This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

not sure if you want to spill any possible secrets that may be on the way for NAMM 2010 but i have to ask since i'd buy it today if i could....what are the chances of a production model black with gold hardware floyd rose wquipped tempest custom?

the tempest is a great design and i'd like to own another (i had a p-90 loaded goldtop a few years back) but i've become floyd rose obsessed so i'm crossing my fingers that you guys make that a reality.

keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      Are there any more "different" guitars in the works? I've owned two CB-2000s in the past, and really enjoyed them for playing detuned stuff. Sold them both when I needed money, and now I can't find one again.
      yeah .. that was an insteresting insturment!
      we do a lot of insturments soley designed for drop and sub-A tunings.
      the C-1 EX (which will be available as a Hellraiser in Dec 2009)
      as well as MANY 7 and 8 string insturments.
      Make sure to check out the LIMITED EDITION section of our web site... as you will see these instruments... which are not in our '09 catalog
      Michael Ciravolo
      President
      Schecter Guitar Research
      www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

@J Moose - I can say we are working hard, even with this economy, towards a bigger and brighter future for the Schecter Custom Shop. Can't give too many details but we just acquired a new build and are expanding as we speak.

As for your price points, that will be tough with the current marketplace but we will do our best to continue to offer more access to our high-end custom shop and a new semi-custom line.

Keep an eye out!
        Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
          not sure if you want to spill any possible secrets that may be on the way for NAMM 2010 but i have to ask since i'd buy it today if i could....what are the chances of a production model black with gold hardware floyd rose wquipped tempest custom?

the tempest is a great design and i'd like to own another (i had a p-90 loaded goldtop a few years back) but i've become floyd rose obsessed so i'm crossing my fingers that you guys make that a reality.

keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

-Mike
          glad you like the Tempest. This guitar has been in our line since 1996 and has appeared in so many versions. I just have never viewed it as a FR guitar... but stay on our email list and it may appear as a Limited next year!
          Michael Ciravolo
          President
          Schecter Guitar Research
          www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf View Post
            Thanks guys for doing this! Got a couple of questions...

-How did the company end up crossing paths with Pete Townshend to then do the PT series back in the day?
            -I have played a few import Schecters and have been blown away by the quality. Other companies manage to produce great import stuff too, but then some do fall short. What steps do Schecter take to reach that standard?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I very nearly got a C series but im afraid i got a Dean instead. Was a close battle!
            I was still a kid in New Orleans when Pete came aboard... but I do remember the Emience Front video. From the story I was told... Pete saw the first doubel-bount 2-Hum 'tele' at Rudy's Music in NYC. At that time .. many repair shops bought Schecter parts ... ehcks, bodies ... everything and built completed guitars. After getting one or more from Rudy's.. Pete contacted Schecter directly and the rest is history
            Michael Ciravolo
            President
            Schecter Guitar Research
            www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
              Hi Michael and Marc!!

Thanks for taking time out for us here at the SDUGF.

A couple of guitar philosophy questions...

1. Can you both name any one particular guitar that made want to start building guitars because you felt you could do a better job making your own?

2. Can you both name any one guitar that made you want to start building because you thought you'd like to live up to it's higher standard with your own builds?

Thanks!!
              as I kid I grew up loving double cutaway stuff .... I owned Hamer Specials, Yamaha SBG1000s ... etc. Just never could afford that great Les Paul TV Special!
              I just think a lot of companies that once made great guitars ..lost sight along the way..... I'll leave it at that !
              Michael Ciravolo
              President
              Schecter Guitar Research
              www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

hey guys, first off, thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions...

next: I know you've already talked about it but are the Prince "symbol" guitars made entirely out of wood, or is it some sort of composite? also what the "playability" to "how the hell are we gonna make this thing" ratio on something like that... I'm sure the quality is immaculate... but working around the logistics of the shape, were there any compromises?

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Thanks for being here, guy's....It's a real treal as I 've always felt your guitars are unmatched for overall quality and outstanding playability at their price point.

Two questions: I have a "mike tempesta" (black m33) model which I play everyday & the bridge (blade) pickup has always been a mystery to me....what exactly is it?

(& if you have time)

What happened to the "jerry horton" model was there a falling out or did it just not sell....Aside from the fretboard, are the new "classics" the same feature-wise?

THANKS AGAIN FOR BEING HERE!!!

Comment

So this weekend I played a C-1 EA semi hollow-body guitar at Guitar Center. The piezo electronics were very interesting, gave it a very different tone than the pickups. I looked for it on your website but I didn't see it, was it replaced by the Corsair series?

Also, something that I've noticed is that a lot of your models have push-pulls to for coil splitting. That's pretty cool, and I think people (at least the crowd on this forum) will appreciate that. Any plans to put wiring diagrams on your website? Is this what the dimmed "resources" tab will be?
                    "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
                    - Marilyn Manson

Comment

Hi,

I love your guitar designs. They have a lot of vintage, elegant features on them while still looking very welcoming to shredders. I would be very grateful if you could write a little bit about the process of designing a new guitar in you company.

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream View Post
                        Welcome!

Something I've wondered for a while is how you arrived at the idea that offering choices to guitarists is actually a good thing. With other big guitar brands, their models tend to have the same dimensions. The differences between their models are mostly cosmetic. But your production models come in a variety of scales and neck dimensions, even the 7 strings. Did you follow the demand, or did you do it out of some kind of philosophy, or was it something else?
                        We diffintley seek out the niches in the market! My sales dept. goes crazy sometimes at all of the 'choices' .... hell we offer 51 different L/H model this year!
                        Keeping the 'small co' mind set allows us to try things that most of our competitors will not. I am ok if we sell 50 of a certain guitar ... if we think it is cool and useful
                        Michael Ciravolo
                        President
                        Schecter Guitar Research
                        www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarcSchecter View Post
                          @J Moose - I can say we are working hard, even with this economy, towards a bigger and brighter future for the Schecter Custom Shop. Can't give too many details but we just acquired a new build and are expanding as we speak.

As for your price points, that will be tough with the current marketplace but we will do our best to continue to offer more access to our high-end custom shop and a new semi-custom line.

Keep an eye out!
                          It wasn't so much about the price points but more of an observation on how things have changed over the last 10-15 years. I mean, I realize the price of just about everything has gone up... at one point the Am. Std Strat was $500!

Having owned & played numerous USA & diamonds... the import stuff always leaves me a little cold. They're great guitars, but they aren't what the USA stuff is. I had a semi-hollow Tempest and it played great but it seemed like a guitar with an identity crisis... And its not just Schecters... most imported guitars just aren't what I'd want for a main instrument.

Anyway... do you keep records of the Custom Shop instruments? If I supplied a serial number could you tell me what the materials of a guitar were, the woods and stuff? Specifically wondering about the neck of the Tele that got lifted...

Thanks!
                          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                          mixer|producer|recordist
                          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

@elscorcho - Cool guitar you have there! That is an interesting pickup actually and stems from a Seymour Duncan pickup, that has a long history as well. As I recall and I hope I'm not saying too much. Mike Tempesta is a HUGE Black Sabbath fan, at the time SD was working a new model for Tony Iommi, and Mike just had to have that in his guitar. So Duncan created a Duncan Design version for us. As I recall, the long blades on top and SUPER hot, great sounding rock humbucker!

As for Jerry, we are like family. He had much to do with the explosion of Schecter some 10 years ago. So yes the Classic is very similar, different pickups. The model changes mostly have to do with the bands album cycles and when we are coming out with new model. So Keep an eye out for a new Jerry Solo 6 model next year!
                            Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-Jaguar View Post
                              So this weekend I played a C-1 EA semi hollow-body guitar at Guitar Center. The piezo electronics were very interesting, gave it a very different tone than the pickups. I looked for it on your website but I didn't see it, was it replaced by the Corsair series?

Also, something that I've noticed is that a lot of your models have push-pulls to for coil splitting. That's pretty cool, and I think people (at least the crowd on this forum) will appreciate that. Any plans to put wiring diagrams on your website? Is this what the dimmed "resources" tab will be?
                              The C-1 E/A is a very versatile guitar. We offered it a few years ago and it was just a pain-in-the-ass with getting a good USA made piezo system.
                              The new Graph-Tech Ghost system is really nice and had been pretty reliable.

and YES>... getting diagrams up is a priorty for us. It really should have been up last year!

The Corasir is a different guitar ... and still in our line.

The push-pull is always been a cool feature on Schecter guitars. David Schecter did develope the first 'spilittable' pickup! We try to make every guitar the most versatile tone-wise as possible... even on many to be able to spilt each pickup individually
                              Michael Ciravolo
                              President
                              Schecter Guitar Research
                              www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarcSchecter View Post
                                @elscorcho - Cool guitar you have there! That is an interesting pickup actually and stems from a Seymour Duncan pickup, that has a long history as well. As I recall and I hope I'm not saying too much. Mike Tempesta is a HUGE Black Sabbath fan, at the time SD was working a new model for Tony Iommi, and Mike just had to have that in his guitar. So Duncan created a Duncan Design version for us. As I recall, the long blades on top and SUPER hot, great sounding rock humbucker!

As for Jerry, we are like family. He had much to do with the explosion of Schecter some 10 years ago. So yes the Classic is very similar, different pickups. The model changes mostly have to do with the bands album cycles and when we are coming out with new model. So Keep an eye out for a new Jerry Solo 6 model next year!
                                I would like to second Marc's comment about Jerry. When we launched the Diamond Series at NAMM ... having Jerry play a STOCK C-1 guitar in PAPA ROACH's mega hit video Last Resort ... it gave our new 'import' line so much credibility. Period.
                                Michael Ciravolo
                                President
                                Schecter Guitar Research
                                www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X