X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series - Rick Turner / Rick Turner Guitars

Originally posted by MikeRocker View Post
    Thanks for doing this, Rick!

If I remember correctly, the pickup on the Model 1 rotates - how did you come up with that idea, and what does it do for the sound? And is it motorized?

No motors! And yes, it rotates to about 45 degrees either way from 90 to the strings. The idea has several bases...yes, to be able to change the angle at which the pickup intersects the stringt, but also on the original Model 1s, removing the pivot screw allowed fairly easy backing out of the pickup to give access to the truss rod nut. I've subsequently move the truss rod access up to the peghead, thanks to modern truss rod designs that do not require a large access cavity in the peghead...one of the contributing factors to broken Gibson pegheads.

The pickup cavity also provides access to the upper bout, bass side for a pickup blend or pickup switch on those instruments that get that, and also the channel for the leads from an optional piezo bridge or second magnetic pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
      Hi Rick!

This thread has been a great read so far!!

Who is your biggest guitar influence?
      Who would you most like to jam with?
      Where do you go when you need to relax and have quiet time???
      Going way back, my first big influence was Leadbelly, then Ramblin' Jack Elliot, of all people, who induced me to use a flatpick.

Jam with...well I wouldn't want to be too out of my league, frankly. I now play out several times a year as a member of the revolving Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz house band doing about an hour's set on three rehearsals. The music is as eclectic as you can possibly imagine. We got together last night and of the songs we "put on the table" we had a lot of fun jamming on James Brown's "Sex Machine", "Brazil", der Moritat von Mackie Messer (the original Mack the Knife), and the "Banana Boat Song"...how's that for eclectic? I was playing uke, may play some guitar when the set list is done. Bill Walker is playing guitar and Weissenborn, Peter Thomas uke and harmonica, Nancy Le Van may play some guitar and will sing, and Eliza James will be singing. This will probably be the only time we all play together, and that's part of the whole trip. So that's the kind of stuff I do.

Relax...well out on the water is one place that I want to spend more time. I'm joining the local rowing club and we can row out onto Monterey Bay with dolphins, sea lions, sea otters, and whales. I used to sail as a kid, and my 14 year old has a sailboat now, so when I get down to San Diego to see him, sailing is part of the whole trip.

And playing music with pals...the uke club band, others, and I want to get back to going to at least one music camp every summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Hi Rick. Welcome to the SDUGF. I haven't read all the questions and answers so you may/may not have been asked this.

What is your all-time favorite acoustic guitar and why?
        My all time favorite would be a 12 fret 000 sized Howe Orme. It is incredibly responsive, has a unique tone that sort of half way between a really great OM and a '28 L-5. My friend Henry Kaiser has the guitar right now but I need to visit it!

The guitar I most often play is one I built a few years ago that has a lot of power and really good sustain of the harmonics. It's more versatile than the Howe Orme and it's got a pickup in it (a Timberline).

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
          Hey Rick, its really awesome to have you here.

Have you ever been in the shop working on something and one of those huge "Oh crap!!" moments where you realized you just did something really really bad, royally screwed it up? Ive built a couple of guitars and i know ive had those moments all too often. Just wondering if it still happens to the pros, lol.

Thanks again
          The "Oh, crap!" moments usually come with finish work...the rub through on a 'burst, the spot that lifts, the section that doesn't rub out well, the fresh gold top spray with the zit in it that needs to be sanded and sprayed again for the fifth time.

I'm at the point where it doesn't happen much in the actual building; it's the finish details that drive me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by darnright View Post
            Hi Rick...Just got home so this may be on the table...was there ever a moment when you thought..."Oh Man, I am never going to make a living doing this" ? and second, was there ever a moment when you said.."Wow!!! I made it. I can do this!"? Just curious. Thanks for being a part of this, we really enjoy your life's work and all you taking the time to answer our questions.

-dave
            You call this a living!

I still struggle with it every day, and the past couple of years have been anything but financially easy. I'm in a weird space...no longer a one man shop, but not a real manufacturer either. I'm thankful that we do make as many different instruments as we do as the orders come in waves. I would love more stability in it all, though, but I don't think that's in the cards for us in the USA in 2009.

But, yes, I do know that my skills are pretty high, my energy level is good, and that I can still have fun with it all.

Comment

hey Rick, before you leave, what kind of wood (for the top,sides,back,neck, and fingerboard) would you suggest for a great all around (finger style and with a pick) acoustic guitar?

I'm thinking something with flamed koa sides would be great.

Comment

I'd like to thank you Rick for spending time with us today. This forum has really benefited from your knowledge and experience and your willingness to share them both with us.

For those of you who don't already know, Rick is partners with Seymour, Cathy Duncan, Kevin Beller and myself in D-TAR. And I'm proud to call Rick a friend as well.

Also, thanks goes to all of you who participated in today's discussion. I hope you found it interesting, educational and fun.

Tone4days, I don't know how you do it, but you won this week's prize... again. PM sent. (It's a Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Humidifier).

We're not going to have a Guest Luthier next week. We'll start on an every-other-week schedule.

Thanks again, Rick. And thanks again to all of you.
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Re: Guest Luthier Series - Rick Turner / Rick Turner Guitars

Hi Rick, thank you for doing this.

1. What active guitarist would you like to work with today, and why?

2. What (or who) do you like in today's music scene as a whole? what don't you like?

Comment

Thanks Rick, and thank you to Evan and the crew for making it happen!

Edit : How awesome is it that Jol Dantzig showed up today! Having him and Rick in the same question period was wicked.
                    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by Got_tone? View Post
                      hey Rick, before you leave, what kind of wood (for the top,sides,back,neck, and fingerboard) would you suggest for a great all around (finger style and with a pick) acoustic guitar?

I'm thinking something with flamed koa sides would be great.
                      One of my best acoustics had a Russian spruce top with highly figured koa back and sides. It got an Editors' Pick from Guitar Player Magazine when they reviewed it. It had a bit of that dry quality of mahogany and a lot of dynamic range.

I'm still a sucker for the really dense and stiff rosewoods, though. Cambodian, Honduran, Brazilian, and good Cocobolo matched with spruce on a larger guitar, cedar on a smaller one. A lot depends more specifically on your style. The hard rosewoods lend a more reverberant sound to the guitar while softer woods with higher damping may make fast runs easier with less run-on from note to note. Clarence White favored his mahogany D-18 for lead work, but his D-28 for backup and rhythm for a fuller sound. He knew instinctively what guitar worked for what style.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
                        Hi Rick, thank you for doing this.

1. What active guitarist would you like to work with today, and why?

2. What (or who) do you like in today's music scene as a whole? what don't you like?
                        Without a doubt, Sonny Landreth. He's one of the nicest guys in the world, his tone is just incredible, and his simultaneous lead and rhythm work is beyond comprehension. Check out his YouTube videos.

Here's one:
                        An incredible solo performance by Sonny from a Guitar Instructional video.

My sorrow with the scene today is how destroyed the record business has become. Not that there weren't plenty of good reasons not to want change, but "the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater" and new artists aren't getting the support from companies OR the public that expects musicians to record and put out music for free and then the fans stay home and don't support live acts.

My joy is the more homemade music, the pretty healthy folk scene with festivals and music camps, and my friends who persevere making music an important part of their daily lives.

Music should be something we do, not consume...

Comment

Hey, thanks all.

My fingers are tired! I haven't typed this much in one day in eons...

Do come on over to the D-TAR Forum and check in with my guitar company site from time to time; it's constantly changing and we're trying to upgrade it weekly.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X