Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ernie Ball/D'Addario users.....

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
    d'addario here. Cost-effective and the string tension works for me. Tone's good too. No complaints.
    +1.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Do your guitars have different scale lengths? I recently switched from Ernie Ball to D'Addario on my instruments.
      Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
        Do your guitars have different scale lengths? I recently switched from Ernie Ball to D'Addario on my instruments.
        They are both 25 in scale.
        Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
        Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
        Originally posted by Funkfingers
        Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
        You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

In my experience the guitar has alot to do with the tension of the string. Gibsons strung with the same guage string as a Fender will have a slinkier feel to it. I also used 8's at one time and went to 9's because it seemed like I didn't have as much sustain with 8's.

Jonathan Risen (jonathanrisen)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share.
          http://www.myspace.com/jonathanrisen

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisen View Post
            In my experience the guitar has alot to do with the tension of the string. Gibsons strung with the same guage string as a Fender will have a slinkier feel to it. I also used 8's at one time and went to 9's because it seemed like I didn't have as much sustain with 8's.

http://www.myspace.com/jonathanrisen
            Thats due to the difference in scale length mentioned earlier

Comment

D'Addario strings do run a little "looser" than some other brands I have tried. I have no actual reason why, so I have to assume it is in how they are made.

I went through a phase where I tried various brands, and just came back the Ds.

Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.

Larger gauge strings will definitely sound different, and that works better for some, and not so much for others. However, to say that someone has poor "tone" because they happen to run whatever gauge is misleading and just plain wrong.

Use the string that sounds best to you, and more of your natural tone will come through. I personally like 10s tuned down a half on 25.5" guitars, and 11s on short scales. However, some people pick up my guitar and don't understand how I play with "wet noodles".

What in the world did we all stress about before the internet?
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                D'Addario strings do run a little "looser" than some other brands I have tried. I have no actual reason why, so I have to assume it is in how they are made.

I went through a phase where I tried various brands, and just came back the Ds.

Larger gauge strings will definitely sound different, and that works better for some, and not so much for others. However, to say that someone has poor "tone" because they happen to run whatever gauge is misleading and just plain wrong.

Use the string that sounds best to you, and more of your natural tone will come through. I personally like 10s tuned down a half on 25.5" guitars, and 11s on short scales. However, some people pick up my guitar and don't understand how I play with "wet noodles".

What in the world did we all stress about before the internet?

Ayrton, I totally agree with you. The D'Addarios just seem a little more loose for, at least, the 09-42 gauge since I have tried both the Ernies and the D'Addarios at that gauge.

Most definitely, thicker gauges will sound different, not better per say. But they might; in fact, they do sound more powerful while really slamming down chords! I guess I need to play more rhythm and less lead, lol.

I did use 10-46 gauge for Eb for years, but recently my playing has been much more dynamic so I need more control over the strings; I use tons of vibrato and bend a lot so I can't be messing with heavier guages. It would be to my disadvantage.

ROFL! I need to add this to my signature! *high five*

Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
                You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

Who implied that?
                  -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                    Who implied that?
                    I think just a vibe in general from most guitarists since not too many play light.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arellanon View Post
                      I think just a vibe in general from most guitarists since not too many play light.
                      Most likely....

But, no one can refute that given the same guitar, with the same amp and settings, put a set of 8's on and strum a chord. Then put a set of 11's or 12's on and strum the same chord. There will be a noticeable difference in volume and tone. At least to my ears.....

I'm not trying to argue of demean anyone's point; this is just what my ears hear. The quickest string change I ever did was when I was using Ernie Ball 10's and I found out that Jerry Donahue used Ernie Ball Stainless Steel 9's. I bought a set. They were the most uncomfortable strings I ever played. very bright and tinny to my ears. They were rough on my fingers too...
                      -Butch

Comment

More than likely, the way the strings are made will have a huge effect on how they feel, even on the plain strings.

For example, material that is stretched while heated to the desired diameter will have a looser feel than material stretched while cold or at room temp due to the molecules in said material being heated and being loose.

If you're seriously interested in knowing why, both D'Addario and Ernie Ball have excellent customer service (I've dealt with them both many times) and I'm sure would have absolutely no problem answering any questions you might have.
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Most likely....

But, no one can refute that given the same guitar, with the same amp and settings, put a set of 8's on and strum a chord. Then put a set of 11's or 12's on and strum the same chord. There will be a noticeable difference in volume and tone. At least to my ears.....

I'm not trying to argue of demean anyone's point; this is just what my ears hear. The quickest string change I ever did was when I was using Ernie Ball 10's and I found out that Jerry Donahue used Ernie Ball Stainless Steel 9's. I bought a set. They were the most uncomfortable strings I ever played. very bright and tinny to my ears. They were rough on my fingers too...
                          Yes, a definite change in tone and volume, no doubt about that. And to your ears, this change is for the better. Interesting though, is the fact that you feel a set of 9s, a gauge down, started to make your fingers uncomfortable; similar is my experience with this D'Addario/Ernie Ball experience.

sigpic

Comment

D'Addario XL 10-52 in 24 3/4" and 25" scales, 10-46 in 25 1/2" scale.

D'Addario EXP 10-47 in acoustic guitar, D'Addario Ultra High Tension in acoustic nylon string guitar.

I guess I'm a D'Addario man, now that I think of it...

Comment

Originally posted by arellanon View Post
                              Yes, a definite change in tone and volume, no doubt about that. And to your ears, this change is for the better. Interesting though, is the fact that you feel a set of 9s, a gauge down, started to make your fingers uncomfortable; similar is my experience with this D'Addario/Ernie Ball experience.
                              True dat....
                              -Butch

Comment

True dat....
                                Fo sho....

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X