This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

Thanks for being here and answering all the questions! I managed to make a few of my own as well:

As all of the Schecters I've seen have been good quality asian imports, I've always thought of Schecter as the company that makes high-quality affordable asian made guitars that cater to many modern tastes, predominantly rock and metal. How fitting do you think my image is?

How do you feel the asian guitar factories have developed during your time doing business with them?

How do you see their quality compared to factories in the US and Europe?

What do you see as the last issues they need to tackle to get to level ground?

How do you assist them in their development?

And last, is the anything special on guitars made for Nine Inch Nails?

Thanks for your time, I eagerly await your responses!
    Last edited by Johtosotku; 09-29-2009, 12:19 PM.
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Thank you Schecter guys for doing this.

Question: why not include an Earvana (or maybe proprietary) compensating nut on your Diamond Series guitars? This would make a huge difference. I put one on my C-1 Classic and the difference was like night and day - chords are now in tune all over the neck! Seeing as many others (Ernie Ball, ESP's LTD line, etc.) are already doing it, I think this would be a good way to take an already great guitar for the price and make it even better. Might take some of that market share and steer it back your way as well!

Your thoughts? TIA!
      Chris Naish
      Phil 4:4-9; James 1:2-5,12; 2 Cor 5:21

Comment

Hey Guys. Welcome to the Seymour Duncan Forum.

Do you still sell aftermarket parts upon request? If not, have you thought about getting back in to that side of the business. I know that the old Schecter bodies and necks are highly regarded as some of the better replacement parts of the time.

-Erik

Comment

@J Moose - I hear yeah, we hate to disappoint but pricing is always tough especially on USA Built stuff as we all know. As you said import stuff keeps going up and it prices out the USA built stuff. I too would like that to change and we some idea for the future to offer MORE affordable semi custom guitars.

As for Serial numbers depends how old, when the company changed hands we didn't get any of the records from the 70'and 80's.
          Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
            I love your guitar designs. They have a lot of vintage, elegant features on them while still looking very welcoming to shredders. I would be very grateful if you could write a little bit about the process of designing a new guitar in you company.
            Along the same lines, why so many demonic-sounding names? Granted, a 3-necked guitar called the "Cerberus" would be cool, but who comes up with all the names? It's kinda confusing what name means what, because you have the C-1, tempus, and shape names, and then the Damien, diamond, hellraiser ... what do all those signify?
            "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
            - Marilyn Manson

Comment

I have a question about some of the Japan only models that are on that "auction site". I really like some of those, and of course, they can be ordered from Japan and shipped, but why are some of those not available in the US? #390080542110 for example...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                Hey Guys. Welcome to the Seymour Duncan Forum.

Do you still sell aftermarket parts upon request? If not, have you thought about getting back in to that side of the business. I know that the old Schecter bodies and necks are highly regarded as some of the better replacement parts of the time.

-Erik
                Parts? God No! It is a different time now... most guitars are of quality and I don't think it is really necessary to change so much on an over-the-counter guitars.
                Honestly, it was hard to shake the 'you build kit guitars' image when we changed the path of Schecter... and not sure I want to start that up again.... but who knows... never say never!
                Michael Ciravolo
                President
                Schecter Guitar Research
                www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

One of the things I enjoy about your line up is that you have have models that are clearly inspired by "classics" but still retain a very "Schecter" identity (i.e. the Stargazer is clearly reminiscent of a Rickenbacker, at least cosmetically; Solo-6 to a Les Paul, etc). What makes you think, "I want to see Schecter's take on [insert guitar type]!" and how do you decide how much to borrow from the original design vs. how much of your own design?

Comment

Any plans for a radical shape in the vein of a Flying V, Explorer, or Star guitar shape?
                    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                    Guitar to sound output:
                    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

As all of the Schecters I've seen have been good quality asian imports, I've always thought of Schecter as the company that makes high-quality affordable asian made guitars that cater to many modern tastes, predominantly rock and metal. How fitting do you think my image is?

Its odd, I get it and if the shoe fits as they say, but honestly we see ourselves as much more diverse. I see the Stargazer, the Ultra III, The Hellcat

How do you feel the asian guitar factories have developed during your time doing business with them?

Everyone does business overseas, so this has helped for sure. There are some factories out there that make a great product and have great communication. Some not so good. It has improved dramatically though in the last 10 years.

How do you see their quality compared to factories in the US and Europe?

Not there yet. Maybe won't ever be especially at the price points they are used to building.

What do you see as the last issues they need to tackle to get to level ground?

Using the best Materials possible and time! Focusing on the details.

And last, is the anything special on guitars made for Nine Inch Nails?

Robin Finck model coming next year!
                      Nothing too wild, we have worked with him on some on board electronics, Wahs and filters.. more to come there as well.
                      Last edited by MarcSchecter; 09-29-2009, 12:33 PM.
                      Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-Jaguar View Post
                        Along the same lines, why so many demonic-sounding names? Granted, a 3-necked guitar called the "Cerberus" would be cool, but who comes up with all the names? It's kinda confusing what name means what, because you have the C-1, tempus, and shape names, and then the Damien, diamond, hellraiser ... what do all those signify?
                        I don't work for Schecter, but I think that it signifies coolness.

I'd imagine that Damien and Omen are taken from the Omen movies.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          I have a question about some of the Japan only models that are on that "auction site". I really like some of those, and of course, they can be ordered from Japan and shipped, but why are some of those not available in the US? #390080542110 for example...
                          You really MUST beware of fakes on the market. I just looked at the particular guitar you mentioned and it does look like a real Schecter.

Our owner is Japanese, and there is a separate divison of Schecte in JAPAN. The design guitars for the Japanese market and do not sell outside of Japan.

We sell to them and the rest of the world. SOunds odd I know .. but it works.
                          They do import some of the Diamond Series models also. IMO, they always seem a little behind the times... but most of the guitars they build in Japan are really nice.
                          Michael Ciravolo
                          President
                          Schecter Guitar Research
                          www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                            I don't work for Schecter, but I think that it signifies coolness.

I'd imagine that Damien and Omen are taken from the Omen movies.

Guys,,,, come on. Part of our demographic is the 16-20 year olds... that love video games, etc. and yes... we love horror movies here too!
                            and WWII planes.... tempest, hellcat, avenger, corsair !

or I could just come up with a string of random numbers! ... RDC1000X-FR pr ES-6500-RW ............... seems boring to me!!!!
                            Michael Ciravolo
                            President
                            Schecter Guitar Research
                            www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                              Any plans for a radical shape in the vein of a Flying V, Explorer, or Star guitar shape?

check out our V-1 model ... we offer it in in 6, 7 and 8 string versions!

again, check the Limited Edition part of of our site.. as many of these are only available as 50 or 100pc runs. Or check www.drumcityguitarland.com our biggest independant dealer... and he usually gets these up first.

I do love the explore and the Iceman even more... but we do have our Avenger shape...

and yes... the radical (or suck ass) B-2 shape ... no discontinued!
                              Michael Ciravolo
                              President
                              Schecter Guitar Research
                              www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

TO ALL:

guys ... we are trying to answer everyone's questions ... and both Marc and I are on.... but if we miss your post... please resend and we will get to it.

thanks
                                MC
                                Michael Ciravolo
                                President
                                Schecter Guitar Research
                                www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                                X