Ernie Ball/D'Addario users.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ernie Ball/D'Addario users.....

[QUOTE=arellanon;2335885I have 7 guitars but my two Carvins get 90% of the playtime. So I have my TL60 with D'Addario XLs in 09-42 gauge strung to Eb while my ST300 is running on Ernie Ball 08-38s and strung to standard.
    [/QUOTE]

You have one guitar that uses 9-42's tuned to Eb and another that uses 8-38's tuned to standard A-440? 8-32's are like rubber bands anyway. I used 8-38's one time. That was way back when I found out Albert Lee was using them. Later on, I found out he is now using 10 -46 EB RPS.

Honestly, you're not really doing yourself any favors by using such a light set. You really sacrifice tone the lighter the gauge you use. I have seen players use 12's (SRV did) in their Telecasters and Les Pauls and the tone was huge. I used 11-52's in my Les Paul and use 10-46's in my Telecaster and EBMM Steve Morse guitar. Personally, if you can get used to it, move to a higher gauge. I know that really wasn't the focus of your thread; but I saw an opportunity.
    -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
      Honestly, you're not really doing yourself any favors by using such a light set. You really sacrifice tone the lighter the gauge you use.
      Really Butch? I just don't see/hear it. Can you please explain how this is possible?
      Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
      Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
      You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
        I have no idea why, but my guitars flat out refuse to let me string them with GHS Boomers.
        I don't think you're missing anything, dude. I used to use these, but much prefer Power Slinkys or Beefy Slinkys, and I prefer those over DRs, Dean Markley, other GHS, etc. It's been a long time since I played D'Addario's, though, so I can't really comment on them.

Comment

I started using the XL 10s on my strat. It came new with them & I liked the goofy multi-colored ball ends. I only tune to standard E. I bought a set of the Elixir nanoweb 10s when the guitar shop was out of XLs. What a revelation. Great strings, great sound, great feel. Wow. The cost is an eye-opener, but worth every penny in my book. The greatest thing to happen to a guitar string since Stevie Ray. I don't notice any difference in "bendability" between the 2 but I didn't expect any since they are the same guage.

I tried a set of EB slinky 9s (didn't know there were different flavors so I only recognize them as slinkies) to see if they would be easier to bend. The guitar shop only had the EBs in 9s so that's what I got. They are MUCH easier to bend than 10s but the tone is weaker. I think significantly. It also requires adjusting the action for sloppier strings. Higher action but easier bends. To be fair the slinkies played quite well. They felt good - maybe even a bit better than the Elixirs, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to the smaller diameters. They did go flat quicker than the XLs and MUCH quicker the Elixirs. In the end I went back to the Elixir nanoweb 10s. These are the best strings on the planet in my book.

I have also used round core strings on my acoustic. I went to them specifically to reduce the string tension. I tried a brand called Newtons (I think). They are a British string. They do indeed have a much lower tension. They claim a tension approximately equal to an electric string (The Newtons were 9s vs 10s on the electric). I have a little arthritis & I'm not able to play the acoustic with hex core strings so I gave the Newtons a try. Based on my experience with these strings I agree that round core strings should be much easier to bend than the hex core strings with good tone & reasonable life. I'm not sure who makes round core electric strings - maybe only DR. But it would definitely be worth looking for if "bendability" is your goal.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by arellanon View Post
            Really Butch? I just don't see/hear it. Can you please explain how this is possible?
            It's basically physics (and I'm not an expert). Bigger string gauges mean louder response and more mass through which the sound can be carried. Also, you can hit the strings harder without them sounding out of tune. Now, I have a fairly light touch and through 8's might be fine. Oh, I could bend the heck out of them; but the tone and volume just wasn't there. Some folks, however, say they get they get their tone from the amp and their strings aren't a factor. I say differently. Also, experience is the best seller. try a heavier gauge and allow yourself to get used to the heavier feel. The tone difference is there; that is, unless your tone is so "gained-out" that it doesn't matter anyway....
            -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
              It's basically physics (and I'm not an expert). Bigger string gauges mean louder response and more mass through which the sound can be carried. Also, you can hit the strings harder without them sounding out of tune. Now, I have a fairly light touch and through 8's might be fine. Oh, I could bend the heck out of them; but the tone and volume just wasn't there. Some folks, however, say they get they get their tone from the amp and their strings aren't a factor. I say differently. Also, experience is the best seller. try a heavier gauge and allow yourself to get used to the heavier feel. The tone difference is there; that is, unless your tone is so "gained-out" that it doesn't matter anyway....
              I agree with more mass and being able to hit the strings harder with less "flop". But I still don't hear myself any better with heavier gauge strings, I rarely hit the strings hard, and I don't play with heavy distortion at all. I guess because I use so much vibrato?

And I totally agree with you; strings should factor in on your tone. After all, that is why there are so many different gauges and manufacturers scrambling to sell their own sets.

Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
              Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
              You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

-> to Butch

Oh, and btw, I have heard your stuff on you MySpace and really like it. I'm definitely not trying to pick a fight with someone who has a definite edge on me musically so I apologize if I came through as a problem child, lol.

I see that your responses stem from years of experience so maybe it's just a matter of time before I too find new and different things/tricks.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know man. Billy Gibbons says he uses 8s and he squeezes some pretty good tone out of them. I think Ymgwie said he uses 8s as well and his tone doesnt suck.
                  Originally posted by bluesbend
                  Nothing like a cat with big balls! Especially when he starts spraying scent all over the house!

Comment

There are lots of artists out there who use light-as-hell strings and get great tone, but if you're talking about the Rev and Yngwie... you're talking both about players who have spent years mastering their craft and who play with lost of gain.

I used to buy Ernie Balls but I shied away from them after trying both D'Addario and DRs. I don't remember being disappointed with EBs at all, I think I likely had them before I really started getting to a point I would call good. DRs and D'Addario are tied with the best feel for me, with GHS being the worst. I think I'll have to try another set oF EBs and maybe some of them Elixirs.
                    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                    • G&L Tribute Comanche
                    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                      There are lots of artists out there who use light-as-hell strings and get great tone, but if you're talking about the Rev and Yngwie... you're talking both about players who have spent years mastering their craft and who play with lost of gain.

I used to buy Ernie Balls but I shied away from them after trying both D'Addario and DRs. I don't remember being disappointed with EBs at all, I think I likely had them before I really started getting to a point I would call good. DRs and D'Addario are tied with the best feel for me, with GHS being the worst. I think I'll have to try another set oF EBs and maybe some of them Elixirs.
                      I don't think it matters what those two guys play on. They are going to kick ass on anything.
                      Originally posted by bluesbend
                      Nothing like a cat with big balls! Especially when he starts spraying scent all over the house!

Comment

-> to Butch

Oh, and btw, I have heard your stuff on you MySpace and really like it. I'm definitely not trying to pick a fight with someone who has a definite edge on me musically so I apologize if I came through as a problem child, lol.

I see that your responses stem from years of experience so maybe it's just a matter of time before I too find new and different things/tricks.
                        No worries, I didn't take any response as ill or anything. I think that, ultimately, you have to find what works best for you personally. There are so many variables that the physics thing I mention isn't even an absolute. You use whatever you can make work for you...

and thanks for the compliments....
                        -Butch

Comment

I have 7 guitars but my two Carvins get 90% of the playtime. So I have my TL60 with D'Addario XLs in 09-42 gauge strung to Eb while my ST300 is running on Ernie Ball 08-38s and strung to standard.

I somehow feel the Ernies with higher tension than the D'Addarios; I have much more control with bends and vibrato using the D'Addarios.

I would imagine that the tension for the two would be almost identical but I feel they are not.

Are D'Addarios more "slinky" than Ernie Ball "slinkies" for any given gauge is my question.....

You're using different gauges in different tunings. It would be hard for me to reach any conclusions

Comment

I have 7 guitars but my two Carvins get 90% of the playtime. So I have my TL60 with D'Addario XLs in 09-42 gauge strung to Eb while my ST300 is running on Ernie Ball 08-38s and strung to standard.

I somehow feel the Ernies with higher tension than the D'Addarios; I have much more control with bends and vibrato using the D'Addarios.

I would imagine that the tension for the two would be almost identical but I feel they are not.

Are D'Addarios more "slinky" than Ernie Ball "slinkies" for any given gauge is my question.....

Dude!!! Man up & put some real strings on those guitars!! (Just kidding) 8's & 9's are way to light for me. I use 11's on electrics & 13's on acoustics. I use mostly D'adarrio XL 115's (11 thru 49) but just recently I used a set of Jim Dunlop strings (11 thru 50). I have these on one of my Strats and so far I like them quite a bit. I would say give them a try.

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                              You're using different gauges in different tunings. It would be hard for me to reach any conclusions
                              You are right, but to me the D'Addarios feel more "slinky" than the Ernie Balls at 09-42 (I had those on before the D'Addarios) that is why I find it odd that the 08s feel stronger than the 09s tuned to Eb, lol.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                                Dude!!! Man up & put some real strings on those guitars!! (Just kidding) 8's & 9's are way to light for me. I use 11's on electrics & 13's on acoustics. I use mostly D'adarrio XL 115's (11 thru 49) but just recently I used a set of Jim Dunlop strings (11 thru 50). I have these on one of my Strats and so far I like them quite a bit. I would say give them a try.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p.../strings&cat=5
                                I really, really can't imagine any advantage I would have playing with higher gauge strings; it is analogous to running on pavement barefoot in my mind!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X