This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

The Hellcat VI is a monster of a guitar. Are there any plans to expand on the crazy long neck idea?
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

We built 24 'Cloud' guitars (as seen in Purple Rain) for a big radio promo Prince did first. Then be built him several custom CLOUD guitars for tour. Later we built 2 of his 'Symbol' guitars... a gold and a purple if I remember correctly... which have been in a few times to repair the broken bottom horns ... and to have a Floyd installed on one. He played one of these at the Super Bowl half time show. .... and we have also built him a replica of his infamous Hohner tele..... Lets Go Crazy
      Michael Ciravolo
      President
      Schecter Guitar Research
      www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

@speed2dirt - You pretty much nailed it! Obviously things have changed dramatically with the internet and myspace. At the end of the day we are looking for talent, something that we think has the potential to be groundbreaking one way or another. So we sort of play A&R the way a record company does. We work with huge signed acts and lots of smaller up and coming bands. We just look for the right fit in the Schecter family.

You obviously need to be out there, playing shows, doing tours and getting exposure from all the normal media outlets, otherwise we would be giving gear to everyone who has a band!

I hope that helps.
        Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

I know this question is hard to answer, as it's very general, but I'll ask it.

I don't know much about Schecter guitars, but every time I have picked one up, it felt amazing. Quality and overall playability has been on par with instruments many times their price. Now, considering I don't know much about them, which instrument in your line do you consider your flagship, the guitar that, in your opinion, embodies what guitar building is about to you? If you had to recommend me a guitar in your line knowing nothing about my style, which one would it be?
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by MCschecterPres View Post
            Good Morning All ... I need MORE coffee!!

Good Morning! I have some questions for you;

Wikipedia says that you were working at Sunset Custom in 1987 as one of the few retailers that sold Schecter guitars, and that in 1996 Hisatake Shibuya asked you to become president and run the company. Can you give us a brief rundown of how your business relationship with him developed during those times?

Is David Schecter still involved with the company? If so, on what level?

And finally... I'm in college working on my degree currently and I plan to relocate to LA to establish a career in the music industry. What does Schecter look for in potential employees? I can make a mean cup of coffee if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Comment

@ HOSS I honestly fell our current custom shop guitars are far more consisitant and superior to some of the mid-80s era Schecter guitars. SOme of those wer put together from 'kits' ... and were hit and miss. I used to own an '85 PT model which was just ok. I have played others that were just fantastic.
              The P DEE (@ Adicts) was basted on our current PT Fastback model ... he played and liked it... so we sat with him and dressed it up ala Adicts. Pete wanted a Bigsby trem as a standard option too. Nice Guitar. Great Guy!
              Michael Ciravolo
              President
              Schecter Guitar Research
              www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Any company that has built a guitar (especially 24 guitars) for Prince is alright by me!

Keep up the good work fellas.
                Last edited by B Bent; 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM.
                I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

@guitfiddle _ I cant speak for Michael 100%, but we do have some very similar taste in guitars. We tend to like more "odd ball" guitars, some of the weird Japanese stuff.
                  I'm sure because Schecter started as Strat and Tele replacement parts company people would assume we are some purists but not really the case. We love to experiment and blend ideas from various guitars. If you look through our catalog I'm sure it shows.

Any one guitar though for me would still just be any vintage Les Paul Standard - gold-top please - they really do sound amazing and still inspire us to move forward.

Comment

@Rowan - Right now the Hellraiser line. Sorry Evan and SD I know it's like sacrilege !

All time might be our C-1+

Comment

@Phil 104 - thanks for noticing! The set-up and quality of our insturments is the most important thing to us. SInce I became President in 1996... and with the intro of our Diamond Series in 1998... we know we had to be better than the competition to make this fly. We now have a staff of 20 set-up guys ... all guitarists who live and breath guitars. The are proud of what they do and what this comapny represents.
                      As far as our flagship guitar... wow hard question.
                      I think the versatility of our line is key. Unlike outher companies... we are not a one-trick-pony... we cover a lot of styles and tones... My personal fave guitar is our Tempest.... though I am playing a Corsair a lot live now
                      Michael Ciravolo
                      President
                      Schecter Guitar Research
                      www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

G'day guys,thanks for taking the time to do this!
                        I'll make this quick,coz it's 3:45 am down here in Australia and,man,do I need my beauty sleep!!
                        Michael,what kind of axes were you building in the Sunset days,and did any of those designs carry over into Schecter's guitar line ?
                        Did either of you have a connection with the earliest days of Schecter ?

Once again thanks!

Cheers,PJ

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
                          The Hellcat VI is a monster of a guitar. Are there any plans to expand on the crazy long neck idea?
                          This guitar came about with the help of Robert and Perry from the CURE. Marc and I have always loved the band, and their use of this instrument. We have built a few UltraCUre Bass VIs which Robert uses on stage, and may offer a Limited Version of it in 2010.
                          Here is a sneak peak ... and no promises... but there also may be an Ultra-VI in 2010
                          and I am glad you 'get' this instrument ... many dont
                          Michael Ciravolo
                          President
                          Schecter Guitar Research
                          www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Are there any more "different" guitars in the works? I've owned two CB-2000s in the past, and really enjoyed them for playing detuned stuff. Sold them both when I needed money, and now I can't find one again.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Thanks guys for doing this! Got a couple of questions...

-How did the company end up crossing paths with Pete Townshend to then do the PT series back in the day?
                              -I have played a few import Schecters and have been blown away by the quality. Other companies manage to produce great import stuff too, but then some do fall short. What steps do Schecter take to reach that standard?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I very nearly got a C series but im afraid i got a Dean instead. Was a close battle!

Comment

Originally posted by Pontiac Jack View Post
                                G'day guys,thanks for taking the time to do this!
                                I'll make this quick,coz it's 3:45 am down here in Australia and,man,do I need my beauty sleep!!
                                Michael,what kind of axes were you building in the Sunset days,and did any of those designs carry over into Schecter's guitar line ?
                                Did either of you have a connection with the earliest days of Schecter ?

Once again thanks!

Cheers,PJ
                                good day! ok... had too
                                In the sunset custom days ... most of the Schecter stuff was 'exotic fender' style guitars... the CET, S_Series etc. Basic nods to the Schecter past
                                The first 2 non-schecteresque guitars were built in 1995 for J. and Sean from White Zombie. Js's AstroSurf (later became the Avenger) and Sean's Coffin Bass (later ripped off by Gibson!)

My earlest conncection to Schecter was owning a few 'kit' guitars as a kid... and later working at Lab SOund in LA... which was onwed by one of the original Schecter founders
                                Michael Ciravolo
                                President
                                Schecter Guitar Research
                                www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X