banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

hello patrick, dave eichenberger here...thanks for doing this...

- will it ever be possible to send magnetic, midi and piezo to the computer via USB?
    - i know mixing guitar with technology is a hard sell to most guitarists (no need to sell me, i'm sold)...with giant companies like Roland and Gibson having a hard time with guitar technology products, how will iGuitar 'get the word out' on a grand scale?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just talked to Pat again. He's "clearing the deck" so that he can join us for some good discussion over the next few hours. Thanks for your patience.
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Patrick,

Thanks for taking time out for the foum!!

1. What one guitar made you want to build guitars by making you think to yourself "I can do a better job than that"?

2. What one guitar made you want to build guitars by making you think "I'd love to be able to make guitars this nice one day"?

-Tom
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Scottish, there is not really one single thing we did to break into the guitar market, it was a combination of a few key things. When we began in the early 90's, we did several things to try an distinguish ourselves from the fabulous competition such as PRS, Tom Anderson, Hamer, etc. We began with the MC/1 which blended the strength and sustain of advance composites with the beauty and tone of wood (with Duncans of course). We also wanted to create a headstock that would be unique, instantly recognizable but not too 'out there' and arrived at the 2+4 configuration with the sculpted wood natural wood signature. These basic design elements helped us capture peoples attention early on. - Another important point is that to break into any business you must have a solid business plan, proforma projections that are as close to reality as possible and enough cash to carry you through the inevitable ups and downs. - Yes, I am still very hands on and have built most of the first prototypes of all of our guitar models- I am also extremely hands on with customer service - people are usually surprised that I am on the phone taking care of customers, but that is the best way to stay in touch as you grow you business
          Patrick G. Cummings
          President
          iGuitar, Inc.
          www.iguitar.com
          [email protected]

Comment

Scottish, there is a link here which gives some more detail about our early history http://iguitar.com/aboutus.asp
            Patrick G. Cummings
            President
            iGuitar, Inc.
            www.iguitar.com
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Cummings View Post
              Scottish, there is a link here which gives some more detail about our early history http://iguitar.com/aboutus.asp
              Thanks Pat, i had already read that. Def a good read and lots of cool stuff on there.

Ive prob got one or 2 more questions but ill wait until others are answered since they will prob cover a lot of what im thinking.

Thanks again
              Originally posted by Empty Pockets
              yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

I'm pretty excited to see a more progressive luthier in our SD weekly series. I've got a couple of questions.

1. The first of your guitars I played years ago was a Korean model and its quality really shocked me and to see a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker and locking tuners and a Piezo in that price point was a first. Was it hard to find a Korean vendor with decent quality control to bring your guitars to lower price point without sacrificing the quality your company is known for?

2. How long have you worked with SD putting their pickups in your guitars? From day one or was it a gradual choice during R&D? Seems like you have been using duncans for some time.

3. Do you see the Iguitar technology evolving to benefit all players with all styles? Or does it take a certain type of player to really benefit from so many features and to accept such new technology?

4. What is your favorite Duncan pickup?

-Brian
                #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
                #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
                #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
                #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
                #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
                Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
                Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
                Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

Thanks for your time, I think the iGuitar is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a while, even though I've never gotten to test it out.

The idea of an iBass is awesome to me too, but I like more "classic" styled basses. Are we going to see any other models besides the i2000's?

Comment

Hi Patrick...

I see there's a lotta other questions stacked up here... mostly about the technology aspects... so I'll ask one about actual design!

Many years ago at a guitar show I played Elliott Randalls axe and it blew me away. Loved it. Had to have one and then played an MC1, realized what they cost & being a broke college student it just wasn't going to happen.

Anyway... one of the things that knocked me out was just how comfortable the instrument was to hold. Space age without being too far-out from the traditional stuff we're all used to.

So...

How did ya'll come up with the idea for the curved body?

Were there any previously scrapped designs before you arrived at the current radius?

Thanks!
                    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                    mixer|producer|recordist
                    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
                      Welcome to the forum!

How does your system prevent latency issues when recording multiple guitar parts?

Are there plans to introduce your own recording, amp modeling, etc software?

What guitar is your #1, the one that you just can't put down and always come back too?
                      Eric,
                      Our guitars feature individual a piezo pickups for each string, either RMC or Graphtech Ghost. Using a piezo to capture string information for conversion to midi has a quicker response than the externally mounted magnetic (GK type of) pickups and results in lower latency.

We have thought about creating our own software, amp modeling, software.,etc but there are many great solutions available already and the market is already quite crowded. Just like when we started our business,we thought about making our own pickups, but decided to go with the already esatblished and excellent pickup makers like Seymour Duncan.

It is very, very hard to answer the 'favorite guitar' question because it really depends on what type of music or song in that moment. I can reduce it to a few. My main and most versatile 'go to' guitar is an early C-90P.13 as shown here http://iguitar.com/CustomShop/custom.asp - it is HSH,
                      I can get a JAZZ jazz tone with a combination of the Neck hum and RMC piezo bridge, amazing "stratish flavors" by tapping the hums and combining with the singles and of course a screaming lead tone from the JB (through my Groove Tube Solo 75)

Neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan Alnico II:
                      Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Middle pickup is Seymour Duncan Alnico II single:
                      Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB:

The goal of the C-90 design was to give you the following '7 really cool and useable' sound combinations, most guitarists rarely use more than 3!

1 - Neck humbucker
                      2 - Neck humbucker split and middle (in the classic Stratty realm)
                      3- Neck humbucker split and Bridge hum split ( 2 singles - in the classic Tele realm )
                      4 - Bridge humbucker split and middle (the other classic Stratty realm)
                      5 - Bridge humbucker
                      1A - Neck and Bridge humbucker
                      2A - Neck humbucker split, middle and Bridge
                      The push/pull knob on the C-90P is not a coil tap, it 'adds' the bridge humbucker to the whatever the 5 way switch is doing.
                      (see enclosed pick up configuration sheet)

In Position 1A, the 5 way switch gives you the the neck humbucker, by pulling the push/pull knob it 'adds' the bridge humbucker.

In Position 2A, the 5 way switch give you the the neck humbucker automatically tapped as a single coil and the middle single together. Again, by pulling the push/pull knob it 'adds' the bridge humbucker so in 2A you get single, single, hum all three at the same time.

I also use this guitar in combination with a 13pin system (GR-33 and VGA-7 amp ) where there are limitless, limitless, creative tonal possibilities.

We have a number of artists that have adopted the mag/piezo combination. I showed this combo to Russ Freeman from the Rippingtons and it has become a signature tone for him. John Abercrombie has also adopted this mag/piezo combo and it can be heard on many of his recordings, John prefers the Graphtech. Burr Johnson, another amazing guitarist, adn Axon endorser also prefers the Graphtech system

Ray Memmel did the Universe inlay (with emphasis on MARS on the 12th fret

Other 'go to' guitars include:

DC/1 Serial #2
                      P-5 Mandolin Serial #1
                      Green iGuitar9.13 model - I used this at every major trade show, NAMM, Frankfurt, etc. from 2000 thru 2005 it is like and old friend.
                      Red iGuitar8.13. USB - my first USB model and a truly special guitar
                      and lastly a C-90P.USB - this is my working sample on our next generation of iGuitar.USB
                      Patrick G. Cummings
                      President
                      iGuitar, Inc.
                      www.iguitar.com
                      [email protected]

Comment

I have a question for you, Pat. Can you talk about the two patents you've recently been awarded? What do they cover?
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Which guitarists tone and feel really make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Pat
                            Just wanted to say thanks for inspiring me.
                            I'm in the process of building my own 13-pin/piezo guitar and your site helped in the decision making process.

One question; what is the likelihood of you guys doing an all-composite type guitar?

Thanks
                            MM
                            MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                            Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                              Which guitar is the favorite of your collection...your #1? (whether it's an iGuitar or not) Pics would be sweet!

When people think or say "iGuitar" what is the one thing you want them to think of first?

What's the best compliment you've ever received about your guitars?

thanks,
                              mike
                              Hoss, I just posted a lengthy reply and link about 'go to' guitars, which should answer your first question

I thought of the 'iGuitar' name back in 1998 and subsequently trademarked it. As we began to offer more technology in our guitars, such as piezo, 13pin and even 5 pin midi ( briefly ) I realized that to many guitarists, the word 'MIDI' carried some negative feel (mostly because they probably tried an early midi guitar setup in the 80's and did not like it)

So, with the iGuitar name, we wanted guitarists to think: a new, fun type of versatile guitar, connecting them to both hardware synths and the desktop music environment, either MAC or PC.

The best compliment that we continue to receive about our guitars is when it becomes their 'go to' guitar. As a small company, it is huge when a customer says "this is all I play, I sold my ______"
                              Patrick G. Cummings
                              President
                              iGuitar, Inc.
                              www.iguitar.com
                              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
                                Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this for us guys. There are a few of us here who are aspiring builders and repairmen (such as myself) and feel it's a great opportunity that we wouldn't otherwise have.

What got you started in building in the first place?

What sets iGuitar instruments apart from the rest save for the computer stuff?

When you were a smaller builder, what was the most overrated tool in your shop? Underrated?

Evan says you're a mando player, as am I. What's in your 8 string closet?

What advice would you give to the young builder to really push him on?

If you could go back in time to any one builders shop, who would it be?

What would you like to see next for iGuitar?

Is iGuitar user friendly for tech handicapped like myself?

I got started because my two main interests have always been music and electronics, I repaired my first guitar when I was 10 ( thank you Radio Shack ) and always wanted to know how things worked. I began to work on guitar and amp repairs for my guitar students and friends - later went to work for GIbson and then founded Brian Moore and finally iGuitar, Inc.

-----

The things that sets the iGuitar apart aside from the technology are the same unique design elements we use in our custom shop:

- Comfort: design elements such as the comfort contoured top, sculpted headstock

-Quality: it is manufactured in an ISO 9002 certified factory and then we add Sperel tuners and Seymour Duncan pickups

- Setup: every guitar is set up and inspected at out NY faciity. Each guitar goes though the same detailed check list as our custom shop guitars.

-----

Our most overrated tool: the cylindrical top cutter (glorified router)
                                Most underrated - the original MC1 output jack snake tool

-----

I have several mandos, my top instuments are my own P5 model

an old Gibson Style A, an old Flatiron built by Steve Carlson before he sold to Gibson and a Breedlove

----

My advice to a younger luthier would be to learn from the masters, do what you love to do, design and create and experiment. We all learn from our failed attempts, they are usually our best teachers.

----

If I could go back in time to a builders shop it would probably be Lloyd Loars shop where he created the early mandolin family instruments.

----

The next steps for iGuitar will included built in USB Midi, and a complete USB wireless system

----

Our iGuitar.USB is 'plug and play; it is veyr user friendly
                                I received two US Patents so far and they are all based on making the 'guitar-to-computer' experience EASY

See patents #7,241,948, & 7,563,977

Last edited by Patrick Cummings; 09-16-2009, 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
                                Patrick G. Cummings
                                President
                                iGuitar, Inc.
                                www.iguitar.com
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X