This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

@dd12939 - Actually a great question. As you know not much new under the sun. Fender and Gibson created icons no denying that. We take things that to us as players inspire us and build upon them. The influence is sometimes obvious and sometimes not so much. We all still play music on one level or another and I think that makes the difference at Schecter, we have a a passion about guitars still.

As for how far do we go, its always what just feels right. We stare at these things for weeks as we design and just go with what we like.
    Marc LaCorte - Vice President

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
      Any plans for a radical shape in the vein of a Flying V, Explorer, or Star guitar shape?
      There already is a V (actually 7 models, according to the website):

Comment

Proud owner of a PT Elite here. I have guitars that cost twice as much the Schecter and it holds up with the rest easily, which is what I've always loved about the brand. My girlfriend owns a C-1 as well.

My question is concerning endorsement artists - with few exceptions, it seems like you guys are endorsing mostly metal artists. Is this on purpose, or more of an incidental thing? Playing in a punk rock band, sometimes I get weird looks/comments for playing a "metal" guitar.

Thanks guys!
        Facebook - My facebook page
        Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by MCschecterPres View Post
          I do love the explore and the Iceman even more... but we do have our Avenger shape...
          I need to get another Avenger one of these days. The first *new* guitar I ever bought was an A-7+, back in 1998/1999 or so. Then I got the CB-2000, and have owned a few others.. C7, C1+.. only one I have right now is an Omen 6. I need to change that.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

@Jake - Come on! We have the Adicts!

No seriously, some people think we only work with metal artist but they haven't really looked at our loooong list of bands we deal with.

its varies from The Cure to STP to Type O Negative to the Neville Brothers to Grant Lee Philips to Exodus and on and on. I just think that some of the bigger acts that sell records happen to fall into the rock/metal category.

Comment

Originally posted by Quicksilver689 View Post
              Thank you Schecter guys for doing this.

Question: why not include an Earvana (or maybe proprietary) compensating nut on your Diamond Series guitars? This would make a huge difference. I put one on my C-1 Classic and the difference was like night and day - chords are now in tune all over the neck! Seeing as many others (Ernie Ball, ESP's LTD line, etc.) are already doing it, I think this would be a good way to take an already great guitar for the price and make it even better. Might take some of that market share and steer it back your way as well!

Your thoughts? TIA!
              Honestly... we looked at this nut and even the Buzz Feiton system ... and there was something about it that we were not 100% happy with.... maybe it was the 50+ years of guitar sounds that were imperfect?? I don't know... I like a bit of dissonance ... just used to it. I think we but an Earvana nut and had guys here play it most did NOT like it. I am sure like you, some players do.
              We have used the GRAPTECH TUSQ nut on all of our guitars... and it think not only helps the guitar stay in tune ... but is extremely natural sounding
              Michael Ciravolo
              President
              Schecter Guitar Research
              www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                I need to get another Avenger one of these days. The first *new* guitar I ever bought was an A-7+, back in 1998/1999 or so. Then I got the CB-2000, and have owned a few others.. C7, C1+.. only one I have right now is an Omen 6. I need to change that.
                The A-7!! we have only framed on the wall here with a plague that reads: The Guitar that Started it All !
                Michael Ciravolo
                President
                Schecter Guitar Research
                www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by MarcSchecter View Post
                  @Jake - Come on! We have the Adicts!

No seriously, some people think we only work with metal artist but they haven't really looked at our loooong list of bands we deal with.

its varies from The Cure to STP to Type O Negative to the Neville Brothers to Grant Lee Philips to Exodus and on and on. I just think that some of the bigger acts that sell records happen to fall into the rock/metal category.

and we have the Dead Kennedy's, Misfits and The Dwarves!

hell .. we have a punk cover band we play in here called PC101 !
                  Michael Ciravolo
                  President
                  Schecter Guitar Research
                  www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

TO ALL:

guys ... we are trying to answer everyone's questions ... and both Marc and I are on.... but if we miss your post... please resend and we will get to it.

thanks
                    MC
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                    Michael and Marc --- welcome!

As a guitar nerd, I'm aware of the PT Series, but if I was a music-store-and-guitar-magazine only person, I would think of Schecter as HH Strat-body-style shred rockers.

I know Schecter has quite the reputation for high quality affordable "modern" design guitars --- are there any plans to create brand new modern updates on those classic designs, or push marketing of the more classic designs (outside of the PT Series)?

Thanks!

-Hunter
                    Re-posted from Page 1 --- Big Thanks, guys!
                    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Welcome, gents. This beaut showed up on eBay today (#300351821465) - a real blast from Schecter's past.

I'm really surprised at all the PT love shown here today. I was a consultant on Hoss' purchase of his PT - he called me from the store and I walked him through confirming it was an honest-to-God original Dallas-era Saturn. He got a steal on it, and it has worked out well for him.

I owned an original black 84 or 85 Saturn/PT and stupidly sold it. I later replaced it with an identical guitar but it was a really ugly red, so I sold that, too.

Now, I have a re-creation using a few-years-old Korean Schecter goldtop PT body, with a Fender MIM maple neck (purchased from Xssive here on the SDUGF. Take my word for it - whatever design advice you can get from that guy, take it; he's a genius. My goldtop mutt is a pretty good guitar, but lacks the old black PT's log neck.

So, here are my questions:

1) Necks - what size do YOU prefer? Why do the current PTs have skinny shredder necks?

2) Why did I sell that first black PT? Why oh why oh why?

3) When will my old PT surface on eBay? (Trust me, I'll know it when I see it - it has a "distinguishing feature".)

Thanks again for being here, and sorry to focus on the past so much. I can't help it, I'm a fuddy-duddy. (The good news is my 13-year old is a bass player and he really likes a couple of the Schecters down at our local store.)
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally Posted by ImmortalSix
                        Michael and Marc --- welcome!

As a guitar nerd, I'm aware of the PT Series, but if I was a music-store-and-guitar-magazine only person, I would think of Schecter as HH Strat-body-style shred rockers.

I know Schecter has quite the reputation for high quality affordable "modern" design guitars --- are there any plans to create brand new modern updates on those classic designs, or push marketing of the more classic designs (outside of the PT Series)?

Thanks!

-Hunter

Hunter- I think we do so much beyond the HH Strat-style (which I think your are refering to as our C-1 style) ... Tempest, 006, Avenger. S-1, Hellcat, Banshee,
                        and yes... we will still do what we condider cool variants of the 'classics' ...
                        PT FastBack, Solo-6 and the Corsair.

I hope this answers your question?
                        Michael Ciravolo
                        President
                        Schecter Guitar Research
                        www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

Not sure if anybody has asked this but.......

How did the Pete Dee custom sig guitar get started? Did he ask you guys or did you guys ask him?

Just wanna say, keep on making sweet guitars and kudos for using duncans in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                            Welcome, gents. This beaut showed up on eBay today (#300351821465) - a real blast from Schecter's past.

I'm really surprised at all the PT love shown here today. I was a consultant on Hoss' purchase of his PT - he called me from the store and I walked him through confirming it was an honest-to-God original Dallas-era Saturn. He got a steal on it, and it has worked out well for him.

I owned an original black 84 or 85 Saturn/PT and stupidly sold it. I later replaced it with an identical guitar but it was a really ugly red, so I sold that, too.

Now, I have a re-creation using a few-years-old Korean Schecter goldtop PT body, with a Fender MIM maple neck (purchased from Xssive here on the SDUGF. Take my word for it - whatever design advice you can get from that guy, take it; he's a genius. My goldtop mutt is a pretty good guitar, but lacks the old black PT's log neck.

So, here are my questions:

1) Necks - what size do YOU prefer? Why do the current PTs have skinny shredder necks?

2) Why did I sell that first black PT? Why oh why oh why?

3) When will my old PT surface on eBay? (Trust me, I'll know it when I see it - it has a "distinguishing feature".)

Thanks again for being here, and sorry to focus on the past so much. I can't help it, I'm a fuddy-duddy. (The good news is my 13-year old is a bass player and he really likes a couple of the Schecters down at our local store.)

1- I personally favor a bigger neck. I think you will find the necks on our Diamond Series PT and PT Fastback (which is a GREAT guitar for those of you who have not seen or played.... maybe I can figure out how to post a pic!!)
                            to be pretty faithful to the 80s era PTs

2- women? drinks? drugs ??

3 - probably has and has been bought by someone on this forum!!
                            Michael Ciravolo
                            President
                            Schecter Guitar Research
                            www.schecterguitars.com

Comment

@ImmortalSix - oddly enough, depending on age usually, many people are unaware of the Schecter history. We like to think we have a lot of different models in our line, I think most people just don't realize. And yes, if I had an endless budget I would love to promote things like our PT Fastback and our Ultra III but it is a business, so we always have to hold back our passion for a certain model, because we know its more of a niche model.

But don't worry will will always have these models in our line and hope to have more!
                              Last edited by MarcSchecter; 09-29-2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

The A-7!! we have only framed on the wall here with a plague that reads: The Guitar that Started it All !
                                That A7+ and the first CB-2000 that I bought were the only new guitars that I've ever bought. Every other one has been bought used/B-Stock. (And I've owned about 100 guitars over the years.) They were "I gotta get that!" guitars. Almost picked up a new Scorpion a few years ago, still wish I had.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                                X