banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Well I replaced my old green cap in my kramer with a orange drop and I can tell a difference for sure!!!! more brighter and top end and not that muffled tone I had.
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables

Comment

For once, I desperately want to be a thread killer.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        For once, I desperately want to be a thread killer.
        I've got a word for ya: euthanasia.

Comment

I'm just gonna unsubscribe
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The forum should have the biohazard sign as an option for threads like this; this must be hazardous to one's health somehow!

Comment

I don't dislike them, yet. I'm getting some buzz, but it could be my solders. I'll check the schematic and sort it out. They are good though, too good. The old Ceramic Discs Caps are the best -- because they are bad. Let me explain. They aren't perfect. They let through lots of highs and harmonics that the new one don't. But because of this imperfection, they sound great. I just checked the caps on my mid 70's Paul and mid 60's Bobkat. Both sound great and they both have the Pancake Caps. If you can find 'em get 'em. If not, Orange Drops are one of the best modern caps -- though quite a bit larger. Make sure you're routed with room to spare.

Here's a 2 part article from Premier Guitar that hipped me to the wonders of tone cap upgrades. Most edifying. Check 'em out . . .

Originally posted by FuelGTRX View Post
              My Les Paul Standard has Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors in it. I bought it used like that. Right now I have a Pearly Gates in the bridge position and an Alnico II Pro in the neck position. Recently I installed a Pearly Gates in my strat. I wired it up with 500K pots with a typical .022 disc cap. Now I know guitars are going to sound different from each other, but the PG in the strat has considerably more output and is a bit more open sounding. Could the Orange Drops be choking the sound of my Les Paul a bit? I'm not sure what value they are, the coding on the side of them does not list the rating.
              Last edited by tzer0; 06-08-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I did the "buy 50 different caps and try them all" test.
                I am in the paper in oil camp. I agree the difference is slight, but it is there. And I am stone deaf in one ear and don't believe in the tooth fairy.
                Next choice would be NOS ceramic.

I also use no-load tone pots in all of my guitars.

And if a humbucker is too bright I won't hesitate to use 250K pots on it.
                Last edited by jimku; 12-24-2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Change your font color
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                  X