This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Michael Anderberg

As a small-volume builder, do you feel like the frame of reference of what works for an electric guitar is already set by G-word and F-word, and you have to consciously try to make your designs dissimilar to theirs?

As in, for example "a Stratocaster shape really is the best for what I want, but I have to consciously get away from that shape to create my own design niche"
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Hi Michael, fairly simple question (to ask anyway!): How do you go about selecting the ideal pickups for each instrument?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
        You tout your guitars as being "custom", are they truly custom guitars, or do you have set guidelines that are then customized to the customers desires? I have stock models but I can build anything you want...total custom.

Favorite tool in the shop? my routers

Least favorite tool in the shop?dust makers

Most underrated tool in the shop? 2 sided tape

Most overrated tool in the shop?

Best advice you ever received about being a luthier? Listen to the customer

What advice would you pass on?follow your dreams,and love what you do

Bone, Fossilized Mammoth Ivory, Walrus Ivory, or other? bone

Favorite wood combo?maple/mahog

Favorite customer? John Rainey

Least favorite customer (or experience)?none

Favorite build? I like them all

Least favorite build?
        none

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post

Sweet looking guitar. Willie right? Made any like this in Trans Amber or Clear?

The P90 guitar is rather tasty looking too. Bet one like that with a Trans Amber Quilt top would be incredible looking.
          Thanks!! It`s Wille named after my grandfather. Yes,I have one that has a burst finish.

Comment

let's try this instead ...

what would *you* like to talk about?
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Was Willie a guitar player/maker too?
              Cool!! I named one of my guitars after my mama. Gotta celebrate the one's ya love.

It took me a minute to notice you put the answers to Bean's questions in his quoting.
              Last edited by BTMN; 11-24-2009, 11:12 AM.
              Aint no pro but I know what I like....
              Guitar to sound output:
              Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                Hi Michael, fairly simple question (to ask anyway!): How do you go about selecting the ideal pickups for each instrument?

Cheers!
                I just go with what has always worked,and the customer likes an wants

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                  Was Willie a guitar player/maker too?
                  Cool!! I named one of my guitars after my mama. Gotta celebrate the one's ya love.

It took me a minute to notice you put the answers to Bean's questions in his quoting.
                  No, Wille was an artist

Comment

hey michael, nice to have you here.

how did you get into building guitars? was it the urge to try something new, the lack of certain choices currently available in the guitar world etc etc?

Second, have you ever had one of those "oh crap" moments when you are working on a guitar and realize you just screwed something up really badly? And if you dont mind sharing, what was it? I have built a couple of guitars myself and have had plenty of those moments.

Cheers
                    Grant
                    Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      do you have a tone in mind before you start building or do you "listen" to the wood and just try and bring out its best qualities?

the guitars in the pics are all double cutaways, do you prefer that type over a single cutaway? is it a tone thing or playability?
                      I always listen to every board I use...it has to have a good ring to it.
                      I`ve always liked double cuts and a neck thru design for playability
                      and sustain.

Comment

Michael:

Ever make acoustic guitars? Or other instruments?
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
                          hey michael, nice to have you here.

how did you get into building guitars? was it the urge to try something new, the lack of certain choices currently available in the guitar world etc etc?

Second, have you ever had one of those "oh crap" moments when you are working on a guitar and realize you just screwed something up really badly? And if you dont mind sharing, what was it? I have built a couple of guitars myself and have had plenty of those moments.

Cheers
                          Grant
                          Yes,I wanted something nobody else had and to incorporate everything I wanted in a guitar.
                          And yes...I`ve had plenty of oh crap moments...thats how you learn.
                          Still have them sometimes...I call them brain farts.I once cut the wrong body angle for the bridge I was using,and had to rout the entire top off.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                            Michael:

Ever make acoustic guitars? Or other instruments?
                            I have`nt made an acoustic yet but it`s in the plan.

Comment

Tell us about the moment, if you can recall, you fell in love with guitars.

First guitar player to make ya go WHOA!!!

Last band you saw live.
                              Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                              Guitar to sound output:
                              Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                                As a small-volume builder, do you feel like the frame of reference of what works for an electric guitar is already set by G-word and F-word, and you have to consciously try to make your designs dissimilar to theirs?

As in, for example "a Stratocaster shape really is the best for what I want, but I have to consciously get away from that shape to create my own design niche"
                                I like making my own shapes.Re-making an F-shape or G-shape seems pointless...there are so many of those shapes out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X