banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone NOT like Sprauge Orange Drop capacitors?

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Yeah, but (as I'm sure you know) comparing a standard tone to a no-load tone is not nearly the same as comparing two caps of the same value!

I'd like to try a no-load tone in a couple of my guitars. I have a new Strat that's pretty bright, and it's making me realize how dark the other one is Maybe a no-load tone in the dark one will even them out a bit.
    Matt.....Actually I only use the No Load tone pots in my darker humbucking guitars like my LP and the SG...My single coil strats and Teles don't need it..And yes,good point about the comparisons...These days I can finally say,I just play and enjoy it..I spend alot more time playing now than tweaking stuff...
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico
      +100 on this

i find the sprage orange as having some harsh high end. I use regular ceramic disk caps if i haven't at hand PIO caps (I like the Vitamin Q).
      Wow, I have heard Billy from RS Guitarworks say the same exact thing about the Orange drops being harsh on the top end. Well at least there is 3 of us in the world that think PIO sound warmer, and smoother and provide better Tone. Maybe it's not in our imaginations after all

Comment

As of right now your poll shows that 80% of the players can hear a difference between the different kind of caps of the same value??

Last edited by mojoman; 11-25-2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I disagree! Most of you got it wrong...

The reason I choose higher end caps, is because I can more easily make the guitar sing.

Other than that particular reason, there is little tone difference to be heard!
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

tone is personal taste. mine is near fender tweed and bf era territory and sc strats only.
            on a bf+strat setup, the trick is imo to achieve crisp airy highs, without being penetrant.
            back to topic: i can't say much to ODs other than 715, but those sound definately
            crappy to me. to be honest i did experiment more on amps than guitars. My guitars all
            have old (low dc capable) mallories installed.
            every amp i had some time with sounded more airy to me when i removed the 715 and
            put in even cheapo wima mks or xicon pp.
            however, to whoever hooks up on trying caps to find out differences should consider
            to be veeery patient. depending on the materials used, caps age differently and end
            up sounding different as how they did when you soldered them in.
            peace
            b
            ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

In this poll you guys started 70% of the players voted that yes they could hear a difference between different types of .022 caps, nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by mojoman View Post
                https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=179280

In this poll you guys started 70% of the players voted that yes they could hear a difference between different types of .022 caps, nuff said.
                Wow, they actually Deleted the Poll????

Comment

Wow, they actually Deleted the Poll????

Yep!
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

And why was it deleted, maybe because of the Poll results showed 70% of the players could actually tell the difference between capacitors???

Comment

lol y did it get deleted? ?

seriously though when i swapped the cheap stock caps for slightly better disks i did hear a difference, less mud and more clarity and overall better tone, that might have just been an improvement over the stock caps that any better cap would have done though
                      our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                      'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                      And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Lew and Stratdeluxer97 seem to be copping alot about their opinions. On this forum they are two of the most informative and helpful guys here and maybe different caps do or don't make a difference I think the difference in sound pickup height makes is larger though and there are so many other things. I think this thread should be ended and the first few posts should be kept everything that is unrelated or just vicious arguments should be gone (including my post as it wouldn't be related if the arguments hadn't happened). END THREAD
                        Gondola Kid
                        Bandcamp
                        Facebook
                        JimijaymesGuitarist
                        Youtube

Comment

Hmm, I wonder???

Can you hear a difference between.....

a 500K and a 300K pot?

a tube amp and a ss amp?

9's vs 10's with guitar strings?

A crappy patch cord vs a good quality one?

Eric Johnson claims to be able to hear the difference between different batteries in his pedals? (not sure about that one )

I think some of you have to big of egos to admit that someone else may actually be able to hear a difference when you cannot. Or you are afraid to admit you are not the only ones that have been tinkering and playing guitars for 30 years. I will be 49 Sunday and I still have the same wire cutters and needle nose pliers my Dad gave me when I was 12-13 years old. I learn new things everyday, but have not learned much from you guys except that the Testosterone level is very high at this forum and many of you are very close minded.

Carry on...
                          I don't know if anyone can, but yeah, I can hear the subtle difference's in tone......I'm 39, and my acoustics have been exposed to high-end machinery, gunfire, etc...........call it an "industrial environment".......but yeah, I can hear differences between guitar parts, pu seletions, and in general............how a person plays the gutair.

Comment

hearing capabilities are veery different from one person to another.
                            years ago (i didn't own a cd player these days and where amplifying radio signal)
                            i was playin my pa on a newyearsparty - ofcourse quite loud (for dancing waltz and such) but the pa was 3times oversized for this location.
                            radio signal wasn't 100% there and we had here and then some little fizz. Someone
                            came to me and was implying that my pa was going to clipping distortion.
                            i didn't dig this difference was imo amazing. but different people have different abilities

@L.W. Badger
                            i know exactly what you mean. i have tinnitus since army myself but still here farts through concrete what most guys don't believe.
                            Last edited by Baltar; 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM.
                            ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

I put a .022 PIO cap in place of a ceramic cap in a PRS. Tlere was a little difference, things sound a tad smoother. Not much of a change though...I am not a convert to PIO caps.
                              Last edited by Archer_of_Fish; 11-27-2009, 05:55 AM.
                              Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally Posted by James Rock
                                Lew and Stratdeluxer97 seem to be copping alot about their opinions. On this forum they are two of the most informative and helpful guys here and maybe different caps do or don't make a difference I think the difference in sound pickup height makes is larger though and there are so many other things. I think this thread should be ended and the first few posts should be kept everything that is unrelated or just vicious arguments should be gone (including my post as it wouldn't be related if the arguments hadn't happened). END THREAD
                                Thanks James.....I too have nothing further to add to this thread...Play your guitar and enjoy yourselves!

Comment

Working...
                                X