X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Michael Anderberg

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
    Tell us about the moment, if you can recall, you fell in love with guitars.

First guitar player to make ya go WHOA!!!

Last band you saw live.
    I fell in love with guitars when I was a kid
    in the 70`s.There were so many great players back then. Jimi Hendrix,Johnny Winter,Jimmy Page,Jeff Beck,Al Dimiola,ect,

Comment

Hi there Michael thank you for giving up your time to answer our questions.

I am facinated by how you go about sourcing top notch tone woods. How does a builder such as yourself start off with a load of timber, and then be able to know which bits would make a great instrument?

Many thanks

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf View Post
        Hi there Michael thank you for giving up your time to answer our questions.

I am facinated by how you go about sourcing top notch tone woods. How does a builder such as yourself start off with a load of timber, and then be able to know which bits would make a great instrument?

Many thanks

Jeff
        If I buy wood locally,I usually hand pick my boards to whatever part i`m trying to make.My necks are made up of several laminated boards,so I look for flatsawn lumber for my neck section...that way it will be quartersawn
        when I turn it on edge and glue it up.My bodywings,I try to find quarter sawn
        8/4 mahog. Also,I alway tap the boards and listen for the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
          let's try this instead ...

what would *you* like to talk about?
          If you could have the ultimate guitar,what would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Anderberg View Post
            Light weight, highly resonant body
            25.5" scale "fast" neck
            Strat and humbucker tones
            Looks cool but not so beautiful you're afraid to take it on a gig
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

hmmm - not sure i am the right guy to ask that to - i am far more a 'horses for courses' kinda player rather than an original artist looking for a singular 'voice' ... that said, the major missing guitar tone in my arsenal is a P90 axe - ideally a nice korina-finished piece of black limba - gibson scale - neck carve like my EJ strat - flat radius rosewood board - set up for slide ... and i am a value kinda guy, so fancy finishes / inlays arent as important ... toneful materials, exceptional playability, precision craftsmanship/assembly ... but as i've said on this forum before, any music i play will be more limited by the player than the guitar
              Last edited by tone4days; 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM.
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

When you sit down to play, which guitar do you find yourself reaching for the most?

In response to your question: the ultimate guitar for me would be double cutaway, solid alder body, flame maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, very shiny gloss finish all around, tune-o-matic/stopbar, scorching hot pickups, 22 frets, and a really long neck. In case you were interested.

Cool having you here today.
                Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Hi Michael, and thanks for visiting with us

What do you think are the good and not-so-good things about the way the electric guitar had developed over the decades since they first appeared?

And how do you think it will evolve into the future....good, bad or otherwise......?.....
                  Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Hello Michael,

What are your favorite kind of pickups - single coils, P-90s, humbuckers - and why? Also, what's your procedure with regards to frets (for measuring location, cutting slots, and installation) to insure correct intonation?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by baritone View Post
                      When you sit down to play, which guitar do you find yourself reaching for the most?

In response to your question: the ultimate guitar for me would be double cutaway, solid alder body, flame maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, very shiny gloss finish all around, tune-o-matic/stopbar, scorching hot pickups, 22 frets, and a really long neck. In case you were interested.

Cool having you here today.
                      It`s a hard question to answer is`nt it...every guitar has its own voice and feel.

Comment

Michael, could frets uneven (different heights) cause notes out of tune through the neck?

how can I solve this?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRocker View Post
                          Hello Michael,

What are your favorite kind of pickups - single coils, P-90s, humbuckers - and why? Also, what's your procedure with regards to frets (for measuring location, cutting slots, and installation) to insure correct intonation?

Thank you!
                          I like all of them...it just depends on the type of music your playing.
                          I have a fret scale template and a small blade that matches the kerf
                          on the fretwire. I cut the slots using my table saw and a miter sled.
                          I hammer all my frets in place and put a small drop of superglue on the ends to help hold them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcelo Allende View Post
                            Michael, could frets uneven (different heights) cause notes out of tune through the neck?

how can I solve this?

thanks!
                            It wont cause it to be out of tune,but it will cause buzzing.
                            you`ll need to have your frets leveled an re-dressed.

Comment

haha pretty much a cross between a strat and a les paul with a few other things thrown in.

- Ideally, set neck or neck through with virtually no heel
                              - vintage fender shaped C neck...I find they're the most comfortable, fast, and easy to play.
                              - balanced tonewoods for the body so that it doesn't colour the tone of the pickups too much. flamed/quilted/spalted maple isn't as essential to me as just having a really nice piece of wood that you can see through a finish that enhances the wood rather than covering it up.
                              - I like my control layouts pretty simple, just volume and a pickup selector
                              and either a tune-a-matic/string-thru body bridge, or a floyd rose.
                              - pickups that are also balanced, but with character. There's nothing that sucks more than having a pickup change your tone for the worse when you know the guitar you've got is stellar.

doin some market research eh? hehe

Comment

What's the average build time for a custom guitar?

How often do you find yourself recommending alternative options for a customer's unusual requests?

Do you build your own cases?

Comment

Working...
                                X