This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Matt Artinger

BTMN....e-mail me later and I'll scare up some pics for you!

Comment

so matt... my local luthier school(john marshalls) is now offering loans again! im crazy excited because ive alwyas been the guy to fix my friends guitar sand ive done a build or two myself. and oh what a dream itd be to do that for a living!

but my question to you is this...is getting certified worth it? John marshalls is 15k for 11 weeks. and from what ive read about theyre a very good school. I just cant decide..I mean, its either two years of college and a luthier certification, or 4 years of college.

Comment

Hi Mincer!

In short....you nailed it on the head...absolutely, and I think new alternatives, like what flaxwood guitars have employed are amazing, but there needs to be an enormous investment in tooling to do such a thing...I shudder to think how much Ken Parker needed to raise to start his Parker Fly line in the 90's!
        As for 13 pin guitars....Yes...I've made several!

Comment

Hey Kevin!

In my opinion, and my opinion only, the certification itself isn't worth much...it's the experience learned during the program, and the continued real world experience you'll learn after schooling in a live shop setting....there's no great substitute for time spent at the bench and learning how to think on your feet with repairs.....it'll come my friend!!!

Comment

Thanks! Will do.
            Aint no pro but I know what I like....
            Guitar to sound output:
            Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Also Kevin---

Repairs give you a GREAT insight into instrument making as well if you choose to pursue that too. By seeing so many guitars from the inside out, you'll get a better vision of what other companies have done right or wrong, and how you'd incorporate elements into your own guitars..

Comment

yeah i agree with that. I guess ive just had no luck finding anyone in georgia that i can understudy.

i might end up doing it just for the experience. plus i will get to make 3 guitars and i will get a lot of tools and motivation for sure.

are you certified? and from what school?

Comment

and how old are? im 19 so i know i have a lot of time, but i see it as a lot of time im missing out on building guitars if i dont exaclty know how to get a quality build you know?

Comment

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the SDUGF. I'll be honest, this is the first time I've ever heard of your guitars but I like the look of them. Very beautiful instruments.

Since you grew up so close to the Martin facilities and worked with them, I have to ask, out of all of the Martin guitars, aside from the one you designed with them, which is your favorite and why?

My favorite is the D-28 (which I own) or HD-28.

Thanks,
                    Erik

Comment

Hello,

What is your favorite acoustic body shape and wood combo.
                      Also, have you ever used padauk wood?

Thanks

Comment

Kevin--

I did go to Red Wing Tech in minnesota and did get certified in guitar restoration and repair, but it still was more of an 'idealistic' environment, and didn't teach me nearly as much as the real world scenarios I learned afterward. Maybe you can do a bit more research into an apprecticeship with someone out of state?

I'm 32 btw...but got my feet wet for REAL for the first time when I was your age.....so sky's the limit, and as long as you're determined, you'll get there....I think alot of why I really succeeded so young was stubborn determination actually, haa,haa!!

Comment

Hi Erik!
                          Thanks so much and I'm glad we're getting the chance to chat, and that I'm getting a chance to introduce you to my instruments!

Hmm...my favorite martin....I'd have to say an OM-42 would be my fave...I've always gravitated to orchestra models over dreadnaughts ;-)

Comment

Hi Firebird!
                            Back to the acoustic shape--I'd say the OM hands down, and although it's exceedingly rare (i have just a few sets and am sitting on them like fort knox) Brazilian rosewood back and sides and adirondack top......built with hide glue like the martin authentic series....that would be godly!

Comment

Firebird---as for padauk...YES..I have used it on some of my earlier basses, but have never incorporated it into a guitar....the main frustration with padauk is the way it tends to 'bleed' into lighter woods when sanded or hit with solvent....It has some pretty potent color!!!!

Comment

There is tons of debate over what has the largest influence on the sound of an instrument, but in your opinion, on a traditional solid body guitar, what has more of an impact on tone, the neck and fretboard or the body? I like most people have always thought the body but as I have researched this more I am starting to wonder if the neck is not equally or even more important..

Also obviously you use very high grade materials, what makes timber good tonewood?

Thanks
                                Mike
                                Anything I post is based on first hand experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X