leave out. It's a lot like playing guitar really. If you try too hard, it just comes off all teenage and akward.

Comment

Originally posted by Devnor View Post
                  Jol,

OK OK OK. Boomerang inlays. I designed them, I know all about them. I have a set on the mantle over my fireplace!

I cannot tell you how clever I though they were. I also cannot count how many people told me they got rid of their boomerang guitars because they couldn't figure out where they were on the fretboard when they played them.

I though it was simple... you play the fret that the inlay crosses. I lost that battle every stinkin' time. Ok, maybe someday I'll make ones that don't cross the fret, but that just RUINS it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Anytime I get to talk to a person who's known for building amps, I'm always interested to see which guitars and pickups they use with them.

So my question to you, being known as a guitar builder, is what amps are in your collection, and which amps are you particularly fond of?
                    This is what I want to know!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Plenty more where that came from Jol. We want Boomers and across the frets please. Would look silly any other way. You didnt answer the question but I think you heard me! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Devnor View Post
                        Jol,

OMG That is AMAZING!!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics Jol! So were you resposible for Rick Nielsons checker board fetish??

Evan and the Duncan family, This has been an event of a lifetime! Thank you !!

Good questions Bros and Sis'! Many asked what didnt think to..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I say you take their complaints and make one GIANT boomerang inlay that goes from the first to the last fret.

Comment

Originally posted by StalePretzel View Post
                            I say you take their complaints and make one GIANT boomerang inlay that goes from the first to the last fret.
                            Now THAT's my kind of solution!

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                              Jol,

I'd known about Hamers for years, but my introduction was in 01 (9/11 related, long story). Picked up a used Special FM which played and sounded like nothing I'd ever touched before. Have been hooked since. Custom ordered my main player in 04; Studio Custom (bound and victoried), all korina, chambered.

A couple of Qs. Have you have thought of making a slightly smaller version of the Standard on a regular basis? Just love the shape, sound, and comfort, but having the frets near the nut closer in would be a world of difference. Yeah, retooling is expensive, but had to ask, lol.

Also, ever thought of reviving something else in the flat-top vein? Not a redo of the Eclipse, Firebird, TLE, Special, etc, but a new twist. Sonically, there is just something about a flat slab that is different (and appealing).
                              Hi Gearhead, that's an interesting idea. I know what you mean about the way the neck sticks out to the left and you really have to reach for that first position. I don't think that the problem gets solved by making the body smaller though. The point at which the neck and body meet would still be about the same relative to the strap button position. On the other hand, if you were to set the neck into the body further your goal would be achieved. Of course part of the beauty of the design is the access to the high frets (for those who are not interested in making any money playing guitar).

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
                                What changes have you noticed since FMIC bought out Kaman?
                                We get Fender shirts at employee pricing.

For the most part Fender has only added to our resource base with interaction from people who really know their stuff.

Actually, I've known so many of the Fender people from years and years in the industry that when I go to the custom shop, walk in the factory or even go to the NAMM show, it's like old home week. The biggest change for me is that now I'm not a "visitor".

Inside Hamer, there hasn't been any change, we're still doing things the way we do them and if anything, people are curious about what we do. They realize that there's always something to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X