banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
    Which came first the iGuitar name or the iMac?
    They were conceived around the same time.
    Patrick G. Cummings
    President
    iGuitar, Inc.
    www.iguitar.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Cool video Patrick- you may want to edit some of the comments
      As far as the technology for education goes, I teach with a laptop, and use my C55 all the time hooked up to the computer (via midi interface) to send music home with students. So, I would probably be a good test for the USB thing.
      How does a small company deal with someone like Behringer who comes out with a USB guitar, or someone like Gibson, who promised the world with their hex interface (which I don't think ever really surfaced)?
      These are complex issues and will be resolve over time and over money
      Patrick G. Cummings
      President
      iGuitar, Inc.
      www.iguitar.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        That's really really cool. I could spend hours upon hours messing with that setup.
        And you should!
        Patrick G. Cummings
        President
        iGuitar, Inc.
        www.iguitar.com
        [email protected]

Comment

Re: Guest Luthier - Patrick Cummings of iGuitar (formerly Brian Moore Custom)

Hello from Paducah, KY!

Pat, it's great to see you carrying on the tradition of cutting-edge invention and creativity, as seen with Les Paul, Leo Fender, Seth Lover, not to mention our dear Mr. D.

Along with willeubanks (a fellow forum user), I would also be quite interested in an iBass. What I see as necessary would be a wide tonal versatility -- everything from smooth acoustic bass to roaring hard rock overdrive, with crisp slap and articulate fingerstyle along the way.

From what I understand of MIDI, sometimes it can be difficult for dynamics in pitch, attack and sustain to be accurately transferred into data. How does iGuitar succeed over previous technologies?
          sigpic
          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
          Originally posted by Lewguitar
          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
            That's really funny... because I remember "comfort" being a large part of the conversation we had about that instrument! At that point I had been playing the same Hamer for a few years and he had spent many years with that Strat... and we both seemed to agree that our respective instruments felt like home & anything else felt weird, but that MC1 was just right.

This was probably 1997 or therebouts...

At the time, I recall that there were some more 'traditional' instruments with alder or ash bodies, still with the curved top but there was like a H/S/S setup or something like that in the line. USA made.

Was that more challenging to build then a regular old Strat? Or about the same?

And where are the i2000's made? USA or overseas?
            ----
            We originally offered a few C-Series models in Alder and Ash
            ----
            To get the 'comfort contoured body' we have the extra step of putting a radius over the top of the body and then we glue up the maple top.
            ----
            As it says on the back of the headstock, the i2000 and iGuitar models are 'handcrafted' by our amazing factory in Seoul, Korea
            Patrick G. Cummings
            President
            iGuitar, Inc.
            www.iguitar.com
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              That's really really cool. I could spend hours upon hours messing with that setup.
              And you will, since you won the giveaway!
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                Thanks for participating in our Guest Luthier Series, Pat. And thanks for staying late to get all the questions answered.

Congrats to ErikH for winning the set up, pickups, and iGuitar upgrade kit. PM has been sent.

Also, thanks to all of you for participating in this cool series. We're going to take next week off because it's Business Planning Week for Seymour Duncan managers. But we'll be back in two weeks with another exciting guest (actually, guests - it'll be a two person tag team).
                Holy cow! I can't believe it. Thank you, Evan, Patrick and Seymour. Man, this is way cool. Now, it's a matter of deciding which guitar gets the goods.

Workin' on replying to Evan's PM.

Thanks again, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by darnright View Post
                  Hi Pat. Welcome to the forum. I guess the question on my mind is "In your opinion, what is the most distinctive thing about iGuitars or Brian Moore that says..this is the best I can do. What says this is different than what's been done and I am most proud of this?" I have never owned either, I have played several Brian Moore customs and I was very impressed.

Again, I thank you for sharing of yourself with us.

If my question has already been asked, sorry, I just walked in the door from work.

Thanks again,

dave
                  Hi Dave, the question was sort of asked...

It would really be a combination of things that makes both the Brian Moore and iGuitar products distinctive -
                  - Comfort: design elements such as the comfort contoured top, sculpted headstock

-Quality: it is manufactured in an ISO 9002 certified factory and then we add Sperel tuners and Seymour Duncan pickups

- Setup: every guitar is set up and inspected at out NY faciity. Each guitar goes though the same detailed check list as our custom shop guitars.

-Technolgy: we feature piezo, 13pin and now USB technology giving guitars tremendous tonal and creative possibilities
                  Patrick G. Cummings
                  President
                  iGuitar, Inc.
                  www.iguitar.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                    Touching on the whole USB thing, could one plug their guitar into their iPod via the standard cable that came with the iPod and have a mobile amp when using the headphones? I know you mentioned the guitar being USB bus powered and the iPod may not give off enough power to run the electronics. Just curious as that could be a practical use for the mobile musician.
                    There would need to be both a major hardware and software upgrade from Apple for this to be possible via USB. There are apps for the iPhone and iPod touch that turn it into a reasonable mp3 recorder, via the built-in mic - as iPhone apps go, this is pretty cool
                    Patrick G. Cummings
                    President
                    iGuitar, Inc.
                    www.iguitar.com
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-Jaguar View Post
                      There was no real question in that post, I was just riffing on the digital nature of your products. Or maybe partly digital nature, since you use wood. Anyway, the questions were from a movie called Blade Runner. In particular, they are used in a scene where a policeman questions a person to determine if that person is, in fact, a human or simply a robot that appears to be human.

When I was in my late teens/early twenties, I read cyber-punk science fiction literature by William Gibson, in which people would connect their brains directly to machines to make music. I bought a computer and a synth to play around with, partly because of that. Years later, those mind interfaces seem as far-fetched as flying cars.

Anyway, a better question might be, in a forward thinking niche like the one you've carved out, what non-music-industry things have inspired your work?
                      Thanks for the clarification.

Inspiration comes from seeing industrial design ideas that create product improvements in other industries.

Living in NY, I am a huge fan of the button I can press the squirts magic fluid on my freezing windshield while driving on the Thruway during a blizzard.

While there is no direct connection, there is an influence.

I commented earlier how GC/Ash find it difficult to sell guitar-to-computer solutions because is requires training every guitar sales person to be knowledgeable on so many different software packages, and various audio interfaces, 13 pin interfaces, midi interface and studio gear, correct version drivers for every version OS, etc! (not every guitar guy can be a ProTools engineer!)

As a result, most retailers miss the opportunity to bring guitarists into this area...and the way it typically goes is a handfull of guitarists buy these things and figure it out by themselves - hence it never goes mainstream.

If you observe the PC industry, there is a trend towards the convenience of having things 'built-in'.
                      It was nice to have a CD/DVD player sitting on the desk next to my laptop, it is even nicer when that CD/DVD player is built in.

This was certainly an influence on the idea of eliminating all the external audio and midi interfaces needed to connect the guitarist to the computer.
                      By making them 'built-in' and creating and easy 'plug and play' experience, we also make it easier to retailer to share the experience with customers.

Let me reinforce that we do not seek to change this wonderful thing called an electric guitar with fabulous tone woods, great Duncan pickups, etc. we are simply making it easier to connect to the computer/recording studio environment.

Inspiration comes from lots of places.
                      Patrick G. Cummings
                      President
                      iGuitar, Inc.
                      www.iguitar.com
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                        Thanks for participating in our Guest Luthier Series, Pat. And thanks for staying late to get all the questions answered.

Congrats to ErikH for winning the set up, pickups, and iGuitar upgrade kit. PM has been sent.

Also, thanks to all of you for participating in this cool series. We're going to take next week off because it's Business Planning Week for Seymour Duncan managers. But we'll be back in two weeks with another exciting guest (actually, guests - it'll be a two person tag team).
                        Congrats to ErikH on the pickups, upgrade and set up.

It was to participate today, thanks for all the great questions.

A few parting points:

- Our Custom Shop is offering piezo, 13pin and USB upgrades on our guitars and most standard model guitars ( ie; les paul style, strats ) and now feature the Graphtech Ghost system which allows piezo/13pin on Floyd style guitars. You can register for our email newsletter and get more info here:

- We also sell our instruments factory direct, with several unique pieces available here: http://iguitar.com/CustomShop/shipped.asp
                        (there are also some cool instruments not listed)

- We will be producing a number of LEFTY Custom Shop models as a Fall Special, if you know any lefty players looking for a special guitar with our technology features

- We also offer a cash prize for email sales referrals $50 for iGuitar and $100 for Custom Shops if your referral results in a sale.

Thank you.
                        Patrick G. Cummings
                        President
                        iGuitar, Inc.
                        www.iguitar.com
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                          Hello from Paducah, KY!

Pat, it's great to see you carrying on the tradition of cutting-edge invention and creativity, as seen with Les Paul, Leo Fender, Seth Lover, not to mention our dear Mr. D.

Along with willeubanks (a fellow forum user), I would also be quite interested in an iBass. What I see as necessary would be a wide tonal versatility -- everything from smooth acoustic bass to roaring hard rock overdrive, with crisp slap and articulate fingerstyle along the way.

From what I understand of MIDI, sometimes it can be difficult for dynamics in pitch, attack and sustain to be accurately transferred into data. How does iGuitar succeed over previous technologies?
                          Thanks for the feedback!

For bassists we recommend an RMC piezo/13pin system with and Axon synth. The combination of the Piezo pickups quickly tranferring string information combined with Axons technology would be the best iBass solution.

My info is below if you would like to contact us directly.

Thank you.
                          Patrick G. Cummings
                          President
                          iGuitar, Inc.
                          www.iguitar.com
                          [email protected]

Comment

I had no computer access and could participate.. Congrats Erik! Thank you Patrick for your time ! I look forward to reading thru and learning all I can!

There is a Magnificent used Brian Moore at local GC that I have played and drooled over a couple of times.. I think they are asking over $2000 so it wont be coming home..
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Great to have some one like you here advancing the state of the art in electric guitars !

I know I will drive you nuts with questions soon .

I have a Godin LGXSA and love it .

The more manufactures that jump in with both feet on the midi-synthesizer / electric guitar the better for all to reap the benefits .

Can't wait to fire off some serious questions at ya

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
                              It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

Working...
                              X