banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those curious about what a 1986 Alnico II Pro humbucker looks like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those curious about what a 1986 Alnico II Pro humbucker looks like...

Here are a few examples.

Also, here is a copy/paste from a post I made on the subject last year:

From what I know, the first Duncan humbuckers (very late '70s through early '80s) had no logo at all pressed into the bottom of the metal baseplate (so it is a totally plain baseplate). The typeface/font on the sticker is sort of crude looking (like a typewriter did it, as opposed to a computer/laser printer), with no winder initial as the last character.

Starting somewhere in the mid '80s (I'm guessing possibly around the '83 or '84 time frame? I'm not 100% sure of the dates - I'd really love to nail this down - but I'm pretty sure we're talking '85 at the latest), there was a "large" "Seymour Duncan Pickups" logo (the big "S" itself is about 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch) pressed into the bottom of the metal baseplate (but does *not* say "Made in America" under that), sticker has the crude typeface/font where usually none of the letters line up precisely, last character on sticker represents winder's initial. Regarding *humbuckers* in this specific era (with these exact physical characteristics), I have seen "J" (who is confirmed as Maricela Juarez, also known as MJ), and I have also seen "L" (possibly Lidia Daniel, according question #131 on Seymour's Q&A on the Seymour Duncan webpage). Anyone seen any other initials on humbuckers with these exact characteristics (other than J or L)? One other characteristic worth mentioning that I have noticed is that the corners/edges of the black tape surrounding the coils/bobbins always overlap onto the bottom of the baseplate. I have several examples of Alnico II Pro humbuckers from this era, and the sticker (which seems to be always placed right over the Duncan logo) has slightly rounded corners and measures around 1 1/4 inches by about 3/8 of an inch, and the paper is slightly darkened to the color of masking tape (as opposed to pure, bright white). Also, the Alnico II Pro humbuckers I own from this era have the vintage-style braided-shield leads, as opposed to the 4-conductor wire which I believe came later.

Finally, starting somewhere in the later '80s (again, I'd like to nail this down, but I'm thinking possibly somewhere in the '86 or '87 time frame?), one of the most obvious changes is that there was a "small" Seymour Duncan logo pressed into the bottom of the metal baseplate with "Made In America" right under that, sticker still has the crude typeface/font where usually none of the letters line up precisely, last character on sticker represents winder's initial.

Re: For those curious about what a 1986 Alnico II Pro humbucker looks like...

That's some good info, nice post.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

However vintage they may be, I'd never use them simply for the single-conductor wiring. I only use 4-conductor wiring, much more versatile.
        Wes Montgomery is the cat.

New quote finally:
        "You can check the inherent resonance of an acoustic guitar by farting into the soundhole."
        -sosomething

Comment

We have up to now only a very rough timeline! In this it should be made after 1983 up to 1987

This are my best guesses:

1. no backlogo, small tag without winder from late 70 up to 1981
          2. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from 1981 to 1983
          3. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder from at least 1983 to 1987
          4. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder from 1987 to 2002
          5. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
          6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to now

When did the silkscreen "Seymour Duncan" on the coil come up?
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

As far as Slash's #1 recording guitar goes (his Derrig Les Paul replica, built somewhere in the late '85 to early/mid '86 time frame - the one that will be the subject of the next Gibson Slash Signature model), these few pictures are basically exactly what I would expect his pickups to look like on the bottoms.

I would expect them to read APH1BJ (for the bridge pickup - the reverse zebra) and APH1NJ (for the neck pickup - the zebra). This "J" would indicate that Maricela Juarez was the winder. Maricela Juarez (you can hang your top hat on that one).

For some reason, on the neck examples from back then, the ink on the sticker seems to fade faster than the bridge ones - so it might be a little harder to read the neck label than the bridge label. But most bridge labels are still clear enough and easy to read today.

It's interesting to me, most serious Slash fans who know electric guitars can probably tell you that Slash's #1 Derrig has Alnico II Pros, but there are a lot more interesting little details to discover when you start looking into that 1986 time period specifically.

The first official appearance of the Alnico II Pro humbucker in Seymour Duncan advertising was on the "How to Pick a Pickup" catalog, copyright 1986, featuring a picture of Jeff Beck and Seymour on the one full side of the catalog when unfolded.

Comment

a bit OT, but back then slash used the jcm 900 which is said to have a "cold" or "lifeless" tone as well as not sounding "tubey".

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Note View Post
                a bit OT, but back then slash used the jcm 900 which is said to have a "cold" or "lifeless" tone as well as not sounding "tubey".
                Is this true ?
                I never knew this, nor did he state that in his Biog !

James
                Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Gibson SG Special w. SD A2P's ->pedal board ->Bassman

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  We have up to now only a very rough timeline! In this it should be made after 1983 up to 1987

This are my best guesses:

1. no backlogo, small tag without winder from late 70 up to 1981
                  2. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from 1981 to 1983
                  3. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder from at least 1983 to 1987
                  4. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder from 1987 to 2002
                  5. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
                  6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to now

When did the silkscreen "Seymour Duncan" on the coil come up?
                  Great post and info guys . . . many thanx !

James
                  Last edited by SlowGroove; 09-12-2009, 02:52 PM.
                  Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Comment

... back *when*? The JCM900 wasn't introduced yet when GnR cut AFD... and that album was recorded with a 100w Marshall plexi Tremolo head (SiR #39) modified by Tim Casswell. Club days... Slash was using Rissons... and I wouldn't describe those amps as sounding "cold, lifeless and and non-tubey"...
                    Last edited by YHWH; 09-13-2009, 12:04 PM.
                    Originally posted by XSSIVE
                    2011 twittered, it wants the 80's guitar playing talent back.
                    Originally posted by formula73

@YHWH: she's not worn out, just broken IN.

Comment

Wow, they came with one mounting screw back then?

And they had a Cable address? Like, Telegram? Far out
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by El CHupacabra View Post
                        However vintage they may be, I'd never use them simply for the single-conductor wiring. I only use 4-conductor wiring, much more versatile.
                        then you're missing out- single conductors can be changed out for 4 conductors very quickly and easily. all you gotta do is unscrew the baseplate, take out the single conductor, solder in the 4, tape it up, bolt it back together, and you're set. i've probably done it to at least 5 times and it isn't that hard.
                        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by YHWH View Post
                          ... back *when*? The JCM900 wasn't introduced yet when GnR cut AFD... and that album was recorded with a 100w Marshall plexi Tremolo head (SiR #39) modified by Tim Casswell.
                          That is what i thought too !

James

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Interesting the way the pups were packeged back then compared to today.
                            Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
                            Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
                            Originally posted by Funkfingers
                            Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
                            Originally posted by Funkfingers
                            You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

I believe the baseplate might have been redesigned in December 1986. This might have been when the bottom baseplate logo was changed to the smaller logo with "Made in America" under that.

Comment

Working...
                              X