Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 202

Thread: Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

  1. #121
    Super Toneologist BigJoe77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tri State Area
    Posts
    1,077

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    What's up with the Sir Saint avatar? Cool, but unusual

  2. #122
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    Hello, thanks for giving up your time for this...

    When you want to kick back and play, which is your "go to" guitar?

    Which guitar gets closest to providing you with the tone you hear in your head?

    Do you have any designs that you think might just be too much for the current market?

    when I just play at home ... I have a Tempest Special with Seymour P90s ... love that guitar.

    For stage... I play 4 Corsairs ... the main one having the stock HB101 humbuckers

    Last edited by MCschecterPres; 09-29-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: update photo
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  3. #123
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe77 View Post
    What's up with the Sir Saint avatar? Cool, but unusual

    New Orleans Saints fan all my life!

    We have a cool guitar we are doing again for the team this year to sign for local charities.

    GO SAINTS!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  4. #124
    Ultimate Tone Member MarcSchecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_bees View Post
    Hello, thanks for giving up your time for this...

    When you want to kick back and play, which is your "go to" guitar?

    Not sure I should answer this! Michael will be mad.
    Right now my USA Trad PT with Custom Antiquities thanks Seymour!
    My USA Jazz Bass
    and my 1980 Les Paul Standard

    this list will change in one month!

    Which guitar gets closest to providing you with the tone you hear in your head?

    Depends on the tune but a Corsair often or My Trad PT

    Do you have any designs that you think might just be too much for the current market?
    Never! We are Schecter!
    Marc LaCorte - Vice President

  5. #125
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Rowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,320

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Okay I got another one for you guys.

    How do you choose who does your graphic design, both web and print?(catalogues, direct mail, magazine advertisements etc).

    Do you keep it in-house, hire one or more advertising firms or search out and hire particular artists and designers that you enjoy?

  6. #126
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,844

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    One example that's near & dear is a particular Duncan Designed pickup. When I purchased the guitar, I checked the pickups and found that the neck pickup matched neither the specs published for that guitar by Schecter, nor the specs published on Duncan's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCschecterPres View Post
    Regarding the pickups, that is probably more for Evan... but IMO I think the Duncan Designed pickups are very consisitant,
    The Duncan Designed stuff is very consistent. If what you had was an HB-103, it should have the following D. C. Resistance: Neck 8.13K, Bridge 17.08K. If what you got was significantly off (+/- 5%) from that specification, I'd like to know more about it. You can PM me with the details.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  7. #127
    Mojo's Minions KeeperOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,874

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by MCschecterPres View Post
    FYI the 2010 C-1 CUSTOM will have an ebony fingerboard!
    That is GREAT news (well, not so good for my poor wallet but I really wanted another, GOOD Floyd guitar and well, a C-1 with passives is a no-brainer for me!)

    And I do understand what you say about the quality of the factories.
    It has been my experience with Schecter that consistency and quality clearly was a prime concern. IMO you guys are on the right track and believe you me, us players DO notice.
    That's why you're growing stronger in guitarist's consciences every year and that's why I see you having a great future were you to continue that road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

  8. #128
    HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Potsdam, NY
    Age
    60
    Posts
    7,882

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Having not had a hands-on with a recent PT, I'll ask how the Super Rock II pickups compare to "normal" (i.e. Duncan) models we can relate to? Are they real hot, vintage voiced, what's the magnet type, etc.

    I, for one believe a PT with a 59 set is a thing of beauty.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens


    "I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

  9. #129
    DLT
    Guest

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    MCschecterPres,
    Hello and thank you for coming to the SDUGF to answer our questions. (excuse me a second...I have to go flip my opossum on the grill, I will be right back)

    Okay...my questions are this:
    1. Where does the Schecter guitar company purchase their woods for building guitars?
    2. Are the woods aged naturally, or do you speed dry the woods in a special room for that purpose?

  10. #130
    King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,066

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    The Duncan Designed stuff is very consistent. If what you had was an HB-103, it should have the following D. C. Resistance: Neck 8.13K, Bridge 17.08K. If what you got was significantly off (+/- 5%) from that specification, I'd like to know more about it. You can PM me with the details.
    I think what he's referring to is that the neck SH-6n is 12k, and the HB-103n is 8.13k.

    Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

    https://www.azyoungvoters.org


    Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

  11. #131
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Okay I got another one for you guys.

    How do you choose who does your graphic design, both web and print?(catalogues, direct mail, magazine advertisements etc).

    Do you keep it in-house, hire one or more advertising firms or search out and hire particular artists and designers that you enjoy?

    we do all of our designs, ads, catalog layouts, guitar graphics IN HOUSE!
    we are very proud of that too.
    I think our catalog each year is one, if not the best in the business.... and it is not your standard guitar catalog.... usually a theme.

    Bryan Wickman is our graphic designer and he is amazing. We do have some very creatiive people here... and we are in the middle of our 2010 catalog now.

    Also ... all of our photography is also done in house.
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  12. #132
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by DLT View Post
    MCschecterPres,
    Hello and thank you for coming to the SDUGF to answer our questions. (excuse me a second...I have to go flip my opossum on the grill, I will be right back)

    Okay...my questions are this:
    1. Where does the Schecter guitar company purchase their woods for building guitars?
    2. Are the woods aged naturally, or do you speed dry the woods in a special room for that purpose?
    Our custom shop wood is purchased from severl area 'brokers' ... basically guys who pull up here in a truck and show my custom shop manager, Shigeki Aoshima different pieces of exotic woods.

    There are a few places that we order from (North East and Canda) they would know we can count on for quality 5A maple too.

    Most of the wood is naturally dried, though we are looking at a drying system for our expansion
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  13. #133
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Having not had a hands-on with a recent PT, I'll ask how the Super Rock II pickups compare to "normal" (i.e. Duncan) models we can relate to? Are they real hot, vintage voiced, what's the magnet type, etc.

    I, for one believe a PT with a 59 set is a thing of beauty.
    Our Superrock pickups on our custom shop guitars are NOT really hot ... sort of a mid-output with a lot of clarity.

    wow... I am not sure what Duncan I would compare it too ... reminds me more of a Tom Anderson H2 ... who used to work at Schecter in the early days
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  14. #134
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    The Hellcat VI was already mentioned in this thread, but I'd like to bring it up again. I know it's much more than a doom-metal downtune machine, but I'm intensely interested in using it as a doom metal downtune machine. Have there been thoughts of, say, jumbo-frets, active HBs in place of the minis, making it more pointy/evil etc., or is that the sort of thing I'd have to get through the custom shop?

  15. #135
    Lewguitar
    Guest

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Hi Guys, Since Shector started off making Strat and Teles style guitars and you've been doing this for so long, I'm wondering what you've discovered in terms of weight and grain and what to look for in body wood and neck wood to consistantly turn out predictably toneful guitars. Have you found woods you like the sound of even better than light weight alder, swamp ash, maple and rosewood? Thanks! Lew

  16. #136
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Re-Posted from page 1:

    Is David Schecter still involved with the company? If so, on what level?




    no ... David sold out a LONG time ago. Not sure what he does now. From what I was told by one of the origanal 4 owners.... they decided on the name SCHECTER because it was the best sounding of their 4 names!

    fyi ... his last name was Blankenship ... so there you go!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  17. #137
    Ultimate Tone Member MarcSchecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    @scandoslav

    oddly enough, this guitar was never meant for doom-metal at all! it was completely made for the that signature Cure sound.. Think every lead on Disintegration especially Pictures of You. Also popular for surf music in its day as well as used by Clapton and Joe Perry, the Fender variation that is.

    But who knows.. maybe a limited version is possible..
    or better yet check out our 8 string if you really want to bring the doom!
    Marc LaCorte - Vice President

  18. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    (Forgot to add 24 frets to Doom Hellcat VI (Doomcat VI?) wishlist.)

    And speaking of 24, have you guys dabbled with the idea of a short-scale guitar? I'm particularly fond of 24" scale, but see that you primarily work with 24.75 or above.

    Thanks.

  19. #139
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by scandoslav View Post
    The Hellcat VI was already mentioned in this thread, but I'd like to bring it up again. I know it's much more than a doom-metal downtune machine, but I'm intensely interested in using it as a doom metal downtune machine. Have there been thoughts of, say, jumbo-frets, active HBs in place of the minis, making it more pointy/evil etc., or is that the sort of thing I'd have to get through the custom shop?
    wow ... so not what I was thinking that instrument would be used for. I would think you could use a lighter guage stirng... and still benifit for the 30" scale. Putting a set of Active Seymour BLACKOUTs would probably give you the attack and tone you wanted....

    we do also make some pretty 'metal-looking' 8-strings!

    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

  20. #140
    Ultimate Tone Member MCschecterPres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Schecter Guitar Research

    Quote Originally Posted by scandoslav View Post
    (Forgot to add 24 frets to Doom Hellcat VI (Doomcat VI?) wishlist.)

    And speaking of 24, have you guys dabbled with the idea of a short-scale guitar? I'm particularly fond of 24" scale, but see that you primarily work with 24.75 or above.

    Thanks.
    we could do this for you in our custom shop ... but I think the shorter scale may throw our Korean buddies for a loop!
    Michael Ciravolo
    President
    Schecter Guitar Research
    www.schecterguitars.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •