X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Michael Anderberg

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    Hi Michael, and thanks for visiting with us

What do you think are the good and not-so-good things about the way the electric guitar had developed over the decades since they first appeared?

And how do you think it will evolve into the future....good, bad or otherwise......?.....
    I think alot of guitars have improved,but it seems like the old ones are the ones people are trying to duplicate.Im kind of an old school guy and I try to keep things simple and uncomplicated.I think the hardware has gotten better
    and the choices of pickups,which is a relatively low cost upgrade,are endless.
    I also like 4-conductor wiring,which increases your tonal options.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      haha pretty much a cross between a strat and a les paul with a few other things thrown in.

- Ideally, set neck or neck through with virtually no heel
      - vintage fender shaped C neck...I find they're the most comfortable, fast, and easy to play.
      - balanced tonewoods for the body so that it doesn't colour the tone of the pickups too much. flamed/quilted/spalted maple isn't as essential to me as just having a really nice piece of wood that you can see through a finish that enhances the wood rather than covering it up.
      - I like my control layouts pretty simple, just volume and a pickup selector
      and either a tune-a-matic/string-thru body bridge, or a floyd rose.
      - pickups that are also balanced, but with character. There's nothing that sucks more than having a pickup change your tone for the worse when you know the guitar you've got is stellar.

doin some market research eh? hehe
      Good choices...sounds like you`re describing one of mine!! I agree with you
      about the fancy woods...it`s more cosmetic than anything.Some of the best guitars i`ve played has just a plain peice of wood on the top.

Comment

If someone owns a cheap LP type copy and loves the way it feels, but doesn't love the tone, what would you do to the guitar first?
        sigpic Wes
        Originally posted by Robert S.
        I love you too Charlie!
        Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanford View Post
          What's the average build time for a custom guitar?

How often do you find yourself recommending alternative options for a customer's unusual requests?

Do you build your own cases?
          It usually takes me around 6-8 weeks after i start. Sometimes less.
          I have`nt had many unusual requests.It`s mostly about pickups and
          placement of the controls.

Comment

Who inspired you most as a guitar builder?

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
              If someone owns a cheap LP type copy and loves the way it feels, but doesn't love the tone, what would you do to the guitar first?
              First thing I would do is change out the pickups to Seymour Duncan,and buy new hardware(tuners,bridges,pots,and switches)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Anderberg View Post
                If you could have the ultimate guitar,what would it be?
                25 scale, a kneck that fills your hand, but doesn't stretch your hand, an LP style bridge, humbuckers, and doesn't weigh a ton. I want sustain for days and a fat tone. I want a durable finish and good balance. The biggest thing that I would like: a switch where you could preset your rhythm volume and your lead volume. The switch would be two position and mounted in position simmular to an LP.
                sigpic Wes
                Originally posted by Robert S.
                I love you too Charlie!
                Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by IbáñezMike View Post
                  Who inspired you most as a guitar builder?
                  Probably Paul Reed Smith and Hamer.

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
                    25 scale, a kneck that fills your hand, but doesn't stretch your hand, an LP style bridge, humbuckers, and doesn't weigh a ton. I want sustain for days and a fat tone. I want a durable finish and good balance. The biggest thing that I would like: a switch where you could preset your rhythm volume and your lead volume. The switch would be two position and mounted in position simmular to an LP.
                    Well,you can do that if you have 2 volumes.

Comment

Michael, I plan to start some projects next year & have a brief question.

What do you feel is the most reliable way to check if your wood stock is ready to cut to shape & use for a guitar?

Should I just weigh it as a gauge for moisture & wait untill it settles?

If the wood needs some planing to true it up, should I wait until it's dry before doing so?

What processes do you use in your shop to monitor your stock?
                      Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                      I find it much easier to pay somebody else to nibble them rather than attempt to do it myself.

I mean I've got mad respect for those of you who can get into the positions required for such a task but I'm just not that flexible.

Comment

I want to extend many thanks to Michael for spending time with us today. Michael, you have some new fans here at Seymour Duncan. Of that I'm sure. And you're welcome to come back anytime and spend time with us.

MikeRocker won the DVD. PM has been sent.

And thanks to all of you for participating.
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                          I want to extend many thanks to Michael for spending time with us today. Michael, you have some new fans here at Seymour Duncan. Of that I'm sure. And you're welcome to come back anytime and spend time with us.

MikeRocker won the DVD. PM has been sent.

And thanks to all of you for participating.
                          Thanks Evan,for having me.It was a pleasure participating in the forum and
                          i`ll be glad to do this again.

Comment

Re: Guest Luthier Series - Michael Anderberg

Cool, thank you very much, can't wait to see it!! And Evan, congrats on 3000 posts!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Anderberg View Post
                              If you could have the ultimate guitar,what would it be?
                              Can't say i have one at the moment. My two electrics are 2 humbuckered, mahogany guitars with 24.75" scale necks. Whilst my setup gets me through from gig to gig fine and i am happy with my guitars, every now and then i play a guitar completely different to what i already have and fall in love! Also as i go through different phases i want different things.

Comment

Originally posted by DazH View Post
                                Michael, I plan to start some projects next year & have a brief question.

What do you feel is the most reliable way to check if your wood stock is ready to cut to shape & use for a guitar?

Should I just weigh it as a gauge for moisture & wait untill it settles?

If the wood needs some planing to true it up, should I wait until it's dry before doing so?

What processes do you use in your shop to monitor your stock?
                                Try to buy wood that is already dry. And yes,you should wait for the wood to dry before planing.

Comment

Working...
                                X