No announcement yet.

Seth lovers vs. Antiquity (humbuckers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth lovers vs. Antiquity (humbuckers)

The only reason I ask is because in the UK there's a bigger price difference between the Seths and the Antiquities, converted back into dollars it works out as:

Seths - $286 (exc P+P)
    Antiquities - $324 (exc P+P)

But the general feeling is that Seths are great and Antiquities are amazing?

I was considering getting the Seths just so I could hear what a PAF sounds like from brand new - I don't mind waiting 40years for the worn in sound of the Antiquities haha.

Comment

That's a 12% difference in price. IMHO the difference in sound and feel is much more than that.

Comment

I have both and they sound great. But, in a 335, I prefer the Antiquity.
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by lewguitar View Post
          the seth lover is like jedi knight luke skywalker

the antiquity is like jedi master yoda.
          +1
          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Clapton'sGreenChili View Post
            Okay, i can't decide, i want to hear your opinions on their sounds, fire away

EXTRA questions: which set sounds thicker (more bass)?, how much do the inconsistencies in the DC resistance between antiquity sets make a difference? which pickup has a warmer overdrive sound (more open, less scratchy and compressed)?

does anybody here use either set in a 335 style guitar or with the subdecay liquid sunshine or MHP 72 degrees pedals? how do they sound in these situations?

how do they sound with a classic fender tube amp?

how do they sound with an eminence rajun cajun speaker?

how do they sound with a fender super champ xd amp?
            I run a set of Antiquitys in a Gibson 1960 Classic.
            Threw a Marshall DSL 100,Fender Blues DeVille, Fender Blues Jr.
            They are all different animals..
            I also run an Epiphone LP Custom with a JB at the bridge and a 59er at the neck..
            Another whole ball of wax so to speak..
            Would never part with any at this time..
            But my Classic LP is a great Rock and Blues Guitar.
            The Eppi with the JB and 59er is a nastier sounding Rock Guitar..
            For background, I am mainly into Classic Rock tones based in Blues and Blues based in Rock and Jazz..
            Somehow, they all fall into the same lovely pit..
            It Works..
            Last edited by D.Dailey; 10-16-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Can the Antiquity bridge pickup be ordered in zebra color and wax potted

Comment

That might be question for the custom shop (not sure if potting options are available on the shop floor). But I think the answer is yes, one way or another, it can be done. Not until the stay home order is lifted, however.

Comment

Ants have weaker magnets and a little bit heavier of a wind. They are about the same output as Seths, but with a warmer e.q. If you want the most warmth, go with Ants. If you want the most clarity, go with Seths. Or you can mix and match (just order your Ant non-aged so it matches the fresh looking Seth).

I prefer Seths. Brighter wind, pushed harder by the magnet, is more up my alley than a darker wind, pushed less by the magnet.

All that being said, both pickups are really in the same neighborhood, in the grand scheme of things, so I'm splitting hairs. But if you want the one with more warmth by a little bit, go with the Ants.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-06-2020, 01:45 AM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                    I believe it can. While the Custom Shop is shut down right now, they will answer your questions.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                      I believe those have traditionally been within the realm of Shop Floor Custom options. However, IIRC, there might have been some recent changes that reduce what options are available as SFC, and move them to Custom Shop options only. I don't remember exactly what the changes were, but potted or unpotted being axed as SFC seems to ring a bell. But my brain/memory is spotty on this issue. Best to ask this question through an official Duncan retailer, as they are the ones who would have to place the SFC order for you.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

if it was anything but an antiquity, id say shop floor custom, but duncan has always been picky about the antiquity line and didnt allow changes without going full custom shop. not sure if that has changed

Comment

Working...
                        X