This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Next up in the continuing Guest Luthier Series, we're very proud to have the team of Michael Ciravolo, President of Schecter Guitar Research, and Marc La Corte, Vice President, on hand to answer your questions. Originally founded in the mid-‘70s as a California-based supplier of replacement parts and then Fender-inspired guitars, the company has grown into one of the world’s premier guitar brands.

Here's a brief biography on today's guests:

Michael Ciravolo ran Hollywood’s Sunset Custom Guitars before being tapped to take the helm at Schecter in the mid-‘90s. Ciravolo, who also holds down guitar duties with Goth rockers Gene Loves Jezebel as well as his own band Human Drama, was one of the pioneers of developing manufacturing relationships with offshore factories and producing high-end, premium-branded instruments. Some of these guitars include the famed C Series, Tempest, Ultra, Blackjack, Solo and many others. His wife, Tish Ciravolo, is president and founder of Daisy Rock Girl Guitars.

Marc La Corte, also a musician and producer, runs the company’s AR Department and has developed relationships with Schecter’s myriad artists, including Robin Finck / Nine Inch Nails, Robert Smith, Porl Thomson, & Simon Gallup / The Cure, Robert DeLeo / Stone Temple Pilots, Synyster Gates & Zacky Vengeance / Avenged Sevenfold, Jerry Horton / Papa Roach, Shaun Morgan / Seether and many, many more. Marc is also intimately involved in product development.

As an added bonus, at the end of this live chat, Schecter will give away their awesome and stylish Vintage Guitar Strap to 10 lucky participants in this SDUGF exclusive event. No country restrictions!

Folks, please join me in welcoming Schecter's Michael Ciravolo and Marc La Corte!
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Welcome guys! I look forward to the knowledge and experiences you have to share with us.

Comment

Good morning everyone!

We are really looking forward to this!
      Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. This post is more about the business & logistical side rather than the guitar building aspect of Schecter.

How do you guys pick which artists you want to endorse (# of fans on Myspace, shows played per year, record sales, major label backing, etc)? Typically, do you pick one guitarist to endorse or do you support the whole band? For the average, small touring band that hasn't really broke ground with a major hit and massive sales, what kind of deal do they get for endorsing your brand and products? I'm just curious how big companies weed through the thousands of guitarists that think they deserve to be endorsed. There must be a logical criteria. Thanks for any insights!

Comment

By the way, last night Michael Ciravolo gave me 10 random numbers (with a few backups). Those numbers will correspond to the post numbers of the 10 winners of the Schecter guitar straps.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

welcome!!

what can you tell me about prince's guitars? i know you guys built at least one or two of his symbol guitars.

Comment

Hi Michael and Marc!!

Thanks for taking time out for us here at the SDUGF.

A couple of guitar philosophy questions...

1. Can you both name any one particular guitar that made want to start building guitars because you felt you could do a better job making your own?

2. Can you both name any one guitar that made you want to start building because you thought you'd like to live up to it's higher standard with your own builds?

Thanks!!
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Welcome!

Something I've wondered for a while is how you arrived at the idea that offering choices to guitarists is actually a good thing. With other big guitar brands, their models tend to have the same dimensions. The differences between their models are mostly cosmetic. But your production models come in a variety of scales and neck dimensions, even the 7 strings. Did you follow the demand, or did you do it out of some kind of philosophy, or was it something else?

Comment

Which is the best selling model of Schecter guitar currently, and also of all time?

Comment

Good day Gents!! Thanks for sharing your day with us.
                    Any off beat Who/Pete Townshend stories to share and/or about the development of his '80s signature "Tele" style guitars?
                    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                    Guitar to sound output:
                    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Thanks for doing this!

My introduction to Schecter years ago was through the USA built stuff... the oiled Strat & Tele styles which are superb instruments that IMO are on par with Anderson & others of that ilk. I really miss my old T-style guitar that went missing... it had the most amazing neck & sounded great.

I also realize that besides the crazy custom shop stuff, that a large chunk of what's out there are the imported Diamond series and those are fine as well... some of which are close to $1000.

Are there any plans or have you ever kicked around the idea to come out with a line of sub $1000 USA made guitars?

When I was in high school, circa 1993 or so I bought a USA made Hamer for $600 that came with a Floyd & Duncans... looking around today, and I guess its not hard to notice this because the diamonds are everywhere, that $600+ will also buy a "new" guitar with a Floyd & Duncans!

Not that they'd have to have a locking trem... but stripped down tone machines. Good wood, good hardware... Fender killers.
                      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                      mixer|producer|recordist
                      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Good Morning All ... I need MORE coffee!!
                        Michael Ciravolo
                        President
                        Schecter Guitar Research
                        www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

I realy don't have a question but I do want to say thanks for making a quality product for a really reasonable price. My Schecter Blackjack PT is my all time fav guitar I have ever owend. I'm a Schecter fan for life.... Thx Richard
                          Guitar:
                          2 EBMM Axis Super Sports, EBMM Sub1, Peavey Wolfgang
                          Amp:
                          EVH 5150III 50Watt>Mesa 4X12
                          Effects:
                          G-System>ISP G-String>ClinchFX EP-PRE>Stinkbug

Comment

Michael and Marc --- welcome!

As a guitar nerd, I'm aware of the PT Series, but if I was a music-store-and-guitar-magazine only person, I would think of Schecter as HH Strat-body-style shred rockers.

I know Schecter has quite the reputation for high quality affordable "modern" design guitars --- are there any plans to create brand new modern updates on those classic designs, or push marketing of the more classic designs (outside of the PT Series)?

Thanks!

-Hunter
                            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

My #1 guitar is my early 80's PT/Saturn...i'd love to get another guitar that had a similar build/feel to this one so i can give it the rest it deserves once in awhile!

I've never layed my hands on the current USA Custom stuff...but to your knowledge, i assume i could count on the same stellar quality and feel of those old 80's PT guitars!?!? Nothing i've played to date feels as good from any other manufacturer?!

Also...of your Diamond series...i really dig the Pete Dee PT...can you tell us about how that guitar came to be?

thanks,
                              mike
                              Originally posted by jeremy
                              God hates bad guitar tone
                              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Working...
                              X