This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Matt Artinger

In that case, a follow-up question would have to be... which would you say is the most absurd of all those ideas?

Comment

Hi Matt! Welcome. Love the Nub Chopper. I'm a big fan of Explorer/V shapes. Love the P90 touch. Any plans for some ponty guitars?
      Aint no pro but I know what I like....
      Guitar to sound output:
      Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Hmmm......Mr Wolf---I'd have to say that my craziest that never came to fruition was actually from a client that was a big KISS fan...he always loved Ace Frehley's 3 pickup les paul that shot smoke out of the center pickup, and wanted me to incorporate something similar....I couldn't bring myself to do it! (although i wanted to...Haa,haa!)

Comment

Hey BTMN!

Thank you SO much, and YES...actually, I just finished an 'explorerbird' hybrid for one of my clients Steve Kimock, who primarily plays explorers, It's an explorer shape, with a stairstep body like the firebird, and a reverse firebird headstock! pointy guitars are rare for me, but a fun departure from the norm!

Comment

welcome

happy to have a chance to learn from your sharing of knowledge and experience

what is the question to which the answer is "well, clearly, the only choice is a custom guitar by matt artinger." ?

how do you differentiate yourself from your contemporaries like thorn, mcnaught, huber, solloway, etc.

best of luck and much continued success

cheers
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Hey T4D

Thank you, and hope that we can all share a few ideas today!

We all have our own approaches, and from my view, we ALL are very good at what we do, but my approach differs in the fact that I enjoy never making the same guitar twice. Every client has a different personality and a different fingerprint of sorts, and I love the process of working with each individual to 'tailor' the guitar to their needs and tastes...this keeps me on my toes as a builder, and keeps my instruments evolving. I never got scared into making 'standard models with standard options'....life is waaay to short to build the same guitar twice!

Comment

Hey Matt!

as I come across more "custom" builders, I'm always surprised by something about he guitars that represents the 'core' of their line. something about the guitar that really says what the builder is about. And while anyone could want one of these guitars (yours or anyones) their seems to be a 'core' customer that is attracted to them - the type of person who appreciates the core elements of the guitar.

What do you feel are the 'core' elements of your builds, the things that make your guitars uniquely yours, and who is it you think these things appeal to, as customers?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Artinger View Post
                  life is waaay to short to build the same guitar twice!
                  Love it!
                  Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                  Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Matt,

Really cool of you to be here, man. I've been a fan of your work for years since I saw the Artinger Martin.

Are you still repairing, or strictly building these days?

Any advice on those who are warranty certified (I'm the process with Martin, at the moment. As well as Fender)

What's your favorite way to seat frets?

Bullnosed or regular beveled fret ends?

Favorite tool in the shop?

Least favorite tool?

Most underrated tool?

Most overrated tool?

What's the sound you were aiming for with the Artinger Martin?

Coolest guitar you've ever worked on?

Bone, Fossilized Walrus Ivory, Fossilized Mammoth Ivory, Graphite, Corin, Tusq, or something else for bone and saddle material?

Any tricks of the trade you'd like to share to us fellow builders? Especially us young 'uns.

-Dustin
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Hi Matt, I'm not familiar with your work so how would you describe your philosophy and how your guitars are different.

How many guitars have you made so far?

Thanks for taking time to be here!

Comment

Hi there Matt! Have you ever considered any alternatives to wood? Or does the tooling and materials really prevent that sort of design experimentation? How about 13 pin midi guitars?
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hey Aceman!

That IS a great question. I'd say the CORE element of my guitars is the focus on performance, playability and working to make the guitar a perfect 'fit' for a client. I know it may sound cliche', but I've never been big on outrageous looking woods, and although I still use them, I mainly gravitate to mahogany, which is SUCH a dynamic wood to use for a chambered or hollow electric instrument, and i think that in a world where curb appeal gets the most attention, I pay primary attention to what's INSIDE the house first and foremost....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Artinger View Post
                            Hey BTMN!

Thank you SO much, and YES...actually, I just finished an 'explorerbird' hybrid for one of my clients Steve Kimock, who primarily plays explorers, It's an explorer shape, with a stairstep body like the firebird, and a reverse firebird headstock! pointy guitars are rare for me, but a fun departure from the norm!

Any photos? Sounds very cool. Ever seen John Entwhistle's FenderBird? I have a cool looking late 70s Mighty Mite Explorer body that has had an all Maple Hamer Daytona, think strat, neck on it. Adds a unique look to the Explorer shape.
                            Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                            Guitar to sound output:
                            Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Hey Beandip!

Ok....here goes ;-)...
                              I am still repairing, but have scaled back somewhat over the past few years.

As for advice tot a warranty repairman....we all have our own ways of doing things, but it's important to strictly adhere to the way the company wants you to repair an instrument, even if it makes you gnash your teeth at times ;-)

I'm waayy old school with frets....a weighted copper mallet, a sandbag, and some fortitude...I've done it this way for so long that I can plow through a fret job fairly rapidly with no problem, and as for fret ends...bullnosed for sure! Much cleaner and classier, and shows that you pay attention to detail.

Fave tool in my shop---my smallest fingerplane cuz it's cute, and can really nail the detail in my cutaways.

Least fave--my pin router...i thought i'd use it a heck of alot more than I do, but i'm stubborn in my ways!

Most underrated tool---a SHARP set of chiesels....the sharper, the safer, and more precise

Most overrated tool----CNC...not going to lie..I employ one, but as a computer dunce, I enjoy torturing myself by still doing most things by hand...if you're a computer whiz...go for it, but it's a tool I've wanted to trebuchet over my mountain many times in frustration......
                              As for the Martin, I've really been struck at how additional soundports can open up the voice of an instrument, so additional volume was the key

Coolest guitars I've ever worked on were a 54 fender 4 neck lap steel formerly belonging to Jerry Garcia, and One of Jerry's later Cripe guitars.

As for nut and saddle material, I would choose ivory over anything, but considering the ramifications of ivory, Dense high quality bone is a safe bet, but it has to be high quality

As for tricks of the trade-----don't be afraid to experiment....the worst thing that can happen is that your experiment doesn't turn out the way you wanted....also, don't get too emotionally attatched to one particular guitar....you'll build plenty more where that one came from!

Comment

Hey Guitarsandwich!

I've pretty much laid out my primary philosophy towards guitar design and building above, and it mainly focuses arounf tailoring each instrument to it's owner so it matches the owner's style and personality. As for number of guitars, I'm just above 500 at this point

Comment

Working...
                                X